shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody ever go to Sesame Place in Pennsylvania?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
We are thinking of taking my two year old son there for a couple of days. Anybody been there? If so, any recommendations on parking, getting lockers, things you recommend to bring with you, how many days we should go there for? Thanks!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lizzy, I live in Southeast PA and have gone to Sesame a few times. You can definitely do everything in a day trip - depending how long your kid can hang before pooping out. I don't know where to stay because we live close enough that we didn't need a hotel.

One of the big deals there is the parade. Each day, at a set time, the characters march in a parade and are available for pictures. Bring your own camera because they charge an arm and a leg for their pics but will allow you to take your own for free.

I would also recommend packing a lunch. They're food is high in price and low in taste! I'm not familiar with the lockers etc.

Are you traveling a long distance to get here?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Puppmom, thanks for responding!

I live in Western Massachusetts so I would guess about 3 -3 1/2 hour drive. My DH has a ton of points with Hyatt, so our hotel will be free. On Sesame's website, one of the recommended hotels is the Hyatt in Princeton, NJ which is about 16 miles from Sesame Place. Here is a listing of the Hatt's in Pennsylvania. http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/features/hotel-search-results.jsp?Ntt=Pennsylvania, USA&_requestid=190125 I need to look to see if any of the ones in Pennsylvania will be closer than that. However, Princeton wouldn't be so bad if that is where we end up staying.

Right now Sesame Place is running a special - buy a one day pass and get the next day free. So either way the next day will be free, but I wasn't sure if we really needed to go the second day or not? So you think we could get away with just one full day at the park? I'm thinking we stay two overnights then instead of three.

I'm glad you told me that we can bring our own lunch, I had a hard time telling from their website whether we could bring our own lunch or not. It says you can bring your own cooler for baby food and medicine so I wasn't sure if it was frowned upon to bring your own drinks or food. They also say you can rent a stroller so I wasn't sure if it was worth it to rent theirs or not. They look like they have a ton of storage in them!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
LizzyAnn,

I also live in the area and Sesame Place is great for kids your DS' age (my DD is just a little younger than your DS). I agree with Puppmom, one day there is plenty. Also, can I make a suggestion? Rather than stay in Princeton, which is a nice town but not really a vacation destination, I'd recommend that you come into Philly and stay here. There is a beautiful Hyatt right on the water at Penn's Landing. If you wanted to stay for a couple of days and were looking for activities, the Philadelphia Zoo is a great zoo and even has a large children's zoo where kids can get up close to bunnies, cows, goats, sheep, etc. I would also recommend visiting the Please Touch Museum while you are here, it is amazing and so much fun for the little ones. Of course, Philadelphia also has a great art museum and the LIberty Bell, etc, but those aren't really great for little kids. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Princeton is lovely but, well...boring. Come stay in the city! I haven't been there recently but I've heard the Please Touch Museum got a makeover and is great fun for small children. The Phila Zoo is great too but if DS prefers slower paced things, the Elmwood Park Zoo in Norristown is plenty good for an afternoon. It's pretty well shaded there too which is nice. Another slower paced afternoon could be spent at a place like Peddler's Village. They have a cute little place they call Giggleberry Fair with a carousel and some other kid's activities inside. There are also some cute shops.

Sorry...I'm planning your trip. You just asked about Sesame!

re: lunch - I don't know the rules per se but my sister was just in from out of town and she and my mom took my niece and they packed lunch.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Gotta stick up for Princeton a little bit - we have family in the area and I got married at the campus "chapel" ;-).

It comes down to what you are looking for in this vacation - personally I look to escape crowds and hot cities since I work in the City. Sesame Street Place (although I've never been) will be good fun for your son, but you'll be ready to retreat once the day's over! I would agree that one day there is plenty.

Princeton is a quaint town, but I wouldn't say boring at all, it is always buzzing. Lots of shops (from JCrew to novelty shops), ice cream parlours, lots of restaurants. The campus has beautiful grounds to stroll and some historical elements if you are into that. The extended area offers alot from colonial history to farms (with interactive things to do, animals forthe kids) to museums. If you stay right in town, everything is walking distance (what I would recommend). There are the bigger chain hotels outside of the town center which might be more commercial, but more off the highway rather than in a quaint walking town. An hour to an hour and a half outside of Princeton area is (IMO) the best part of the Jersey Shore (Spring Lake, Bayhead beaches) if you wanted to add on some beach time to your trip.

Let us know how SS goes, I'm curious myself!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get me wrong - I would love to live in Princeton but that's way out of our price range! By boring, I just meant - not really hopping especially for kids. Then again, I guess Peddler's is no party either!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I live 20 minutes from Sesame Place. There is a Sheraton Hotel (I believe it is Oxford Valley Rd)?) across the street from Sesame Place. There is also a Red Roof Inn nearby. These are both right off Rte 1. Sesame Place is right in the heart of Oxford Valley/Langhorne right at the Oxford Valley Mall. There is parking right there at Sesame Place - just across the street. It gets Extremely Busy and Packed so plan to arrive early for parking space. If you stay at the Sheraton you could walk across the street. Many merchants will have your car towed if you park in their lots, though many park at the mall and walk over.

There are many restaurants on the perimeter of the mall and a Chick Fillet nearby, plus a few other fast food places. Pizzeria Uno is right on the corner.

There is also a Hampton Inn right off the 95 Exit in Newtown/Yardley and it is about a 15 minute of less drive to Sesame Place from there. Across form the Hampton is Shady Brook Farms which has many festivals on the weekend.

If there are other things you want to do, you could go to the Philly Zoo, Camden Aquarium (don't know if this is what it is still called) or you could even drive down to the Jersey shore (about an hour from here) . Ditto Peddler's Village and Piccadilly's (but I think it is more for older kids). But if you are in the area and have the time go to New Hope, PA (also within 20 minutes from Sesame Place) which is right next to Lambertville, Nj. They have fireworks over the Delaware there every Friday night (9pm I believe) weather permitting. Many shops, galleries, museums, ice cream shops. Lovely to walk or bike near the Canal. You can even go to Washington's Crossing Park (see where Washington crossed the Delaware) down the road, I think they have an animal preserve there (haven't been there is ages) with trails and picnic areas, oh and my favorite Bowman's Tower. You could probably google all of these for info and I think all are free or they may be a very small entry fee.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Should have read your second post. If you are staying at the Hyatt, Princeton is your best best. Taking 95S is better than taking Rte 1 (lots of traffic, stops, lights, and a toll in Morrisville). If you mapquest it, see if 95South to PA exit 49 (Newtown) is faster. After exiting at the light make a left onto Stony Hill Road (Shady Brook Farm on the right) to Oxford Valley Road, to Bucks Town Dr to Sesame Rd (if I remember correctly) - I go that way often to the shopping centers near Sesame Place.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! Thank you for all of the feedback!!!

Soocool, yes we are going to stick with Hyatt's since my DH is a platinum member and he has a TON of points to use. We are leaning towards staying in Princeton. My DH is not a big fan of Philly for whatever reason. He literally has only been there once for work, but he had a bad experience so he's not willing to give on that one. Plus, we also used to live in Plainsboro, NJ about 10 years ago when I used to work in NYC, so it will be nice to see that area again! I will tell my hubby definitely stick with 95S. I too remember how bad route 1 can be!

Janine, I agree that Princeton will be a nice retreat after a crazy day at Sesame. It has been so long since we lived in that area, but I think it will be nice to stay there and reminisce a little. We are planning on going from Wed-Friday. Wednesday, we would just drive there and hang out in the Princeton area, go to dinner, relax. Then spend the day at Sesame on Thursday. Then head home on Friday and maybe hit the Please Touch museum. I'm sure there are more things that we could do if we spent more time there or tried to squeeze something in on Wednesday, but I think it will be a nice little getaway for the family. I'd like to do a little shopping in Princeton. I remember their being some good stores along route 1. Any suggestions?

puppmom, I tried to get my DH to stay in Philly, but he had one bad experience there and he won't go back. The Please Touch museum seems like a lot of fun though, so I am going to see if maybe we can go there on our way home on Friday. Is the Museum literally in the city? Or is parking easy for it?

November, I totally tried to get DH to stay in Philly, but like I said he won't budge. I am going to try to get to the Touch museum though. I'm hoping it is easy to get to and park though! Any restaurant recommendations for out that way!

I'm hoping this will be a nice little getaway that will combine fun time at Sesame and a little adult time while in Princeton. I'm thinking shopping and dinners out. My DS is pretty good in restaurants so it shouldn't be too bad. Anyone have any restaurant recommendations near Princeton for a family? One fun place that we might hit for lunch is Joe's Crab Shack! We haven't been to one of those in forever!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please Touch is in the city but parking isn't terrible since there's a parking garage next door.

Have fun!

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
I'm from Princeton! Lived there for 22 yrs and went to college there as well. There are a lot of new stores and restaurants in town. Blue Point Grill, Ferry House are both nicer. Mediterra - outdoor dining that would be appropriate for a family. Olives is a great place to pick up food and eat it in the square outside of the new public library. Hoagie Haven for cheap, delicious hoagies. Next door is Old World Pizza which has great brick oven pizzas. Thomas Sweets, Halo Pub and Bent Spoon for ice cream. Small World Coffee is fantastic. You can also check chowhound...I think there's info on Princeton restaurants. Triumph Brewery is a fun place for tasty beer and they have live music on the weekend.

Lots of new boutique stores for clothes and jewelry.

You can go to Carnegie Lake, the Battlefield and Marquand Park. University campus is beautiful of course.

Have fun! It's a great little town.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Puppmom, thank you! I think we are going to try to stop there!

Soocool, that restaurant looks awesome! Totally a place myself and the DH would love! Is it casual enough to be kid friendly?

Gongjoo, thanks so much for all of the info! I haven't lived there for 10 years so I'm sure things have changed quite a bit! I appreciate all of your recommendations!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
You got some great suggestions - when do you go?

Bluepoint is great for a fish lover, it's kid friendly. Gets crowded though and no reservations (at least since I was there) so get there early!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1309551130|2960152 said:
Please Touch is in the city but parking isn't terrible since there's a parking garage next door.

Have fun!

Please Touch moved to Fairmount Park a couple years ago. It's in the old Centennial Hall now. It's technically "in the city" but it doest feel like the city at all because it's surrounded by green park space! I think there's plenty of parking now, and I heard the museum is 100% more awesome in the new, bigger space than it was before :))

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
janinegirly|1310068588|2964059 said:

Bluepoint is great for a fish lover, it's kid friendly. Gets crowded though and no reservations (at least since I was there) so get there early!

Janine, thanks for posting! I am glad to hear it is kid friendly! Next week I have an appt with my RE and after that appt, I will have a better idea on when I will book the trip. If I end up doing IVF or something I want to make sure that I won't be out of town on any important weeks. We are aiming for early to mid August and will be going from Wed-Fri so I am hoping Sesame will be a little less busy and maybe Bluepoint too! I love seafood so we will definitely go there! Everyone recommended it! Is it casual or business casual?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1310142177|2964732 said:
puppmom|1309551130|2960152 said:

Have fun!

Please Touch moved to Fairmount Park a couple years ago. It's in the old Centennial Hall now. It's technically "in the city" but it doest feel like the city at all because it's surrounded by green park space! I think there's plenty of parking now, and I heard the museum is 100% more awesome in the new, bigger space than it was before :))

Great to know! I think we are going to stop by on our first day there! Then head to Sesame st. the next day, then head home. I'm sure it must be even more awesome now that it is brand spanking new!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1310158831|2964988 said:
janinegirly|1310068588|2964059 said:

Janine, thanks for posting! I am glad to hear it is kid friendly! Next week I have an appt with my RE and after that appt, I will have a better idea on when I will book the trip. If I end up doing IVF or something I want to make sure that I won't be out of town on any important weeks. We are aiming for early to mid August and will be going from Wed-Fri so I am hoping Sesame will be a little less busy and maybe Bluepoint too! I love seafood so we will definitely go there! Everyone recommended it! Is it casual or business casual?

I consider it casual..some might go in biz casual but it's not necessary.

I hope it works out with the RE and am following your story on the other thread
Will have to hear all about your trip in August, your DS will have a blast!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results