shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody from the DC Area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
WHFS 99.1 has been taken off the air after 36 years!
face8.gif
They were a leader in alternative music! Infinity Broadcast took them off without any notice and replaced them with a Spanish station. I can''t believe it!
face14.gif
Now the Washington DC Area only has DC 101 as a rock stations. I''m sick to death! Why! Why! Why!
emunlove.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m from the DC area! Yeah, that''s all the news today.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
LOL. I''m from the DC area, and my husband was ranting about that yesterday as well. He listened to WHFS during his commute to/from work daily switching back and forth with DC101. In the end, it''s all about sponsors and money. Hard to believe the demongraphics of DC have changed so much that a station would completely change format -- not just adjust it slightly.
33.gif

DiamondLil

njc

Brilliant_Rock
DC area here too... I thought i had accidently reset my station pre-sets somehow yesterday on my way home when i heard all the spanish! I have to admit though, i was never a fan of the Junkies, but they did play a good mix of music.
39.gif
I hope the DJs and other personnel were given some kind of notice so they could find new jobs!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
They said that the Sports Junkies may move to WJFK maybe after Howard Stern. This really sucks! I listen all types of music and now I will have to listen to DC 101 which doesn''t give me the alternative music that WHFS gave. I hate this!
face8.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 9:44
6.gif
3 AM
Author: njc
DC area here too... I thought i had accidently reset my station pre-sets somehow yesterday on my way home when i heard all the spanish! I have to admit though, i was never a fan of the Junkies, but they didnt play a good mix of music.
39.gif
I hope the DJs and other personnel were given some kind of notice so they could find new jobs!
If the DJs did know in advance, it does not sound like they let their listeners in on it in the days preceding the changeover.
20.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I listened to the morning show yesterday on the way to work and absolutely nothing was said! I think that Infinity Broadcast keep this under wraps so not to deal with the uproar. For anybody that is not from the area HFS is a HUGE station!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Opps... i just realised on my post earlier that i said HFS didnt play a good mix of music... i meant to say they DO (or well, did) play a good mix, i enjoyed them very much.
7.gif
And i guess that also means no more big HFS concerts in the summer!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
OMG- I was listening with my daughter last night and they were playing Marc Anthony.
My daughter said "why is HFS playing Marc Anthony?"

WOW that sucks- I''ve listed to 99.1 for years. Such a shame.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I can''t believe this either. It just seems crazy to me. When I was in DC (93 - 2003) It was practically all I listened to. And now its a Spanish Language Channel?

I nearly fell over when I read that online in the Post this morning. Anyway, there is no level of presto chango and keep up those ratings that Infinity WON"T stoop too, so, I guess someone must have seen the writing on the wall.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I heard about this yesterday, and today, the story makes the Washington Post''s front page, top left.

Ok, so I''ll consider having a new name on this board...just for you insiders.

Call me.....Regular Guy, aka Middle Age Man.

Me, I do talk radio, thanks very much.

Now, here''s my question.

Where can I find:

Gabe Merkin
Dr. Toni Grant

Best wishes,

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
emotion-40.gif
What radio show do you do? What''s the radio dail numbers? Who are those people that you listed?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''m a regular for Chris Coor, 6 - 9 pm on WMAL, 630 AM. And, on 630 frequently otherwise.
In a pinch, WTOP 1500 for basic news repeated over & over
And, when I come to my senses (or when Rush is on), NPR on 88.5

Now...

Gabe Merkin got hurt by fen/fen, probably, but he was a Dr. who kept current on all kinds of research, and was pretty cool.

Toni Grant...it''s been years since I heard her. A very good radio Psychologist...broadcasting from southern CA, as I recall. Sensitive....think Carl Jung, not Dr. Schlessinger (though I''m a relative radio talk show junkie when driving, and would listen to her, too).

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I listen to Cris Coor''s show, but sometimes it''s hard to stomach the some of the callers!
I also listen to the WAMU ever morning from 10 am-3 pm. I try not to listen to Rush unless I looking for a good laugh! I''l listen out for you
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Huh? When I travel up there I listened to that station. I would think that we are a strong demographic for an advertising audiance. What is the reason they are giving about the switch? Very Strange. Is it etched in stone? Or, if enough people complain?

Any of you talk radio people listen to Michael Grahm - he''s on 630 I believe at 10
6.gif
0. He was at a radio station here. While I didn''t agree with all of his politics, he was a hoot. And, one of the most commen sense people on radio. I can remember when Isabel hit this area rather hard. He was the only one warning people & remained at the station during the night & the next morning. We gave up to date road closings, etc. I was sad to see him go. I wonder what kind of stich he does up there?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, he''s here. I think he does conservative talk, right, that''s not too harsh. I usually spin off pretty quickly, but have attended. Good intelligence, but in your face a bit, right?

Sounds like that''s one of the more difficult jobs...with the liklihood of turnover at any time pretty high.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 5:12:25 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Yes, he''s here. I think he does conservative talk, right, that''s not too harsh. I usually spin off pretty quickly, but have attended. Good intelligence, but in your face a bit, right?

Sounds like that''s one of the more difficult jobs...with the liklihood of turnover at any time pretty high.
Yeah, that sounds like him. He was here for a very long time for that kind of job. Here, he had to be in your face. Our local government council meetings is considered "entertainment" to watch. The kind where you grab a beer & watch the train wreck.
6.gif
He really delivered the much needed criticism. He is missed.

He is considered conservative talk. Even if I don''t agree with him, I do think he possess''s common sense. Doesn''t seem to have as much of an "agenda".

I don''t know what is going on in regular radio. The stations here change daily. And, it''s mostly the "rock" type stations that keep changing formats. I listen to the pop station & the classic rock. Funny about classic rock, what was contempory for me is now "classic rock". I dunno - Pink Floyd is classic rock. The Bangles, 10,000 maniacs - classic rock?
6.gif

I wonder if all this Ipod & downloading of music makes the rock stations not the place to be anymore.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
My wife and I are perhaps out of it. We joke about I-pods, saying...all that work...creating your own hit lists. You could as easily turn on the transistor radio...let those DJs do the work!

I do get that they''re all the rage, though. Also, a very cool commercial. Now only use PCs, but my first full size PC was a Mac, I still have my 512 with it''s case, used for ancient docs, and I''m glad to see Apple succeed.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I love Michael Grahm. I was upset when he left, but now he''s Back!!
emthup.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I can''t stand Michael Graham!
emotion-39.gif

The race, religious, and political baiting that he does is sickening!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 8:36:45 PM
Author: sevens one
I love Michael Grahm. I was upset when he left, but now he''s Back!!
emthup.gif
Yeah, he grew on me. You have to listen to him on a regular basis to understand where he is coming from. He is an equal opportunity offender. He''s a nice guy.

Why was he gone? Was his show canceled for a while? I can''t stand the guy that replaced him in our local market.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 9:46:57 AM
Author: lmurden
I can''t stand Michael Graham!
emotion-39.gif

The race, religious, and political baiting that he does is sickening!
I don''t know what is program is about up there. Here, he tackled & took on a very racially charged governing issues on a non politically correct platform. Turns out, he was right on so many things. The people he targeted are now in jail. Our mayor is now elected. People were so sick of the current city council that the incumbent was ousted by a 70% margin. That mayor subsequently is cleaning house at the applause of his constituents & isn''t doing it in a polically correct way.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Michael Graham does not bait, he just asks tough questions. When a liberal does it, it''s called honest, fair, etc. When a moderate to conservative does, it''s race baiting. As far as WHFS goes, the owners made a decision. They think they see a market they need to compete in. This is why a lot of people have gone with satellite radio, so they can find what they''re looking for in another market.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock

Michael Graham does race bait! I have heard him with my own two ears impersonate old Black ladies voters in an Aunt Jemima voice! He also constantly talks about that he moved to Virginia and not Maryland because it is a "God Fearing State". What is he trying to say? That people from the state of Maryland don''t believe in God? Whatever!

Anyway, I will probably end up getting satellite in the future.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Having grown up and lived in MD most of my life, he means that it''s a very, very liberal state. Aunt Jemima? Is that your wording? I dont think he used it except for when he was referring to other liberals and blacks calling Condi Rice an Aunt Jemima right after she was nominated for Secretary of State. Racism works both ways.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock

Momoftwo,

No he wasn''t talking about Condi. Rice! He was about the talking the 2000 voting mess in Florida. Also just because Maryland is liberal state doesn''t mean that Maryland liberal don''t believe in God?

Anyway, WHFS is back!!! 105.7 fm. I''m really happy! I don''t get great reception in house but in my car it''s fine!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That''s where Stern is in the morning. So he''s now on WHFS? Cool

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know the complete line up yet, but I''m sure they will have a website up soon! I just went to the website they are actually sharing the station. I hope this works out!
emotion-40.gif

http://www.live1057.com/

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
This made national news & a blurb in our local paper. Basically, young kids are turning away from traditional radio w/ the ipods, etc. Also, satilite radio. With the two, rock stations are being the hardest hit. It''s really sad to see. Rock radio was a staple in my life growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results