shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody have front load W&D like the Duet from WhirlPool?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2007 12:59:27 PM
Author: Eva17
Update

I have purchased Tide HE powder soap, and my towels smell 'FRESH' again!!!!!!

'Hallelujah'

I am so happy about this.

I was throwing out and buying new bath towels almost every other week.....

I just can't beleive it worked. After having the problem with a front loader and now the new top loader, I was afraid I was doomed to keep my dirty little laundy secret forever. I hope it continues to work. DF if you purchase the odor tablets, let me know what you think of them.

Thanks.
That is GREAT news!!! I am off to get some of this. I'm not doing even one more load with that other detergent. Have looked ALL OVER for the tablet things BTW and can't find them anywhere so I just tried to order a package on-line.

ETA: Had to edit my post above because I *though* I ordered a package but when I went back to the site there was an error message and it says the item I've attempted to order is no longer available and has been removed from my cart.
33.gif
I called the customer service number on the site and the lady was very nice but ultimately useless. She has no idea why it won't let me order because it lets HER order (and no, she can't order FOR me--I did ask). She said they have it at Home Depot so I'll try there. How irritating...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh crackers...we have a ...(I know I know TMI)....a septic tank (sorry). Can't use powder. They (the hockey people) say you shouldn't used powder laundry or dish detergent.

I am so happy for you EVA!!! The powder use for you looks as if it passes the smell test!! Horray!! Take a few extra deep whiffs for me...I'm still all moldy smelling.
15.gif

DKS

to answer someone's earlier question...I use Tide HE. and tons of fabric softener in wash and in dryer.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
We have half a cup (well, I''ve never measured, but quite a bit) of water in the little tray too. I just dump it out each time I''m not running another load right away and I leave it open to air out. I also leave the door to the washer open because I read that mold can develop in there. One time we were giving an OCD houseguest a tour of our house, and he closed them for me while I was standing there. (Um, thanks, I left them like that on purpose.)

I use a little laundry basket to transfer the clothes. Our doors on the wrong side from each other so it would be a hassle otherwise.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep an old washcloth in the laundry room (enclosed back porch) specifically for mopping up extra water left in the baffles. When it's done its job, it gets hung on the clothes line or tossed in with the next load. I also keep the door open long enough to let things dry out. Of course I don't always remember to do this. Things did get smelly recently, but a load of whites with extra bleach took care of it. I haven't bought HE detergent since I discovered that I could safely use regular liquid detergent as long as I use a lot less than I used to with my old top-loader. I use about 1/4 the recommended amount of regular detergent, and I just love how long a bottle of detergent lasts these days!

But... I did have the water-in-dispenser tray problem. Thanks everyone, for inspiring me to figure out how to remove it so I can dump out the water!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Sears sell an HE powder; I''ve used it for nearly 18 months now with great success. It''s a 31-lb. tub for about $25 or so, and it lasts FOREVER. I use a scoop of this and a scoop of Oxy-clean powder per load.

I think Tide makes a powder HE version, too.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you ladies heard anything about the drain pumps going on these? Our washer has suddenly stopped draining. We''ve checked the drain and hoses and we can''t figure out what''s wrong with it. FI did someone online research and apparently the failure of these pumps are a common problem. Bummer, guess we have to get the Sears man out to the house again. Good thing we''re under warranty.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I love my FI with all of my heart, but he jumps to conclusions. He''s about to throw the stupid machine out the door after reading a few posts about problems. With a little more indepth research by yours truly, I found a solution to the problem. It''s not the pump, it''s the pump drain! Please read below. I''ve also read that this issue can be the cause of musty odors in the H2s (think moldy lint balls).

When my F21 showed up, the washer would not do anything. It would turn on, two relays clicked, it would then HUM. I am guessing that this washer is SMART. It will test if the washer water exit pump will indeed pump. The machine figures, if it can''t pump water out, there is no use in filling and starting up in the first place, so it plays DEAD and flashes the F21 code. If it will not pump, then it will not spin or do anything. If the pump will not spin, then the machine will NOT start the cycle and allow water to come on or spin. It will just HUM and finally, it will flash the F21 and the machine will just sit there. Unplugging it and plugging it back in will not help. Why does the pump not spin? As others have noted, it is probably impacted with debris. Ours had a huge hairball in it from washing a piece of carpet MONTHS ago.

Objective: Clear pump of debris. Tilt machine. Take off front panel. Unscrew large white drain plug. Remove debris.

First, unplug the machine and turn off the water supplies on the hot and cold.

Here is how I pulled out the hairball. The machine is full of water. The objective is to not mess with the water. So, pull the whole machine forward about 3 to 4 feet. Then, tilt the machine back, so that the top of the machine is hitting the wall and the machine is now at a 45 degree angle. This raises the front bottom of the machine where you can get to it. Have an assistant hold the machine there, even though it will balance perfectly, it can fall on you. You are leaning it back to gain access to (3) quarter inch screws holding on the front cover at the very bottom of the front cover and you avoid taking the machine out of the plastic pan.

Once the machine is tilted back, take out the 3 metal pan head self taping screws with a 1/4 inch socket. The front bottom panel will come right down. On the right is a large knob on one side of the pump about 1.5 to 2" in diameter. Turn this Counter clock wise slowly as you are moving an O ring which seals it. About three or four turns and it comes out. Remove all the junk in there - pennies, hair, wool.
Now, put the cover back on. Note - it is keyed. Match the ridge on the plug with the slot on the receiver. Now, push it in gently while turning clockwise. Be careful to push it in firmly but not harshly as there is an "O" ring sealing it against leaks and you don''t want to nick the O ring. Put the front cover back on by first putting the top of the cover into the slots with the pins protruding from the front cover on the the receiving holes on the machine below the round door and then securing the bottom of the front access door with the three self taping screws with the 1/4 inch socket. No not over tighten. Just make them snug.

Let the machine down gently, realize it can slam down on your foot.

Push it back to where it was, use the dryer as an example.
Plug the machine back in. Turn on the water supplies for hot and cold.

Now, put the machine back onto the wash cycle. Press power and start. It will first drain out the old water. Now, add the HE detergent and your load will finish as normal.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I have the LG Steam Washer and it''s amazing. I think it helps to have the pedestals. Unless I''m in a big hurry, I slide a laundry basket against the washer and dump everything in it. Then transfer everything over to the dryer. Right now, I do laundry two times a week, but I''m thinking it''s gonna be much more when the twins come in April.

I haven''t had any problems so far, but I think a lot of that is attributed to both of us having professional jobs and having our clothes sent out to the cleaners.

Out of curiosity, what detergent does everyone use? I used the Gain HE, Liquid Gel Clorox, and Downy Simple Pleasures Fabric Softener.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I recently started using powder tide HE. and it is working to keep the odor away. liquid gain HE is what i used in it from day one, and the oder on towels was SO bad. maybe you should switch to powder now, so that when the babies arrive, you machine won''t have the odor problem.

Dee Jay, any luck with the powder? Did you try it yet?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re having odor problems, check the pump drain (see above) when it gets clogged mold and mildew will grow and then when/if water backs up into your washer it''ll make your clothes stinky.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been using the Tide HE powder for several loads now and it makes a TON of difference! I still want to track down that Affresh stuff, but as of right now at least my laundry smells clean again.

Hudson, that''s interesting about the pump drain. I''ll have to see if I can get the HH to do this.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thank you thank you thank you!
i just bought the tide he powder and LOVE it. clothes smell SO FRESH!!! mummmm.
thanks for the recommendation!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Duet set and just love them to death. For droppage, well, I sit like an old laundry-woman on a small stool while I transfer stuff to the dryer. I didn''t want the pedestals because I put a countertop on top of the units for folding. The stool works fine for me. I also haven''t had any problem with smelly anything. I do get a minimum of water collection in the tray. I only use Tide HE liquid. I was prepared for the smell problem, as I''d read about it, but it never happened. Maybe it''s the way our drain is set up or something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results