shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone colorblind?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter is colorblind. Apparently in girls it''s rare? My husband is and my father is. My mother wasn''t and I''m not and my brother wasn''t. So am I a carrier of this gene and because my husband is, I passed it to her? Just curious. She is very interested in this subject but hasn''t been able to find the info online. Oh and my husband''s grandfather was, so am guessing he got it passed to him from his mother? It''s not that I am beating myself up or anything. Ashley and I are trying to figure this out. She''s almost 20 and has dealt with it very well. I just figured she got it from her dad and her grandfather, had no idea for a girl to get it, it''s much harder to pass on? She asked me to start a thread on this, hoping someone here can shed some light on this subject. TIA. Lisa

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is colourblind with green/blue/grey. My daughters and I are not. It is a really complex issue. I had my best friend (a biologist) explain it to me, as I was under the impression that it was very rare in girls. Honestly, as is often the case, I've forgotten most of what she told me! Way over my head.
34.gif
I'll try look into it online. Sometimes I get pretty lucky with this stuff.

Look here for a simple genetic analysis for starters. It appears that the mother has to be a carrier to produce a daughter with the disorder, and with the colourblind father, it's much more likely. ETA: it looks like your dad is the one who gave you the recessive gene in order for this outcome. I find it all fascinating really.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lisa,

Me and my daughter are color blind, but it's very slight. She brought it to my attention when she was in 5th grade (she's in 8th grade now). She told me she was having trouble seeing the letters on the board when the teacher used red, but could see it fine when she used black. We went to the eye doctor and he said it was a partial color blindness and it is usually passed on from the dad's side. He was showing her a book with pictures to test for color blindness, and that's when I found out I was color blind too. So apparently, she got it from me
33.gif
I really don't get it, but I know that some colors are not sharp/clear to me and some times we see purple when others see blue...stuff like that....it's weird. I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

ETA: Here is the test he gave both of us.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 8:35:17 PM
Author: lyra
My husband is colourblind with green/blue/grey. My daughters and I are not. It is a really complex issue. I had my best friend (a biologist) explain it to me, as I was under the impression that it was very rare in girls. Honestly, as is often the case, I''ve forgotten most of what she told me! Way over my head.
34.gif
I''ll try look into it online. Sometimes I get pretty lucky with this stuff.

Look here for a simple genetic analysis for starters.
Thanks lyra. I will check that out. Honestly it''s over both of our heads, but really want to know the answer.
2.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Lisa, I''ve been steadily editing my first post there. You might want to check it out again.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Marvel and lyra. I find this very interesting. Who knew?? We picked up on it very early. Ash had many eye exams, due to her having Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthirtis. JRA can in some cases can lead to blindness. I was way more concerned with her JRA than her being colorblind. It's a mean disease but again early intervention was key.
ETA: My son is not colorblind.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Lisa, colorblindness is caused by a gene that is coded on the X chromosome. Since boys only have one X chromosome, they will be colorblind if they get a "defective" X. For girls, they need TWO copies of the defective gene to be colorblind because colorblindness is recessive. In other words, one good gene is enough to give you normal color vision. That is the reason that it is more common in boys. They only need one colorblind X, while girls need two. So, yes that means you are a carrier- one copy from you, and one from your husband.

Your son was lucky enough to get your good X chromosome, so no problems for him! Daughter on the other hand unfortunately got the bad copy. But tell her she can guilt both you AND your husband
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 9:31:16 PM
Author: icekid
Lisa, colorblindness is caused by a gene that is coded on the X chromosome. Since boys only have one X chromosome, they will be colorblind if they get a ''defective'' X. For girls, they need TWO copies of the defective gene to be colorblind because colorblindness is recessive. In other words, one good gene is enough to give you normal color vision. That is the reason that it is more common in boys. They only need one colorblind X, while girls need two. So, yes that means you are a carrier- one copy from you, and one from your husband.

Your son was lucky enough to get your good X chromosome, so no problems for him! Daughter on the other hand unfortunately got the bad copy. But tell her she can guilt both you AND your husband
9.gif
Thanks icekid!! You explained it so well. You''re going to be a great Doctor!!!
1.gif

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 9:44:36 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Lisa, colorblindness is caused by a gene that is coded on the X chromosome. Since boys only have one X chromosome, they will be colorblind if they get a ''defective'' X. For girls, they need TWO copies of the defective gene to be colorblind because colorblindness is recessive. In other words, one good gene is enough to give you normal color vision. That is the reason that it is more common in boys. They only need one colorblind X, while girls need two. So, yes that means you are a carrier- one copy from you, and one from your husband.

9.gif
1.gif
Just like haemophilia which is why more boys than girls have it.

Correct me if I''m wrong but this means that if your daughter gives birth to any sons, then they will be colour blind?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 10:14:48 PM
Author: Sparkster

9.gif
1.gif

Correct me if I''m wrong but this means that if your daughter gives birth to any sons, then they will be colour blind?
She''d like to know that too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 10:21:36 PM

9.gif
1.gif

She''d like to know that too.
50% chance
http://www.tiresias.org/guidelines/colour_blindness.htm

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/color_blindness.jsp

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Typical hereditary color blindness is red/green, and is sensed by cones in the retina. Color is sorted by wavelengths, red is seen on the longest, green in the middle and blue on the shortest. Women only give the X chromosome. It is a deficiency of the X chromosome that is responsible for most forms of congenital color blindness. So, a woman with one deficient X is a carrier. For her to be color blind both of her X chromosomes must be affected. It is the chromosome from the male that determines gender, two X's is a girl and XY is a boy. If color blindness is linked only to the X's from the mom, who gives one that is deficient, and the father is not color blind, it would seem to me then that the child of a color blind mother and not color blind father is going to be a carrier. If the mom is a carrier and the child gets the X that is not affected, but the dad gives an X that is, the child again would be a girl who is a carrier. Would also assume that the father would have to give a deficient X to his daughter along with the one from the mother for the child to be colorblind. If they have a boy, and the mom gives her X which is deficient, he will be color blind, since the Y is not a factor.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh:

Tell your daughter not to worry to much.

I am partially color blind; and still have lots of fun fun and fun...

Its a form of red-green; but not the classic red green. Some other stuff mixed in there.

One thing though... I tend to wear blue - because I can always see blue and know how to match it. Of course black and white are easy too. But, there are colors I have no idea what to do with: unless they are a T shirt - then they always match... especially if they have a cute saying on them.

Also, what I see as blue... might not be what you see as blue. (and that carries over to other colors too).

Have fun - and tell your daughter to enjoy her uniqueness.

Perry

ps: color blind people are really good at pattern recognition jobs. In WW I to now... a color blind person often can spot camaflouge that most people do not recognize.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it can be an advantage in certain types of settings where sorting certain colors is concerned.

She could not be a pilot or something that required discriminating red from green, but other than that I do not think it will ever be a factor. How is she with driving and seeing traffic lights?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 12:07:06 AM
Author: perry
Kaleigh:

Tell your daughter not to worry to much.

I am partially color blind; and still have lots of fun fun and fun...

Its a form of red-green; but not the classic red green. Some other stuff mixed in there.

One thing though... I tend to wear blue - because I can always see blue and know how to match it. Of course black and white are easy too. But, there are colors I have no idea what to do with: unless they are a T shirt - then they always match... especially if they have a cute saying on them.

Also, what I see as blue... might not be what you see as blue. (and that carries over to other colors too).

Have fun - and tell your daughter to enjoy her uniqueness.

Perry

ps: color blind people are really good at pattern recognition jobs. In WW I to now... a color blind person often can spot camaflouge that most people do not recognize.
Thanks Perry. She''s fine, just wanting some answers. I hear you on the blue, she loves blue. It''s one color she gets. But some colors of blue are not what I see. I think this is all very interesting, thanks for your input. I well remember having to help my dad dress, what color tie would go with his suit. I am still doing that with my husband. I recently gave away many of his ties that he just had no clue what color they were. So now his closet is more organized and color blind friendly? Same for Ash when we go shopping, often times she will want to know what color the dress is that she wants to try on. She takes me aside, so no one will hear, and say Mom, what color is this, is it purple?? It''s hard, as I hate telling her no, it''s green sweetie. But she''s a great sport and looks good in almost any color!!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Storm lots to read and pass on. Very helpful. And thanks DF driving is not a problem, thank goodness, they can tell which light is lit up. She''s been driving for a long time now, so knock on wood, it''s ok. I am so supersticious.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is the only thing I would have been concerned about. Otherwise I hate to downplay something, but it seems minor in the scheme of things. I am sure she does great, and it is just in the back of her mind.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 11:43:54 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 2/27/2008 10:21:36 PM

Lisa, colorblindness is caused by a gene that is coded on the X chromosome. Since boys only have one X chromosome, they will be colorblind if they get a 'defective' X. For girls, they need TWO copies of the defective gene to be colorblind because colorblindness is recessive. In other words, one good gene is enough to give you normal color vision. That is the reason that it is more common in boys. They only need one colorblind X, while girls need two. So, yes that means you are a carrier- one copy from you, and one from your husband.

9.gif
Thanks icekid!! You explained it so well. You're going to be a great Doctor!!!
1.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but this means that if your daughter gives birth to any sons, then they will be colour blind?
She'd like to know that too.
50% chance

http://www.tiresias.org/guidelines/colour_blindness.htm

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/color_blindness.jsp
Not true, unless I'm reading the question wrong. A colorblind mother and non-colorblind father will give birth to all colorblind boys. All of their girls will be normal sighted, colorblind carriers. The 50% statistic in the article refers to a colorblind carrier mother, not a colorblind mother.

Call the faulty X chromosome Xc. So the mother has XcXc, and the father has XY. A child gets one chromosome from each parent. The four possible combinations are:
XXc
XXc
XcY
XcY
The first two are normal sighted girls who carry the colorblind gene. The second two are colorblind boys.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok let me get this straight, so I pass a faulty X chromosome to my daughter, she gets the other X from my husband. So therefore she is color blind as I am carrying the recessive gene. But how do you explain my son getting a normal X chromosome from me and a Y from my husband?? Does that make sense?? So how did Ash get the faulty one, and my son get a normal one?? Just trying to figure this out. Thanks everyone!!! It''s a confusing topic for sure.
2.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa, you have one good X and one faulty X (XXc). Your husband has one faulty X and one Y (XcY). Your son got your good X and the Y from your husband (XY). Your daughter got your faulty X and another faulty X from your husband (XcXc).

The four possible combinations from you and your husband are equally likely and listed below.
XXc (carrier girl)
XcXc (colorblind girl)
XY (normal boy)
XcY (colorblind boy)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 12:40:43 AM
Author: diamondfan
I think that is the only thing I would have been concerned about. Otherwise I hate to downplay something, but it seems minor in the scheme of things. I am sure she does great, and it is just in the back of her mind.
Yup, in the grand scheme of things it''s minor. She was just looking for some info.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 12:59:34 AM
Author: urseberry
Lisa, you have one good X and one faulty X (XXc). Your husband has one faulty X and one Y (XcY). Your son got your good X and the Y from your husband (XY). Your daughter got your faulty X and another faulty X from your husband (XcXc).

The four possible combinations from you and your husband are equally likely and listed below.
XXc (carrier girl)
XcXc (colorblind girl)
XY (normal boy)
XcY (colorblind boy)
Thank you!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this for me urseberry!!
35.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
You''re welcome! I''m so glad my explanation makes sense.
4.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Many years ago I worked in a lab doing medical research. One of my fellow researchers was a woman who was colorblind. Every time she needed to photograph her cells under the microscope with a particular green filter, she had to take me along to focus it for her. Apparently, the filter let though only that shade of green that she couldn''t see, and adding the filter after focusing changed the focus so that didn''t work for her. She said when she looked through the microscope with the green filter on all she saw was black. Her dad was also colorblind, and apparently her mother was a carrier.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, I think hubby also passed on his X which was deficient. She needs both to be deficient. I am not sure how genetics works, meaning, of your two, one which is fine and one which isn''t, why Ash got one that was deficient and your son did not. I am not sure when a child is conceived how it is determined which of your two X''s get put into the baby. For you son, he got hubby''s Y chromosome. And he got your X which was unaffected.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine who is red-green colourblind used to describe it by saying that when he looked at variegated plants, where we could see two colours, he only sees one colour. Where we see blotchy red-green plants, he sees solid coloured plants. Now he had no way of knowing if what he saw was ''red/purple'' or ''green'' but he chose to call it green anyways!

Kaleigh I just had to say your daughter sounds like she has such a great positive attitude!
36.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Colorblind is on the X, not the Y, which is why your son is fine.

My brother and my cousin are both colorblind. with my cousin, I knew something was up because we always colored together and he kept asking me to tell him which was the purple crayon. It really annoyed me as a kid until I said "see, it says on the side here "PURPLE". He couldn''t read yet though." I didn''t realize it was because he couldn''t see red so the purple looked blue.

My brother didn''t find out until middle school, and my mom was so upset that her baby boy "couldn''t see the beautiful grass and sky!" My brother sat her straight by saying "Mom, I don''t know the difference so I don''t know what I''m missing." That definitely helps put it in perspective. It''s not like he suddenly lost his colors, they were never there in the first place. Makes it a little easier. He''s done fine with driving because the stoplights have a pattern that he memorized. He did get pulled over once for running a red light and he truly didn''t know he had because the lights in that small town were backwards. He said it to the cop who looked up and said "yeah, you''re right". So he got out of it and stayed out of that town!

In the long run it isn''t a big deal, but it can take a bit of adjustment to get used to the idea, I''m sure. And yes, my brother wears a lot of blue. My cousin, who loved the Celtics as a kid, had a lot of green shirts... his mother always made a special effort to get the "right" green. It wasn''t until about a decade later that she realized he saw it all as gray anyway and it hadn''t mattered to him.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I work with a gentleman who can''t see color at all - only shades of gray. However, he can distinguish B&W television from Color TV - because there are more "shades" in color tv. It makes me laugh to think we are all "Pleasantville" to him.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
In simple terms:

The gene for colour blindness is only found on the X chromosone....

Red
indicates the colour blind gene

Women = XX she will be colour blind
Women = XX - she carries the colour blind gene but because she also carries the non colour blind gene, it "equals" it out and she won't be colour blind but she is a carrier.
Men = XY - not colour blind
Men = XY - he will be colour blind. Sure, he only has one colour blind gene but he does not have the 'normal' X gene to counteract it.

You are an XX (carrier but not colour blind) and your husband is an XY - There was a 50% chance of your daughter being colour blind.

Your daughter is an XX and no matter what, she will pass on an X to her son and because the other gene will be a Y, he will be colour blind. (XY)

I have a friend who wanted to be a commerial airline pilot but couldn't because of his colour blindness.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 4:22:17 PM
In simple terms:

The gene for colour blindness is only found on the X chromosone....

Red
indicates the colour blind gene

Women = XX she will be colour blind

Women = XX - she carries the colour blind gene but because she also carries the non colour blind gene, it ''equals'' it out and she won''t be colour blind but she is a carrier.

Men = XY - not colour blind

Men = XY - he will be colour blind. Sure, he only has one colour blind gene but he does not have the ''normal'' X gene to counteract it.

You are an XX (carrier but not colour blind) and your husband is an XY - There was a 50% chance of your daughter being colour blind.

Your daughter is an XX and no matter what, she will pass on an X to her son and because the other gene will be a Y, he will be colour blind. (XY)

I have a friend who wanted to be a commerial airline pilot but couldn''t because of his colour blindness.

If her husband had a deficient X as well and they have a daughter she would be color blind as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results