shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone a terror with their settings?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not talking terror in the usual sense.

I instructed a vendor on a ring and they made it waaaaaaaaay better than my crappy instructions which led me to ponder how dreadful and lazy I am with designs and rings in general. Haha I was wondering if anyone else is like this?

My motto is usually to buy a premade setting or to send a pic and ask them to make it look like the pic. I give no further details so end up with a variation usually but I've always been happy.

Haha in this latest case the ring had so much more detail than my basic instructions (I said Please halo and use small diamonds") and what they did was so suited to the ring but the dumb thing about me is I would never have thought of writing down at the details they actually did on their own accord.

If they'd done what I instructed it would have been nowhere near as pretty.

Anyone as bad as me?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s why designers have a job.
:bigsmile:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s why designers have a job.
:bigsmile:

I suppose if you're not fussy you'd just agree with whatever they drew up and give conditions like "no bezels"

I wonder if there is a designer at the Chinese factory or if the person making the ring just executes their vision.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meeee :wavey:

I so admire the custom designs I see here on PS and wish I had the ability/patience to execute the works of art I see here. But I can't read CADs as visual details escape me and I completely lack design/aesthetic/creative skills. For the most part, I set stones in the first setting I can find that I think suits the stone (often preloved). I do like playing with colored stone combinations but then turn it over to Yvonne Raley and team to work their magic.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m terrible when it comes to settings and have no design abilities at all. I prefer to go the easy route and pick stock settings made for my stone size. Having custom settings made is just too stressful for me. I had one ring custom made and it turned out very nice, but I only saw the wax first and didn’t quite understand what the end result would be and I would change a couple of things if I could have a do over. I have a couple of stones that I would love to have DK make custom settings for, but get overwhelmed trying to come up with inspiration pics and worry they won’t turn out as expected, so they sit unset.
I would definitely say that I am a terror with settings :lol:. Purchasing loose stones is much easier and more fun for me! I would love to see the beautiful new ring you had made!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not talking terror in the usual sense.

I instructed a vendor on a ring and they made it waaaaaaaaay better than my crappy instructions which led me to ponder how dreadful and lazy I am with designs and rings in general. Haha I was wondering if anyone else is like this?

My motto is usually to buy a premade setting or to send a pic and ask them to make it look like the pic. I give no further details so end up with a variation usually but I've always been happy.

Haha in this latest case the ring had so much more detail than my basic instructions (I said Please halo and use small diamonds") and what they did was so suited to the ring but the dumb thing about me is I would never have thought of writing down at the details they actually did on their own accord.

If they'd done what I instructed it would have been nowhere near as pretty.

Anyone as bad as me?
keep those guys on !

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m terrible when it comes to settings and have no design abilities at all. I prefer to go the easy route and pick stock settings made for my stone size. Having custom settings made is just too stressful for me. I had one ring custom made and it turned out very nice, but I only saw the wax first and didn’t quite understand what the end result would be and I would change a couple of things if I could have a do over. I have a couple of stones that I would love to have DK make custom settings for, but get overwhelmed trying to come up with inspiration pics and worry they won’t turn out as expected, so they sit unset.
I would definitely say that I am a terror with settings :lol:. Purchasing loose stones is much easier and more fun for me! I would love to see the beautiful new ring you had made!

Do you feel like because it was custom you expected more? Or did it not look like the wax?

My issue is I just don't notice things. So if you have A and B, B is better designed than A, I would not know to demand B instead of A. I might like B more if you showed me both at once but if you showed me A, I'd probably be fine with it (unless it's a bezel) and not think it needs all these tweaks to make it look like B.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you feel like because it was custom you expected more? Or did it not look like the wax?

My issue is I just don't notice things. So if you have A and B, B is better designed than A, I would not know to demand B instead of A. I might like B more if you showed me both at once but if you showed me A, I'd probably be fine with it (unless it's a bezel) and not think it needs all these tweaks to make it look like B.
I think I didn’t know how to read the wax, and was excited about setting the stone, so I didn’t look at the wax close enough or ask enough questions. Mainly I would have liked a thicker shank and for the accent diamonds to be a little bigger. I think I am just more comfortable understanding CADs because all of the measurements are detailed on the images. I haven’t seen enough wax models to understand what the piece will end up looking like in real life. They did a great job making the piece though and I think it does look just like the wax model.
I’m like you and don’t notice things either. I am fine with a simple halo with a plain basket for myself, but very much admire the more detailed custom pieces I see here. There are a lot of PSers that are amazing jewelry designers!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Design is not my forte (to put it politely). I have a learning disability that affects my spatial reasoning skills, so trying to design jewelry pieces beyond something very simple is just too frustrating for me. I'm good with colors, but beyond that, I'm very glad to rely on Yvonne and the team at CRD :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think I can design anything, so I don't have that problem of not describing things. Sometimes jewelers will tell me my ideas aren't feasible, DF tells me some of my designs are too grandiose for me to afford, and sometimes I change my mind so much I'm afraid to tell a jeweler anything until I'm 100% sure I'm not going to change my mind again.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the project in question. They went above and beyond.

Ring is so delicate with so much detail and yet they definately didn't scrimp on the gold.

The band is very robust. None of this was agreed on they just made it as is.

Honestly vendors from China get such an undeserved bad rap sometimes. There's some good eggs out there. I'm so so so thrilled with this ring.

20190702_152147.jpg

20190702_152157.jpg 20190702_152223.jpg 20190702_152302.jpg 20190702_140038.jpg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful :love:. I love how the halo flows and follows the outline of the center stone and the gallery perfectly compliments the stone. Which vendor did you use for the piece? They did a great job! :kiss2:

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
This was the project in question. They went above and beyond.

Ring is so delicate with so much detail and yet they definately didn't scrimp on the gold.

The band is very robust. None of this was agreed on they just made it as is.

Honestly vendors from China get such an undeserved bad rap sometimes. There's some good eggs out there. I'm so so so thrilled with this ring.

20190702_152147.jpg

20190702_152157.jpg 20190702_152223.jpg 20190702_152302.jpg 20190702_140038.jpg

WOW

Very nice ring. the jade is very beautiful. Which seller make this setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results