shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else hate fireworks with a passion?

Do you hate or love fireworks or have no opinion either way.

• HATE fireworks. They're noisy and dangerous in the hands of most lay people.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • LOVE fireworks. C'mon where's your spirit and joy?

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Ahh, I don't really care. I have more important things on my mind. Just show me the results please.

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK yes so I am that bah humbug you kids get off my lawn middle aged person now. Thing is I have always been like this so I was born old. I prefer to think of myself as an old soul but feel free to think of me otherwise...:cheeky: it doesn't bother me.

I HATE fireworks.:nono: Why? Because it terrifies all the fur babies :-o and it's loud and dangerous when not in the hands of skilled people. :knockout:

I am OK with one or 2 fireworks July 4th shows in the hands of PROFESSIONALS. But not cool to have fireworks set off every night for the next 10 days just because being around the 4th of July holiday dates gives (ignorant IMO) people an excuse to shoot them off whenever they feel like it. They scare the kitties and the dogs and they freakin disturb the peace and quiet. And at worst they can cause irrevocable harm to people who aren't super careful or know what they are doing.

So yeah I hate fireworks. With the exception of the annual July 4th planned and safe fireworks holiday show though truth be told I would not be sad if that no longer existed either but I tolerate that and it is pretty to see.

calvinandhobbesindependenceday.png

Calvin-Hobbes-Snoopy-Dancing.jpg

Having said that I hope everyone enjoys a fun and safe July fourth holiday.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I don't like them either, for all the reasons you mention.

On top of unskilled, add drinking and carelessness to the equation.

You didn't mention the dust that is all over the cars after.

Luckily my girl seems totally unfazed by them it's the funniest thing. She will run away at the mere sight of a human, but explosions and helicopters? Nope. :lol: My boy is a little more sensitive to the noise but he is so trusting of me or something that if I talk to him and say "good boy it's OK" he will usually understand it's safe and not run away. (that's with any noise or anything that scares him.) That's my recollection of the fireworks from years past. We had a few random fireworks last night and so far this held true.

But I still always think of all the stray kitties out there and other animals who ARE scared.

So yeah, I don't like them.

And honestly, even the big displays I find boring for the most part. Or I should say they're not worth the hassle of driving somewhere finding parking, etc. If I can see them from my house, OK, maybe. And they are pretty sometimes and can put a smile on my face. But I don't *love* them.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fireworks are not allowed in our city. I think that is also true for a number of other cities near us. I am not sad by this. There is a 10 minute show or so done by the city and that is it. Nothing else.

I saw drunk people injured setting them off when I was younger. I also saw the professionals accidentally start a fire. I think they can be safe in the right places done by the right people, but other places are too dry or crowded to do safely.

It scares the animals. Dogs can and do smash out windows of houses trying to escape them. It is a horrible time for shelters as so many get brought in.

Add to that our veterans who are made uncomfortable by the gun-like noises around them. Not to mention certain areas where guns and fireworks blend together.

Oh... And that awful smell and the smoke.

Yuck.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the big ones done by cities/counties but not so much the DIYers. I still think they are dangerous no matter who is doing them.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

I am firmly in the "Only if done by professionals" mentality regarding fireworks.

I grew up in a family of men who (at a time when fireworks were illegal in our state) would make a yearly pilgrimage to Pedro's South of the Border and buy truckloads full of them. They are smoky and can easily get away from you if you don't know what you're doing.

However I enjoy going to see the fireworks done by the fire department in my town. They put on a nice display I can watch from a comfortable distance with a beer in hand the way our founding fathers intended!

IMG_0753.JPG

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved 'em back in the day. We couldn't afford the bigger stuff, but I was a fiend for the little carbon snake things, sparklers, and strings of lady fingers. All set a-going by adults of course - I was pretty young. Of course, in our safety-mad culture now, they are not allowed within city limits. And I actually agree with that - some idiot with pop bottle rockets, burning down a house, is very uncool. But did I like them? Yes, I did. Would I still like them? I think so, yes. Would I like them in an area with a dense concentration of people all doing them at the same time? Nope. Not any more.

Best professional show I've ever seen was a Memorial Day show, watched from a corner room on the 17th floor of the Westin in Kansas City. It overlooked the park-side of the WWI Memorial. The pros were on the parking area side, setting them off, so we were very very close to the action. It was super wet there that weekend, but unlike the people squelching out on the soaked grass of the park, we were in our warm, dry jammies, in our room with the entire wall of floor-to-ceiling windows, drinking wine, and going, "Oooo! Ahhhh!!!"! It was an uninterruped stream of the most high end fireworks I've ever seen in person, for like 30 minutes. It was amazing.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love fireworks shows! If done right they are beautiful. :kiss:

That being said, I don't like that people are setting off fireworks sporadically for over two weeks around here. One of my dogs hates the sounds so she goes into a frenzy of barking and heavy panting. No one is getting any sleep, while that's going on. :wall:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't hate them; I think they're pretty - but yes, they are too loud and it always seems such a pity to see SO much money literally going up in smoke. On balance I think they're a waste and would prefer the money to be donated to a homeless shelter.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fireworks aren't allowed in my city either but neighbors all around us have been setting them off this past weekend and I expect this continue thru the 4th. There's no enforcement. I get annoyed.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I love a fireworks show, but I hate my neighbors with their loud booming fireworks that make the Westies freak out for hours: Panting, pacing, cannot be calmed, hiding in the closets, ALL NIGHT LONG. Just when I think we've had the last BOOM! and the dogs will sleep, here comes the next one.

Fireworks are illegal in my city but are sold at Costco and also on county islands---the police don't enforce.

I confronted our actual next-door neighbor one year about his New Year's Eve explosives at midnight custom. He stopped doing it in his driveway---I just wanted him to go over to the high school parking lot and do it there rather than next to my house.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like firework displays by professional, but see them so rarely--they are illegal here. Truth be told, I think they can be dangerous and I am not comfortable using them myself.

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually love fireworks!

Theyre illegal here without a permit, but you can buy them at the small town places if you want to look hard enough. Being Canada 150 this year all the cities made a big fuss about on a big show, but we didn't want to drive in to see them. We were sitting on our patio on Saturday (july 1) and some neighbourhood kids set them off. I enjoyed them. Probably stupid kids doing stupid kid things.
Here we only have them on the one day. Not for 2 weeks or anything. The only time I myself have ever set them off was when we happened to be in the states for July 4 haha. I did it more just to do it, because its relatively difficult to even find fireworks here.

I do understand that it can be damaging to animals and vets though. That breaks my heart :(

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've come to not like them because the dog gets absolutely bonkers. In my neighborhood they've been doing that crap all week until 2am. I'm thankful that for the most part, my house is relatively soundproof but it still penetrates.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no problem with the ones done by the professionals, My problem is when people who are not professionals spend an afternoon drinking at a party and then decide to have their very own firework show. It's terrible where we live. The house actually shakes. They shoot the very loud ones off until 2:00 AM here and it's never just a one day thing. We will have fireworks going off until next Sunday night here. My furbaby hates them and has been sick the past few days with stomach issues so the next few days will be a joy. I feel like that "get off my lawn" old lady today.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy fireworks done by professionals in a safe location. We used to go see our town's display every year when our D was younger.

I loathe the ones done in our neighborhood. We have found them on our lawn; what if they had landed on our roof? This actually happened at a church my H used to attend; it caused a fire and part of the roof was lost.

Years ago, I treated a 17 y.o. who had extensive severe burns (from his armpits to just above his groin) from fireworks.

And my cat was always terrified by the noise.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate them, my poor girl is terrified and tries to hide. We bought her a Thundershirt, and it's helped a little.

I think organised displays are ok, as long as they're far enough away not to disturb people and pets, but IMO it should be illegal for individuals to buy them. As for people using any excuse to set them off :angryfire: There should be only specific dates and restricted times when they're allowed.

I'm sure I've read that the Italians have fireworks that are completely silent whilst still being pretty. They should be compulsory everywhere as far as I'm concerned.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As many have pointed out, the local constabularies (term used TIC) seem reluctant to issue citations. In these parts, the reluctance can be chalked up to at least partial agreement with "This is "mercuh, and citizens should be able to do as they please", to a likely understanding that the people that who will ignore a local ordinance about no fireworks, are likely to have more than one firearm that they feel pretty strongly about using as it suits them, too. All perfectly PERFECTLY legally owned of course, but you're talking about pissing off the well-armed. It truly is just another of the many ironies of living in Gunland.

That said, I can deal with the fireworks MUCH better than the guns. Last New Year's Eve, sounded like a friggin' war zone for a full 30 minutes. And yes, I DO know quite well, the difference between firework sounds and gun retort.

And yeah, it certainly didn't sound like anyone thought they were going to get "reprimanded" for that either. *eyeroll*

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Fireworks only in the hands of professionals. There's no reason that people are setting off fire works around my house for the 4 days. My dog is terrified of the noise. It's so sad to watch her because I cannot do anything to help. So my vote - I'm not a fan and cannot wait for them to stop.

My poor girl can't pee in peace once the sun sets. :confused:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't go out of my way at all to see fireworks anywhere. They are fine when done by professionals. We've just gone through 2 nights of Canada Day neighbourhood type fireworks. Dogs hated it. Major display by neighbour 2 doors down last night. Cool. All I could think was why on earth did they spend so much $$$$ on such a frivolous thing? It's expensive and such a waste. From a practical standpoint, complete waste of money.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like them, either.
Years ago, when I lived in Ohio, we went to see an organized show put on by our town.
A 12 year old girl was killed when one of the tubes tipped sideways and shot into the crowd.

Around here it is hot and very dry, and all summer long there is a threat of fires.
However, fireworks tents are set up in almost every supermarket parking lot, selling what is considered "legal" around here. It is so stupid. Everyone is worried about the fire threat, but --Hey, let's sell fireworks!
The governor tried to ban them several years ago, but was not successful.

Also, let's not forget about the dumb f*cks who shoot their guns off at midnight.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what most of us here are grousing about is not so much the actual fireworks - although I get that they upset the critters, a valid point certainly - as much as the fact that the US (especially) has now officially hit some critical mass of stupid, massively self-absorbed people for whom even the acknowledgement that there is a community instead of a ME-ME-ME-ity, is beyond them.

ETA - Attack of The Typo Queen!! Sheesh....

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couldn't agree more Ksinger. Wow about the gunshots. Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.

My father is one who constantly talks about his 2nd amendment rights and how it's everyone right to have multiple guns (blah, blah, blah). A week ago he called extremely concerned that one of his neighbors was mad at him and the guy has a houseful of guns. He didn't seem to appreciate it when I recited one of the 20 sayings about guns that he is always saying.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couldn't agree more Ksinger. Wow about the gunshots. Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.

My father is one who constantly talks about his 2nd amendment rights and how it's everyone right to have multiple guns (blah, blah, blah). A week ago he called extremely concerned that one of his neighbors was mad at him and the guy has a houseful of guns. He didn't seem to appreciate it when I recited one of the 20 sayings about guns that he is always saying.

LOL! Something assuring him that anger or not, his neighbor bought that "houseful" of guns legally and would NEVER use them incorrectly therefore?

On the plus side, maybe his lack of appreciation shows that his irony-meter is completely beyond hope?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love fireworks shows! If done right they are beautiful. :kiss:

That being said, I don't like that people are setting off fireworks sporadically for over two weeks around here. One of my dogs hates the sounds so she goes into a frenzy of barking and heavy panting. No one is getting any sleep, while that's going on. :wall:

This. Ugh, my poor dogs. :-o:(

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight is a big show two blocks away but I can't be bothered. Bah humbug!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am with you Missy, for all of the reasons you stated! It drives me crazy every New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. More important than keeping my kids awake at all hours and terrifying my dog, how about those veterans who have PTSD at loud noises??? Have a little respect for them!! They secured your right to shoot off fireworks whenever you choose, how about showing some compassion?? Don't get me started!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to watch the ones professionals shoot off but don't care for the people who think the rules don't apply to them and just shoot them off anywhere.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am happy to see a professional fireworks show, be it on the 4th of July, or at Disneyland, a ballpark, or anywhere else.

I am not a fan of non-professional individuals setting off pretty explosives for their own entertainment. The possibiliies of injury are too frightening to me.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
they are dangerous in the hands on non-professionals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results