shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else being more careful?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
With the links you click on due to this April Fool''s virus we heard so much about? Whenever some like this comes around, I find myself being so cautious. I don''t have great antivirus stuff on my home computer, so I should probably be careful all the time, but what can I say, over time, the urge to click every link psers post overcomes me!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Having been the victim of a virus late last year, i'm now ALWAYS careful with links I click on or sites I access. Same goes for FB- I only accept "stuff" from applications I already have on my profile. I hate IGNORING other requests, but that's my rule!

Our IT dept here at work updated our virus protection last week, and sent out a couple of tech bulletins alerting us what to look for with Conflicker. So far, so good!

Sabine- i'm not a techie person at all, but I totally recommend TREND MICRO for virus protection. a friend who's an IT director told me about it, 'cause i was having issues with Norton. We've been using TM on our home computers for a bit over a year now and haven't had any problems!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I probably spend 60 to 70 hours a week surfing the net. I was an early adopter since 1990. In all those years I''ve only gotten a virus ONCE (and that was 2 months ago from a **** site link
23.gif
20.gif
).

I do run AVG free, but I''m not religious about updating.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 7:22:07 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I probably spend 60 to 70 hours a week surfing the net. I was an early adopter since 1990. In all those years I''ve only gotten a virus ONCE (and that was 2 months ago from a **** site link
23.gif
20.gif
).

ha ha ha ha ha, snort, oh now we know how you spend your free time, ha ha ha ha ha.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 7:24:03 PM
Author: Linda W

23.gif
20.gif
).

ha ha ha ha ha, snort, oh now we know how you spend your free time, ha ha ha ha ha.

oh dear GAWD, PPear you are either a glutton for punishment or crazy to give PSers info like that. If you''re lucky, Dancing Fire won''t see this thread.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 7:36:37 PM
Author: Matata
Date: 4/2/2009 7:24:03 PM

Author: Linda W

I probably spend 60 to 70 hours a week surfing the net. I was an early adopter since 1990. In all those years I've only gotten a virus ONCE (and that was 2 months ago from a **** site link
23.gif
20.gif
).

I do run AVG free, but I'm not religious about updating.

oh dear GAWD, PPear you are either a glutton for punishment or crazy to give PSers info like that. If you're lucky, Dancing Fire won't see this thread.

I was thinking the exact same thing, ha ha ha ha ha. Edited to add: You had better hope Dancing Fire doesn't see this thread, I can imagine what he will say, ha ha ha ha. I am rolling here.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Clearly I don''t spend time surfing **** or I wouldn''t have made 18 years virus free
2.gif

It was a pop up that was shall we say unusual
31.gif
20.gif
12.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 7:42:41 PM
Clearly I don''t spend time surfing **** or I wouldn''t have made 18 years virus free
2.gif

hmmmmm....... **** + POP UP + UNUSUAL
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

need more information please!

31.gif

LS

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 7:51:32 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Date: 4/2/2009 7:42:41 PM

2.gif

hmmmmm....... **** + POP UP + UNUSUAL
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

need more information please!

31.gif

LS

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sabine I have avast on my computer - it is free and works great no problems here :).

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know about all these anti-virus programs...I worked on an old computer in my office for 3 years, and there were tons of people on it before me. It had no virus protection what-so-ever (apart from its own firewall) , and I never had a problem with it. Last year, I decided to build a super computer for my trading, and the tech advised me to put anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware etc...the whole lot. Not only was I constantly barraged by warnings every time I wanted to do something, I got two viruses in one year! I use my computer strictly for work, so where I picked them up I do not know...after finally getting rid of them, I took off all the protection and downloaded AVG free. I update when I remember. My computer has been fine ever since. I am not saying they don''t work...I just wonder sometimes.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I love AVG Free! It usually reminds me to update the definitions so I make sure it is updated at least a few times a week.

I do the same as you Chargergrrl - all those crazy apps just get an "Ignore!" from me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LMAO PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A **** site?!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
people SHOULD be careful on the internet. paranoid is better than totally unaware. also, just because your computer 'runs fine' does not mean you are protected or safe... a lot can be going on behind the scenes that regular users wouldn't see.

everyone should run some sort of internet security protection. with free, typically you have to run three or four different software programs to equal one more robust security product. people spend or move around thousands of dollars a year on the internet...spend the $30 or $40 on a good product to protect yourselves and your info.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 2:10:18 AM
Author: Mara
people SHOULD be careful on the internet. paranoid is better than totally unaware. also, just because your computer ''runs fine'' does not mean you are protected or safe... a lot can be going on behind the scenes that regular users wouldn''t see.

everyone should run some sort of internet security protection. with free, typically you have to run three or four different software programs to equal one more robust security product. people spend or move around thousands of dollars a year on the internet...spend the $30 or $40 on a good product to protect yourselves and your info.
Big ditto.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
PP, my mind is going crazy here imagining what you might have been oh so tempted to click on...!

The whole virus software thing really does confuse me. When I was in college, it was my Norton that actually got infected and lead to my computer being fried beyond repair.

I used AVG free on my next computer, and it worked for a while, but I still did get viruses and had to reinstall windows a few times.

Now I''m using something called Avira that is also a freebee, but I definitely don''t think it does much. My husband''s work sent around a link to a scan to specifically check for the Conflicter thing, and he scanned his computer in 30 seconds. I tried the scan, and it ran for hours and never finished. I restarted the scan, and let it run overnight, and it was still running in the morning when I had to shut down my computer to take it to work.

I love that at work we mostly use Macs. I so want a Mac as my next computer, but I just couldn''t afford it this time around.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You also need to be very careful if dealing with your personal finances on a computer, if you aren't adequately protected with a good anti virus program, it can lead to untold problems, so a good anti virus protection is so worth it for the potential trouble it can help protect against. Sometimes what you might think is a completely safe link can be infected with a trojan or other malware that you DON'T want on your computer, so you need to be aware at all times.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
20.gif
).

lol, i WAS going to say the same thing...except the ****. I blame that on living with boys in my late teens/early 20''s
23.gif
20.gif
. And they would always forget that just because they closed the web page down, doesn''t mean it didn''t happen!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t usually click on the links because my computer is slow and it takes forever!
I will be extra careful though.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
PP you are NOT allowed to say something like that and then LEAVE
38.gif
38.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe this was all over the news and then ---- nothing.

I''m not really worried about our home computers (macs, closed network/firewall, etc), but it freaks me out that so much of my personal info is stored on computers all over the place (hospitals, work, other people''s PCs, etc) - and that''s not something I can even control. So, more careful? Nah. Reminded how easy it would be to be a victim of identity theft? Oh yes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results