shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Yasmin users?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m on day 2 of starting Yasmin, and I am having bizarre side effects.

I feel like I have vertigo 24/7. I''m so dizzy all day, and I have been having tightness/pain in my chest, and a pretty bad headache. I am kind of having trouble swallowing.

Has anyone else felt that way?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would actually go to the ER... blood clot possibility?

Call your doctor!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 11:08:25 PM
Author: JulieN
I would actually go to the ER... blood clot possibility?

I considered it but it''s not THAT bad...

And I can''t afford to go to the ER for them to tell me I''m a hypochondriac. No health insurance.

I can''t say that I''m not slightly concerned, though.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Call your doctor''s office and page the doctor on call immediately. They will tell you if you need to go to the ER.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve taken yasmin and experienced very similar things. i agree with the other ladies that you should call your doctor and, of course, stop taking it immediately - i started with another brand and was fine (ortho tri-cyclen lo).

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I believe that what I just started is the generic equivalent to this BC pill and now that I think about it I had been feeling dizzy more than usual lately. It was mostly happening after swimming though. There were two occassions last week that I thought I was going to keel over after getting out of the pool. The ground was spinning and everything.

Hmm. You''ve certainly given me something to think about ElleD.

I hope you get to the bottom of this and its nothing too serious. I can''t imagine how worrisome it could be right now with no health insurance. Keep us posted and I hope you feel better soon.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 11:01:21 PM
Author:elledizzy5

I feel like I have vertigo 24/7. I''m so dizzy all day, and I have been having tightness/pain in my chest, and a pretty bad headache. I am kind of having trouble swallowing.

Interesting. I''ve been on Yasmin for 3 weeks, just started the ''off'' week, but I def felt dizzy/loopy/woozy hardcore one day last week. Only one day, but totally out of the blue, and I seemed like I was drunk. Very odd.

Also, this is day 4 of my off week, and no AF... is that normal? How long does it take for flow to get here?

missjae

Shiny_Rock

The dizzyness could be caused by the adjustment in your hormones. The tightness/pain in your chest and the headache are symtoms of stroke and a clot and I would be concerned. If you''re a smoker, I would be even more concerned. Having trouble swallowing could be an allergic reaction, or a panic attack from the other symptoms or something more serious as well.

If you cannot afford to make a trip to the E.R. I would definately stop the pill immediately, and call a Doctor or Registered Nurse for further advise and help. It''s never a bad idea to seek medical help, if you are feeling the symptoms, there will be a reason for it....do what you have to do...if it is a clot/stroke you want to catch it NOW because I''ve seen the last minute E.R. visit with bi-lateral pulmonary embolisms in the lungs and trust me...it isn''t pretty and it''s absolutely terrifying and life threatening.

Listen to your body. It''s clearly telling you Yasmin is not for you!!!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 12:32:09 AM
Author: trillionaire

Interesting. I''ve been on Yasmin for 3 weeks, just started the ''off'' week, but I def felt dizzy/loopy/woozy hardcore one day last week. Only one day, but totally out of the blue, and I seemed like I was drunk. Very odd.

Also, this is day 4 of my off week, and no AF... is that normal? How long does it take for flow to get here?
When I was on Yasmin I was a Sunday Starter. I would get AF on around Thursday/Friday of the Placebo''s and it would end promptly Sunday when I started the new pack. I''m sure it''s different with everyone but I wouldn''t panic if you don''t see any AF until closer to the end of the week and it may be lighter and or shorter than you''re usual AF. You''ll know once your body is fully adjusted and has created a routine for itself.

If you were wanting to skip AF all together for any reason (PCOS sufferer''s or Holiday) you could start your next pack right after week three instead of taking the placebos. I use to "skip" every second month. Then on the second month I would take the Placebo''s and get AF for a couple of days like clock work!!! I would consult a Doctor before deciding to do this though as some people feel AF is neccessary.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 1:20:15 AM
Author: missjae

When I was on Yasmin I was a Sunday Starter. I would get AF on around Thursday/Friday of the Placebo''s and it would end promptly Sunday when I started the new pack. I''m sure it''s different with everyone but I wouldn''t panic if you don''t see any AF until closer to the end of the week and it may be lighter and or shorter than you''re usual AF. You''ll know once your body is fully adjusted and has created a routine for itself.

If you were wanting to skip AF all together for any reason (PCOS sufferer''s or Holiday) you could start your next pack right after week three instead of taking the placebos. I use to ''skip'' every second month. Then on the second month I would take the Placebo''s and get AF for a couple of days like clock work!!! I would consult a Doctor before deciding to do this though as some people feel AF is neccessary.

Thanks! I had an IUD, so I had not been getting AF for YEARS and I surely DO NOT miss her! I was using Yasmin while I decide whether to get another IUD or not, but this is my first time ever taking BCP''s, and you would think that at age 26 I would trust my competence, but no, I have been really anxious that I maybe did something wrong or ''broke'' my system, lol. I''ve taken all my pills and been really good about it, but yeah, was a little antsy about AF. If it never comes, should I be concerned??? Before my IUD, I was SUPER erratic. Would grt AF every two weeks, then 1-1.5 months straight, then not at all.
14.gif

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 1:47:41 AM

Date: 3/19/2009 1:20:15 AM

If you were wanting to skip AF all together for any reason (PCOS sufferer''s or Holiday) you could start your next pack right after week three instead of taking the placebos. I use to ''skip'' every second month. Then on the second month I would take the Placebo''s and get AF for a couple of days like clock work!!! I would consult a Doctor before deciding to do this though as some people feel AF is neccessary.

Thanks! I had an IUD, so I had not been getting AF for YEARS and I surely DO NOT miss her! I was using Yasmin while I decide whether to get another IUD or not, but this is my first time ever taking BCP''s, and you would think that at age 26 I would trust my competence, but no, I have been really anxious that I maybe did something wrong or ''broke'' my system, lol. I''ve taken all my pills and been really good about it, but yeah, was a little antsy about AF. If it never comes, should I be concerned??? Before my IUD, I was SUPER erratic. Would grt AF every two weeks, then 1-1.5 months straight, then not at all.
14.gif

If you don''t have any AF this first month I wouldn''t panic, just like your first period and the ones that follow it may take some time for you body to adjust to the pill and the hormones before it regulates. For effectiveness make sure you are taking your pill at the same time every day and if you aren''t or if you''ve had a tummy bug or have taken antibiotics or have missed a pill in the last month I would be sure that you aren''t pregnant, not to scare you. There is nothing you can do to break your system LOL even though the IUD eliminated AF for you, your body will know what to do and will resume the oh so unpleasant visit of AF. There is NO need to be antsy, you can expect to be adjusting for the first two to three months but for most women it usually doesn''t even take that long. All you have to do is sit back relax and let your body do it''s thing. Yasmin should get you on a good and comfortable schedule until you decide what to do.

I would expect you''ll be good and crabby by the end of the week, if not start the next pack stay on schedule and consult your physician with any questions or concerns. If you haven''t yet you can also visit the Yasmin website www.yasmin.com or www.yasmin.ca if you''re in Canada (might need the DIN# printed on the outside of the pack). It is filled with FAQs and information.

If you don''t mind me asking, what type of IUD were you using?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The reason I wasn''t convinced that it was a blood clot is because it fades away over time, and no rapid heartbeat or coughing or anything like that. It was uncomfortable, but didn''t feel serious. I got it both times I took the pill... tuesday and wednesday.

I feel better this morning, but I''m just really bummed that the pill isn''t working, since it''s apparently not. I don''t know if chest pains would be a side effect that would fade away.

I got the pills through planned parenthood, so I guess I''ll call them back.

Finding a pill that works... sucks.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Elle, the same thing happened to me (dizziness, terrible head and body aches, etc.), which is why I stopped using Yasmin. I would talk to your OBGYN if it keeps up. If you continue to feel dizzy later, definitely get to a doctor. I mean it!

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Elle, I had similar effects with Yasmin and it also made me nuts. Nasty mood swings nuts! I stuck it out for a couple of months and it did not improve. It sounds like this may not be the right one for you. I totally agree, finding the right one is a nightmare.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
If you decide to switch you might want to try Loestrin 24. It's similar to YAZ in that there are 24 active days and only 4 "off" days. I've been on it for 2 years and I LOVE it. I feel great on it.

One disclaimer though... the first couple of months on it were really rough for me. I had terrible mood swings and anxiety but my Dr. insisted that I stay on it for at least 3 months. I even thought about switching Dr.s since I thought he wasn't listening to me. I'm so glad I stuck it out because things got much much better... I've really never felt more balanced. My friends who have been on this pill have all had similar experiences... once you get through the first few months it's great.

ETA... sorry I just noticed that you are on Yasmin not YAZ
1.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 8:57:09 AM
Author: elledizzy5
Finding a pill that works... sucks.

I couldn''t agree with you more.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 2:27:47 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what type of IUD were you using?

I was using Mirena, but had some undesirable side effects (my hair was thinning!
23.gif
). Rather sad since I LOVED the convenience (so did SO
31.gif
) and I have never trusted myself to take a daily pill. I am considering the Copper T Paragard IUD, since I like the idea of not using any hormones, and I don't want kids, so 10 years sounds good to me! My sister has been on Yasmin and liked it, so I decided to try that one in the interim, since we probably have a similar body chemistry.

I think I started AF last month around the 21st, so maybe I will start again around that date. If it doesn't come at all I will probably take a Pregnancy test just in case.
20.gif

BC and pregnancy prevention is so frustrating! I swear I should just get a tubal!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Woah, I take Yasmin..and this did not happen to me. I felt a bit nauseous for like 2 days, but that was it.
7.gif
Hope things get better and you find one that works!
1.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear that your symptoms are improving some. To echo the oft repeated statement that not every BC is right for every woman's chemistry, I had a really bad reaction to Yasmin when I tried taking it about 7 years ago. I had been diagnosed with PCOS (which i no longer have, so maybe I never had it?) and at the time, Yasmin was all the rage for use with PCOS women. I felt dizzy, forgetful, irritable, manic, gained weight, and my skin broke out like crazy. My doctor told me it could take three months to "adjust" to it, I had previously been on mircette without incident. It was hell. I waited four months, and went back to my doctor and demanded that she write a new prescription for mircette. The crazy lady symptoms stopped almost immediately. When I reported my symptoms, I was basically told "oh, well but this pill is supposed to prevent those things from happening"...total bs non-answer.

My personal choice has been to stop hormone bc all together...5 years, never been healthier.

Good luck and trust your body to tell you if she is adapting to it or not.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had heard so many things good about Yasmin, so I was really excited to try it. I was on it for TWO days, and the days following my stopping I had a panic attack and 3-4 crying spells. I haven''t had that since... well... the last time I was on birth control.

I used to be on Ortho Tricyclen. It seemed OK to begin with, but as the years went on, I got more emotional, started getting panic attacks, and all but lost my libido. I stopped in November, and just decided to try and get back on something new.

So now Yasmin and OTC are out.

I''m thinking Mircette? I don''t know. Hormonal BC is such a challenge.
14.gif

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
the exact same thing happened to me on Yaz (same stuff, smaller dose). i could only manage for 4 days before i stopped taking it. and THAT screwed up my cycle for 2 months.

i haven''t found a single BC that has tolerable side effects for me. the ones that don''t make me sick make me crazy.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results