shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody Have These Whiteflash Hoops?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of getting these Whiteflash huggies as I have some semi-precious detachable drops, but only a pair of plain, thin white gold hoops to put them on. I'm thinking small diamond hoops would give the drops some extra oomph.

Does anybody have these huggies from Whiteflash, please? What do you think of them?

Thanks! :wavey:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/huggable-diamond-earrings-430.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have them yet, but I have also been thinking about getting some huggies for drops and these look like the perfect size! Some that I was looking at were only around 12mm and I felt like that might be too close to my ear lobe. I hope someone will reply, but if not, let me know if you try them!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Diamondseeker, I'm trying to decide between these and the Kiki McDonough ones. I contacted KMD and the ctw of theirs is the same as the Whiteflash ones, 0.14.

I prefer the Kiki setting. Somehow there's much less metal between the diamonds. Do you see what I mean? The Whiteflash ones seem to be mainly metal and hardly any view of the diamond.

What do you think between these two? The Kiki ones are more expensive, but they do look more refined in the image. (The tax is 83 pounds which gets taken off the total price. Kiki hoops are therefore about $625.)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gvH01_e9utgJ:kiki.co.uk/index.php/collections/detachable-drops/kiki-classic-18ct-white-gold-and-diamond-hoops.html/+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Jambalaya,
I totally see what you are talking abt the ones from Kiki McD look like their is less metal and more sparley diamonds.

Hard to know -exactly- what you would be getting w/out a photograph. This is when shopping on line is hard. If you could just try it on you would know in an instant.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you compare enlarged photos of both versions in yellow gold you can see the difference. The WF hoops have larger bead/prongs but less metal along side the stones. Whereas the Kiki hoops have a thicker band on both sides of the stones. Either would be lovely but they are just slightly different styles.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen the Brian Gavin huggies? Shared prong so less metal showing. I have them and wear them almost every day. Also 0.24 ctw!

For some reason I can't post a link from my phone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't own hoops from Whiteflash or BGD but I just wanted to chime in about diamond hoop earrings in general. My diamond hoops are among my favorite earrings that I wear often. They are versatile and go with a lot of different moods and wardrobe choices if you kwim.

I agree for more diamonds less metal being a more attractive look and also depending on the size you want 12 mm will be close to your ears. If you want a larger hoop aim for nearer 25mm as that is the more traditional "hoop" look IMO. But you may want a smaller closer to ear (huggie look) appearance and then the 12 mm would work.

Gemzy

Rough_Rock
If you want to see the Kiki McDonohue hoops, the Duchess of Cambridge wears them alot and has drops of various gemstones- here are links to two blog sites dedicated to her clothes and jewels (browse through you will see they appear in many photos over the years). The hoops look lovely - I too have been comparing them with WF, and think I am going to go for the Kiki ones as soon as I can afford them.
Hope that's helpful

http://strictlykatemiddleton.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=kiki

http://hrhcatherineduchessofcambridge.blogspot.co.uk/

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the WF hoops and sent them back. They were child size, about the size of a dime.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh! Just typed out a long reply with individual replies to everyone and then lost it!

I'm grateful for the replies. Basically I want the earrings to look like the images Gemzy posted (thanks Gemzy!) of the Duchess of Cambridge, but I definitely don't want to pay 800 pounds for semi-precious stones, which I think is crazy. Through the royal style blogs, I found a company that does the exact same detachable drop that Kiki has, real semi-precious stones, set in sterling silver.

I bought the green amethyst drops, and they're amazing. But my plain white gold hoops are too large at 15mm. I'd like that look that Kate has where the hoop is small so the drop is close to the ear, and the look is very compact and neat.

Here are my drops: http://www.heavenlynecklaces.com/p/8886978/now-also-in-amethyst-the-diamond-huggy-with-gem.html

And here are the Kiki prices: http://kiki.co.uk/index.php/collections/detachable-drops.html/

My green amethyst drops are a lovely sparkly cushion-cut, and they're also 1mm larger than the Kiki ones, I think. I like the Kiki ones, but $2100 equivalent for hoops with 0.14 ctw and only semi-precious stones is too expensive for me.

Swingirl, yes I saw the Brian Gavin drops, but I don't think they will give the look that I'm after. The hoops are elongated and they have a thick-ish hinge on the bottom. Thanks, though.

Missy and Aprilbaby, I want the hoops to be small so that the drops will hang from clsoe to my earlobe. I'm not planning to wear the hoops alone, because if I can get some suitable hoops, I'm going to buy the blue topaz and amethyst drops as well (the non-Kiki ones). The WF hoops are so much cheaper than the Kiki ones, but they are 2mm bigger, and I like the close look of the Kiki ones. Before I make a decision, I'm going to look at my local jeweler. Aprilbaby, I have a question: I know the WF hoops are small, but did they sparkle? Could you see the diamonds? They are supposed to be ACA diamonds, although I have no idea how you can cut diamonds to tiny to ACA standards. Also, could you see mostly metal instead of diamond like in the photo?

Thanks everyone!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only ones I looked at were the ones worn by the Duchess of Cambridge, but I didn't like those very much at all. They didn't look like diamonds to me. Certainly not diamonds fit for a Royal Duchess! The stones were far too small. Why put a drop on a huggie at all unless the huggie is going to add to the total "bling" by bringing large, glittering diamonds to the piece? I think if I were to design a huggie, I'd design one with 25 point stones. If that size was too big for a huggie, it would be too small for my purpose: setting off a drop in the manner I would like.

Big is Good.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, if the diamonds or hoops are too thick, the drops won't fit on them. I also like the small, compact look for these drops because the drops are quite large - big pillowy cushion cuts - and I like them to shine. The Duchess wears these earrings for daytime. But don't worry, she's been seen in some major evening bling! Check out her long emerald, diamond and yellow diamond earrings. And last week she was wearing some huge heart-shaped tanzanite earrings surrounded by diamonds and a matching pendant. They were just beautiful jewels. Looking at the royal style blogs, I estimate the jewelry that's been given to her new since her wedding is worth about a million pounds, and that's only what we see.

Anyway, I solved my prob. I went downtown and found the perfect little huggie, 0.12 ctw, 18ct white gold, by A.Link, nice and sparkly, for $170 including tax. It isn't all huge and blingy but it's the look I wanted for these particular drops. Very wallet-friendly too, so I'm happy!

But next time I will Buy Something Huge! ;-)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1427414657|3852970 said:

Excellent. And being happy with what you purchased is nothing to sniff at. ;))

Deb
:saint:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1427414657|3852970 said:
The thing is, if the diamonds or hoops are too thick, the drops won't fit on them. I also like the small, compact look for these drops because the drops are quite large - big pillowy cushion cuts - and I like them to shine. The Duchess wears these earrings for daytime. But don't worry, she's been seen in some major evening bling! Check out her long emerald, diamond and yellow diamond earrings. And last week she was wearing some huge heart-shaped tanzanite earrings surrounded by diamonds and a matching pendant. They were just beautiful jewels. Looking at the royal style blogs, I estimate the jewelry that's been given to her new since her wedding is worth about a million pounds, and that's only what we see.

Anyway, I solved my prob. I went downtown and found the perfect little huggie, 0.12 ctw, 18ct white gold, by A.Link, nice and sparkly, for $170 including tax. It isn't all huge and blingy but it's the look I wanted for these particular drops. Very wallet-friendly too, so I'm happy!

Pictures please :dance: :dance:

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I second the pictures please!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, $170 for 18k? That is quite amazing! Kate's piercings are close to the bottom of her lobes, so she can wear the 12mm huggies. That is the main reason I was afraid to try the KMcD ones. There is actually an ear shot of the WF ones which are 13.8mm, and that shows me that even though my piercings are higher, that size would be better for my ears. This is a size for wearing drops and not diamond hoops alone, for my purposes anyway.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS - yes, it was a great price! They are really small, though, so maybe that's why. Very thin as well as small in diameter.

I will definitely do pics! The hoops are very small but they look perfect with the drops. They're about the same size as the Kiki ones and I have large earlobes with the piercings in the center, but the hoop size is fine. It clears my lobe with room, but is still hugging. I like it to hug when wearing drops because I think if the hoop isn't hugging the lobe, you have that hoop and then the loop on the top of the drop, and so from the front you've got four circles going on. My drops also have a delicate loop at the top, whereas the Kiki loop on the top of Kate's drops looks quite thick and obvious - you can see it clearly in all the photos of Kate from a distance, and I think it takes away from the earring style.

Now I've got another first-world problem! I love my green-amethyst drops and want to buy either one or two more pairs in the other colors, to get the most use out of my new hoops - plus I'm really loving this earring style - but there are three more colors and I don't know which one or two to choose. I don't want to buy all three colors as then I'd have the same drops in four colors, and for me that's a waste of money as I don't think I'd wear the earrings as much as all that, although often. Plus the company have brought out some pearl drops which I'm also going to get.

So, I have blah light brown hair and blah blue/gray eyes. Pale and uninteresting. That's why the green amethyst suits me, I think. But do I get the citrine, the blue topaz, or the purple amethyst drops? I only want two pairs, remember. Advice?

I wonder about the blue topaz but with the bright blue I wonder if they'd look a bit costumey, even though they're real topaz. I'm a little older and would like to look tasteful. I think the green amethyst is tasteful, and I love it. Anyway, I can't seem to decide. Possibly the blue topaz would be pale and lovely. I love purple amethyst but not sure if it would show up against my medium hair. I'm intrigued by the gold of the citrine but not sure if it's too warm for my coloring.

Thanks for any input! :wavey:

http://www.heavenlynecklaces.com/p/8886978/now-also-in-amethyst-the-diamond-huggy-with-gem.html

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought the Whitefish huggies and sent them back because they sparkled in the box, but not on my ears. Part of the problem was that I couldn't get them on without putting my finger right on the stones, but it was also just the angle or something. They mostly just looked like dull metal when on my ears. If you're interested in lots of sparkle, you might want to look at different earrings.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rainwood. I bought some hoops at my local jeweler for $170, so thanks for letting me know that the WF ones weren't so great. Makes me confident about my purchase. My new ones are small but they do sparkle.

:wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your choices Jambalaya, those are the colors I would have chosen too. I love interchangeable earrings, it's fun to be able to match your outfit lol - looking forward to seeing pics!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Promise photos soon - I just have so much to do at the moment! Been battling admin matters all morning, with companies trying to scam me and me not letting them! It's amazing how much you have to hold companies accountable, otherwise they'll just add a frothy cream of money on top of what they should be charging you! Add to that, I had some fraud on my bank account which I just noticed, so now that's frozen. What a morning! Got hardly anything done that I was supposed to when I woke up!

Glad you approve of my color choices, Junebug! I like purple but I thought they might look a bit dark. It'll be interesting to see if the blue topaz looks delicate and beautiful, or too bright and therefore costumey. We'll see.

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results