shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else in College? (undergrad or grad)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
Another Psychology student here!

I''ll graduate in a year with a BS in Psychology and Child Development

I plan to continue my education in pursuing a Masters of Psychology and becoming a certified LPC.

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 12:28:33 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I got my Ph.D. fairly recently, and also almost choked on quant methods. So a big shout out to rockstars like KCoursolle! And lots of sympathy your way, Kit!

SarahtheWarrior: Where are you going for gradwork? And what area of classics are you working in?
I''m at Barnard College in NYC right now, and in the fall I''ll be starting at the University of Michigan. It''s the #2 program for classics in the country, so I''m pretty ecstatic. [FYI: I got into #1 (Berkeley), and turning them down felt oh-so-good. California just wasn''t for me.] My focus will be Latin prose, particularly Cicero and Sallust, but that doesn''t really come into play until the dissertation stage. You still have to know everything for the PhD...

34.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
That''s super great Sarah! Isn''t it the best feeling when you''ve worked so hard for something and the competition''s been fierce? A friend from my Ph.D. program who had got offers from 4 of the top 5 programs wrote a letter declining the other 3 offers that went something like: "Thank you for taking the time to offer me this spot. Your program''s profile is very impressive. However, I received many excellent offers this year, and unfortunately, was not able to accept them all. I wish you the best of luck in making me offers in future years. Sincerely..." She didn''t get up the nerve to actually send it though! Haha! If you got any rejection letters at all, you''ll get the joke!

And don''t worry. You don''t actually have to know EVERYTHING. You just have to be able to convince your comp examiners that you do. Two separate matters entirely!
11.gif
Comps scared the c**p out of me when I started my program, but I actually really, really enjoyed preparing for them once I realized that a) part of it was strategic and hence not as impossible a task as I thought and b) reading and re-reading such a comprehensive assortment of material makes you notice new connections and patterns and raises new questions. It was one of the most intellectually exciting parts of the degree!

Good luck! And remember to enjoy yourself.
35.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Civil engineering undergrad, urban planning grad... law school on the horizon.

... a few years in yet a few years still to go.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Undergrad...Majoring in Accounting!!!!
2.gif

cherry_vanilla

Rough_Rock
Undergrad in applied physics focusing on optical engineering, finishing fall ''08 ::shakes fist at courses that only meet once per calendar year:: Then it''s off to grad school either right after that following January or for fall ''09 for the next seven thousand years for a PhD.

I''ve got an optics internship this summer, and I''m in the works to work in the school''s biophysics lab in the fall. Woo college, when do I get a social life again?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I feel like I will always be in college (I am accepting a job soon at a college in CA)...

I did my undergrad (poli-sci and history) at UCLA ''05 like my husband-to-be! I then went and got a MA in History (focus in education in the US) at Columbia University in NYC. My husband-to-be and I are now at UPenn, he is studying Psychological Services, and I am studying Higher Education Management (don''t ask, I study colleges/universities).....

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I''m working towards a doctorate in math.

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 4:08:28 AM
Author: bee*

Date: 4/18/2007 10:39:26 PM
Author: KindredSpirit717
I''m in college, my major is biology/pre-vet. bee*, it''s nice to see a vet student, I''ll have to apply to vet programs soon...yikes!!

Best of luck with your applications!! Where are you applying to? I live in Ireland and we have a good few american students in our college
It''s so difficult to get into Veterinary school here, a lot of students go out of country in order to get a good education for it!! I have my eyes on Cornell, Tufts, and University of Florida. Tufts and UF being my two top choices although I don''t have to apply for two more years. I''m so nervous/terrified because I know a girl who recieved a 4.0 at Cornell for undergrad, and was rejected by the Vet program. Now a days though a lot of schools are looking for those with experience prior to being accepted into the program and I''ve been lucky enough to work at a few Veterinary hospitals, so I''m hoping that will help in setting me apart from other applicants...

as a side note, I see a lot of psychology undergrads/grads here, I was debating between psychology and pre-vet, when I feel decided pre-vet!!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Well, to his credit we do have a great, U-Chicago trained professor. But, you asked for it, so...if you could explain to me how a probit works, like the mechanics of it and what SPSS is doing when you run a probit, I think that would be amazing. We have been doing OLS all semester and I totally get that, but a probit?!? Huh?

We are doing a final assignment where we are "on our own" which is scary since we (my classmates and I) always work together on the homework. So we are all scared and panicking. It''s a vague assignment where we have a data set and a bunch of information on a prison management system and we have to do program evaulation using regression and probability models--I guess. Oy!
14.gif
39.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Going for my Master''s in Music (conducting)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 2:11:31 AM
Author: Jelly
Going for my Master''s in Music (conducting)
soooo coool!!! Can I live vicariously through you? I was a big band geek in high school and it was such a large part of shaping my life experiences. I still play clarinet and piano and miss band quite a bit.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 9:38:06 PM
Date: 4/19/2007 4:08:28 AM

Author: bee*

Date: 4/18/2007 10:39:26 PM

I''m in college, my major is biology/pre-vet. bee*, it''s nice to see a vet student, I''ll have to apply to vet programs soon...yikes!!

Best of luck with your applications!! Where are you applying to? I live in Ireland and we have a good few american students in our college

It''s so difficult to get into Veterinary school here, a lot of students go out of country in order to get a good education for it!! I have my eyes on Cornell, Tufts, and University of Florida. Tufts and UF being my two top choices although I don''t have to apply for two more years. I''m so nervous/terrified because I know a girl who recieved a 4.0 at Cornell for undergrad, and was rejected by the Vet program. Now a days though a lot of schools are looking for those with experience prior to being accepted into the program and I''ve been lucky enough to work at a few Veterinary hospitals, so I''m hoping that will help in setting me apart from other applicants...

as a side note, I see a lot of psychology undergrads/grads here, I was debating between psychology and pre-vet, when I feel decided pre-vet!!

Well best of luck with your application!! Its definitely worth it!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
KindredSpirit, I have two very good friends in vet school now, one at Cornell and one at Michican and I know that they look very carefully at your extracurricular (spelling?) activities... my friend at Cornell worked/ volunteered with animals for YEARS and got involved as much as he could (i''m not kidding, crazy amounts of time). I think that really gave him an edge. Neither of my friends were 100% stellar students but they were very good and showed a HUGE amount of interest in the field. Just FYI
2.gif

My other friend went to Vet school in Italy and LOVED it so abroad isn''t that bad either! Good luck!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 9:37:26 PM
Author: Blenheim
I''m working towards a doctorate in math.

So is my FI. Good for you, that''s not an easy one to get through.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 1:27:46 AM
Author: Kit
Well, to his credit we do have a great, U-Chicago trained professor. But, you asked for it, so...if you could explain to me how a probit works, like the mechanics of it and what SPSS is doing when you run a probit, I think that would be amazing. We have been doing OLS all semester and I totally get that, but a probit?!? Huh?

We are doing a final assignment where we are ''on our own'' which is scary since we (my classmates and I) always work together on the homework. So we are all scared and panicking. It''s a vague assignment where we have a data set and a bunch of information on a prison management system and we have to do program evaulation using regression and probability models--I guess. Oy!
14.gif
39.gif

What exactly do you need to know about a probit? Do you need the math behind it? Or simply how to interpret it? Or...? If you''re more specific I can help you too. But the explanations are somewhat lengthy, so it would be much better if you can nail down exactly what you need to know!

Best of luck.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
I''m graduating officially on July 12, though comencement is June 1. Then, hopefully law school.

I''m an Africana Studies major. I haven''t a drop of African in me, but I just felt connected to it, so I majored in it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results