shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone do voice work?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So my DH has an amazing voice. Everyone comments on it. EVERYONE (and some people need a freaking FILTER, let me tell you!).

We've done some research on fiver and some other websites... and it's all confusing to me. I feel like I am navigating multiple used car lots.

What I need is first person advice from people who themselves, or whose family members have done this.

It would be a fantastic way for him to make money. Especially as it would let him have time to write as well.

So... advice of what TO do, what NOT to do. Who to talk to? What companies to work with? What companies to avoid?

THANK YOU!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a fair amount of studio work in my younger days and the voice over people typically were actors with great vocal quality and training similar to what storytellers have.

A friend is Tina on Bob's Burgers and he got that gig by being a stand up comedian/comedy writer in the right bunch of guys in Los Angeles who came out of Harvard.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In my business, I use voice talent. Essentially, he has to produce a sample reel, then contact & send it out to various production companies.

His sample reel should include various interpretations or 'types' he excels at. Voice over work includes not only how his voice sounds, but his cadence of speech, his interpretation of the copy, projection of the same, various accents and so forth, resulting in the final combination & delivery. The production company would be a better source for what he should include on his sample reel.

The company I use currently has over 100 various VO (once over) talents--categorized by 'type'. Depending on the production value of the project, voice talent per use can range from $50 & above, and then it depends if the talent is union or non-union.

Type-casting voice talent depends on the quality of his voice type, including cadence, accent, projection, interpretation etc. Its a multifaceted line of work, plus lucrative as it can be done from anywhere & sent anywhere.

I can talk off line re details if you'd like Gypsy. :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahb, how are your dogs???????? And of course, you :lol: :lol: I hope all is well, missed you around these parts.

(Did not mean to threadjack, carry on.)

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Christy! :bigsmile: How are you! Hope you are well & Finn too!!

Its been a rough year for this household as far as fur babies go, we've lost 2 of the 3--both within the last 4 months, both to cancer. Jack is 12 in Dec & is the remaining baby, (my avatar) & he just doesn't know what to make of it so far. He's been eating sporadically & been really clingy--which is not a problem, I've been taking him everywhere. Poor baby Jack. We go for walks, grocery runs, etc etc. King was 15 & Pepsi was 10 days away from her 17th B-Day. So they had quite a run & gave us tremendous joy. We are all adjusting. :((

I've been lurking a bit here & there, never could leave all this eye candy! :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - the Learning Exchange in Sacramento has someone who provides training and background information for voice work. http://www.learningexchange.com/

One of my friend started working with this woman - but I think she interrupted her work until she finished a degree program. Anyhow, acting is part of it, so your hubby might want to look into local acting or improve classes as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1480296303|4103020 said:
Gypsy - the Learning Exchange in Sacramento has someone who provides training and background information for voice work. http://www.learningexchange.com/

One of my friend started working with this woman - but I think she interrupted her work until she finished a degree program. Anyhow, acting is part of it, so your hubby might want to look into local acting or improve classes as well.

That's perfect. Thank you!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1480275443|4102938 said:
Christy! :bigsmile: How are you! Hope you are well & Finn too!!

Its been a rough year for this household as far as fur babies go, we've lost 2 of the 3--both within the last 4 months, both to cancer. Jack is 12 in Dec & is the remaining baby, (my avatar) & he just doesn't know what to make of it so far. He's been eating sporadically & been really clingy--which is not a problem, I've been taking him everywhere. Poor baby Jack. We go for walks, grocery runs, etc etc. King was 15 & Pepsi was 10 days away from her 17th B-Day. So they had quite a run & gave us tremendous joy. We are all adjusting. :((

I've been lurking a bit here & there, never could leave all this eye candy! :wavey:

Oh Sarah I am so very very sorry to hear of this. What wonderful and joyful lives they had with you, filled with love and happy times. King and Pepsi had it SO SO GOOD. :saint: :saint: :saint: Big hugs to Jack, who is grieving right alongside you. :angel: :angel: :angel: May 2017 be a much kinder year to all of you.

Finn has oral surgery tomorrow. He is now 14 and even though his rear legs are not in good shape he is so happy and he is healthy in every other way. We didn't want to put him through this but it looks like he could go another couple of years WITH LUCK!!! so we had to get the teeth handled before they created problems. Please hold a good thought for Finnie boy tomorrow, thank you!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1480319313|4103067 said:
VRBeauty|1480296303|4103020 said:

That's perfect. Thank you!

Gypsy, how cool and maybe this could be lucrative AND fulfilling for your DH and his beautiful voice :appl: :appl: :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thought - admittedly only marginally related to your original question. Can your hubby carry a tune? Singing in some sort of choir might help him through this difficult time. I'm sure there are some local singing groups looking for voices - some of them are probably offering holiday concerts that would give you an opportunity to check them out.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
azstonie|1480261589|4102891 said:
A friend is Tina on Bob's Burgers and he got that gig by being a stand up comedian/comedy writer in the right bunch of guys in Los Angeles who came out of Harvard.

I love that show!!! Tina and bob are my 2 favourite characters!!

I have never done any voiceover stuff but I have done growling/screaming vocals for bands where producing the exact, desired sound is incredibly difficult as it is doing multiple things internally at once. When people see my face as I do vocals they say I look like I am in pain or angry, but it's more because my face expresses how difficult it is to produce that sound. I don't really sing but I've been told by vocalists those guttural vocals are a lot harder than singing.

I've watched people do voiceover recordings for shows like Futurama and I quite often see the same kind of effort and facial expressions as when I do my thing. It makes me wonder how similar it is to my vocals, if at all.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1480368302|4103187 said:

I love that show!!! Tina and bob are my 2 favourite characters!!

I have never done any voiceover stuff but I have done growling/screaming vocals for bands where producing the exact, desired sound is incredibly difficult as it is doing multiple things internally at once. When people see my face as I do vocals they say I look like I am in pain or angry, but it's more because my face expresses how difficult it is to produce that sound. I don't really sing but I've been told by vocalists those guttural vocals are a lot harder than singing.

I've watched people do voiceover recordings for shows like Futurama and I quite often see the same kind of effort and facial expressions as when I do my thing. It makes me wonder how similar it is to my vocals, if at all.

Jordy, I will see if I can get you something fun from Tina!!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That would be amazing azstonie!! Just have to figure out how I can send my details now... :think:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me ask Missy, she knows how to do this. Back shortly.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I did a fair amount of studio work in my younger days and the voice over people typically were actors with great vocal quality and training similar to what storytellers have.

OMG, sorry for the threadjack but you know DAN MINTZ!? My husband and I love Bob's Burgers and Tina is my fave. <3

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I know Dan and Mike (his brother). We were all living in Anchorage at that time =) His dad, his aunt and I all became friends after working together. Dan got married a couple years ago and he and Margie have two sweet kids :bigsmile:

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, don't know if it's appropriate to chime in here (I just created an account on PS recently for diamond picking help) but your past threads have been so helpful to me that I thought I would share some insight.

Like sarahb I also work in a field that utilizes a lot of VO talent and I usually have final say in the casting process.
I think sarahb's suggestions are spot on regarding finding an agency and getting a sample reel together.

I can only really speak to the SoCal/LA part of the industry but we generally cast either union (SAG/AFTRA) or non-union talent.
Union talent get paid a "scale" fixed rate per 4 hour recording session, while non-union talent generally negotiates on a per-project basis.
SAG/AFTRA union talent are members of the union just like any other actor and most have had smaller parts in television although many are also classically theater trained. What I'm getting at here is that voice acting is a skill just like regular acting, in some ways easier and in some ways harder because the actor's face is not seen so all of the emotion and expression has to come through in the voice.

While there is certainly no need to join a union, I think the skill set is similar so I second the opinion that some acting training will be very helpful if this is something your husband is interested in pursuing.
While the standards may be different for radio ads or narration (I mainly cast for dramatic parts) essentially what the agents and casting directors are going to be looking for is a mellifluous voice (that's a given) coupled with the ability to convey feelings and emotion in a very compact way - a voice actor can't look happy so they have to be able to sound happy.

One exercise to try is come up with a very mundane sentence, something like "I'm going to the store for ice cream" and practice saying it with different types of emotional undertones. Are you going to the store to get ice cream because you are so happy and want to celebrate with ice cream, or are you going because you are devastated after a break-up and want to console yourself? The best voice actors can convey those exact feelings with just the words in that sentence.
After practicing, record those attempts and play them back to family and friends - how convincing do they sound?
That's essentially the "acting" part of voice acting.

Again, apologies if I am out of line commenting here but this caught my eye. I wish you and your husband the best of luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
a-s-80, az-stone and sarah thank you, that was very helpful!

I am having trouble with PS so can't see past posts to see all your names. But I have sent this thread to my husband (he is on PS rarely under MisterGypsy).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results