shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody watching "Planet Earth"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Man, THIS is what HD was made for! I''m loving the "mini-series" on the planet... it''s just so beautiful and so amazing! It''s on the Discovery channel, and if you haven''t seen it yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. It''s amazing that I don''t have to pay to see it! (well, more than cable anyway). There''s an episode on right now! And two more tonight!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I watched the first episode, and it''s absolutely amazing! It''s not on right now here, but those animals were so cool!

*M*

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is really well done. I love the filming!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
We were just watching the polar bear swim underwater and FI said "HOW did they get THAT shot?" That''s what so amazing... not only are you seeing something we don''t usually get to see, but it''s not really clear just how we''re getting to see it now, other than through, of course, massive budgets for filming.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
love it!!! DH and i have watched every sunday since it''s started. it''s absolutely stunning.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
My 12 year old looooooooves this show. We have to be careful when it is on because much of the show is inappropriate for my 4 year old. But, it is a great program.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I heard about it , but have yet to see it.When does it air? thanks

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
It''s on every Sunday at 8 pm eastern. Discoverychannel.com has all the stuff about it. I''m watching it right now, actually. It''s just amazing!

*M*

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks a lot...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 7:06:10 PM
Author: Miranda
My 12 year old looooooooves this show. We have to be careful when it is on because much of the show is inappropriate for my 4 year old. But, it is a great program.

Yeah, the words that came out of my mouth when I watched the great white catch the seal would also have been inappopriate for a 4 year old! Plus it would probably terrify a young child! Lots of death, but in a "circle of life" way.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 8:43:40 PM
Author: sumbride
Date: 4/8/2007 7:06:10 PM
Author: Miranda
My 12 year old looooooooves this show. We have to be careful when it is on because much of the show is inappropriate for my 4 year old. But, it is a great program.[/QUOTE

Yeah, the words that came out of my mouth when I watched the great white catch the seal would also have been inappopriate for a 4 year old! Plus it would probably terrify a young child! Lots of death, but in a 'circle of life' way.

yes. but i do think it's less gory and gross than lots of other animal circle of life shows out there.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's all just beautiful. I mean, yes, the white shark is going to eat the seal but it's all just spectacular. I think the work, and the agility, and the skill required just to eat is amazing. Like watching the dolphins learning to hydroplane to catch fish in the shallows! So cool. I'm really glad this show came out and it's not political, and not biased. It's just shows how awesome and gorgeous the world is.

ETA: But I definitely wouldn't let a four year old watch it either!

*M*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we watched some of it one night over at a friend''s house...pretty intriguing stuff though i am SOO not into the whole watching the lions eat the deer or whatever. one of the ones we watched was like the underwater sea one...pretty cool.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 8:48:07 PM
Author: jcrow

yes. but i do think it''s less gory and gross than lots of other animal circle of life shows out there.

true. I haven''t seen a lot of gore and blood yet. I was actually rooting for the polar bear to get one of the walrus cubs and FI was shocked at me, but I didn''t want the polar bear to die.
39.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''m so hooked I just pre-ordered the dvd set. It''s just $79.95 for the whole 11-episode set. It doesn''t ship until the end of April, but I figured it would be a good early-birthday present to myself (June).

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I didn''t know you could do that! Yup yup... will be ordering shortly!

*M*

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Discovery channel store online will hook you up, and if you have an American Airlines mileage account, go thru E-shopping to get 5 miles per dollar.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!!

*M*

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 8:52:50 PM

yes. but i do think it's less gory and gross than lots of other animal circle of life shows out there.

true. I haven't seen a lot of gore and blood yet. I was actually rooting for the polar bear to get one of the walrus cubs and FI was shocked at me, but I didn't want the polar bear to die.
39.gif
I haven't seen it yet, but my entire family is obsessed... my mom agreed that the coolest part is that it's so hard to decide which animals to root for... the whole "circle of life" thing is that well illustrated. My fiance is big on anything environmental, so he was anticipating this series for months... he actually made us drive home to my parents' house to watch the first episode on HD!!

And my little brother is a junior in college, living with a bunch of football and baseball players... he said every Sunday night, there are about 20 of these big tough guys crowded together on the couches in their living room staring at the TV in silent awe.... I guess some of their girl friends came walking in and cracked up laughing at the sight of them.
31.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it''s freakin'' amazing on HD. I imagine it''s beautiful on regular tv too, but the underwater scenes in HD? WOW. FI thought the sea snakes must have been super-imposed or something.... it was like you could touch them.

And the slack-jawed stillness of awe is here too. I bet it was pretty funny to see all those tough guys like that! FI got sucked in pretty quickly too. I''d set it to autotune yesterday and he watched it for about 20 minutes before he came to tell me it was on!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 9:17:29 PM
Author: ephemery1

yes. but i do think it''s less gory and gross than lots of other animal circle of life shows out there.

true. I haven''t seen a lot of gore and blood yet. I was actually rooting for the polar bear to get one of the walrus cubs and FI was shocked at me, but I didn''t want the polar bear to die.
39.gif

I haven''t seen it yet, but my entire family is obsessed... my mom agreed that the coolest part is that it''s so hard to decide which animals to root for... the whole ''circle of life'' thing is that well illustrated. My fiance is big on anything environmental, so he was anticipating this series for months... he actually made us drive home to my parents'' house to watch the first episode on HD!!

And my little brother is a junior in college, living with a bunch of football and baseball players... he said every Sunday night, there are about 20 of these big tough guys crowded together on the couches in their living room staring at the TV in silent awe.... I guess some of their girl friends came walking in and cracked up laughing at the sight of them.
31.gif
You should see it! It''s so cool! I wish I could watch it on HD! I also really like the music that they''ve paired with it, just as an odd side note, haha.

*M*

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I watched if every Sunday too! This series really brings home how amazing our planet is and how important it is to for all of us to be advocates of its survival.
I''m sure it has been in the press in the USA but here the UN report on climate change has been terrifying. To think that potentially in 50 years the Great Barrier Reef will have lost most of its coral as well AS the Himalayan and Alpine glaciers of Europe disappearing.
Of course the human cost will be enormous with dire predictions of drought in Africa and flooding in Asia and the AMericas.
Truely too terrible to think of but think of it we must and get proactive.
Getting off my soapbox now.

kaya

Rough_Rock
Yes I''m watching it and taping it on my computer. It has a lot of commercials though.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you , at present time its only Discovery in USA that is showing Planet Earth.Even the www of Discovery Chanel won''t let us look at this stuff as yet.Says " this section not available from your area"
Will have to wait to enjoy it..

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH just finished watching this tonight...wish I would have joined him after reading this thread just now! He has HD in the basement (aka the man cave), but my t.v. upstairs is just a flat screen with an hd box although my t.v. isn''t hd! Damn! I did watch Sopranos and Entourage with him tonight which were great, but I guess I missed out on PE and will definitely watch next week.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
FI and I love this mini-series. We saw it advertised at the movies a few months ago and had been looking forward to it ever since. Unfortunately our area doesn''t get the discovery channel in HD
8.gif
so I''m a bit disappointed.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2007 12:40:39 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Is this the one based on 1000 Places to see before you die?

If so, I LOVED IT..!!!!!!! Alaska was amazing.. I was surprised to see how simply incredible it all was and made me want to go there immediately. The couple took five months out of their lives to do this, all expenses paid.. they have quite a lot to tell their children and grandchildren someday.

No, it''s not that one. There are no people in it... just animals and the planet. It''s narrated by Sigourney Weaver and it shows nature and it''s most raw and intense, and beautiful! Each episode covers a different part of the world.... the ice worlds, the seas, the shallow seas, the grasslands, caves, etc.... it''s fascinating and so unique. The filming is just breathtaking.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it was on Sunday evening. Check your local listings because this past weekend they replayed several episodes in a row. It was on Discovery HD Theater, which is a specialized channel, but I imagine that they will replay it occasionally on regular Discovery channel as well. And there should be another episode on next Sunday. There are 11 episodes in all. I can''t wait to see the cave one! From what I''ve seen of the previews of that one it''s going to be a glipse into major "Earth Bling"!
9.gif
Lots of crystals and such!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock

39.gif
Yep, I sure do remember that part, he was jumping all over those walruses and I thought he was gonna be victorious and then the narrator (Sigourney Weaver! Who knew?) intoned: "the walruses'' skin is two inches thick, so even the teeth and claws of the bear are ineffectual" (or something like that).

And THEN he was all beat up and punctured and he just laid down...and died. It was rough. Couldn''t one stupid walrus just sacrifice itself for the polar bear? One? Teeny? Walrus? *SOB*

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2007 5:12:25 PM
Author: Julianna

39.gif
Yep, I sure do remember that part, he was jumping all over those walruses and I thought he was gonna be victorious and then the narrator (Sigourney Weaver! Who knew?) intoned: ''the walruses'' skin is two inches thick, so even the teeth and claws of the bear are ineffectual'' (or something like that).

And THEN he was all beat up and punctured and he just laid down...and died. It was rough. Couldn''t one stupid walrus just sacrifice itself for the polar bear? One? Teeny? Walrus? *SOB*
UGH... ok THIS is why I haven''t watched it yet. I''m pretty tough when it comes to people, but I can''t handle animals dying!!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results