shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Vegans? (need bakery recipes)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have any yummy vegan bakery items (preferably whole food recipes - without white flour or any sugar - honey is okay) that do not have eggs as well as not dairy? Anything like crackers, muffins, or bread would be great
1.gif

ETA - I guess honey isn't part of a Vegan diet? I just looked up the definition. I'm having to avoid eggs AND egg substitues and all dairy and hidden forms of it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a whole vegan cookbook called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. For crackers, sometimes the gluten-free items are also vegan, although I don''t know which specific brands are dairy free.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry - no egg substitutes? What counts as an egg substitute?

I grew up without dairy, and your best bet is chocolate things and things compatible with applesauce, as both help hold together the resulting baked good. But the non-dairy bakers in my family also made use of cornstarch, arrowroot powder and other "egg substitutes" because you need an egg substitute to hold anything together. And banana also works as glue, but has a pretty distinctive taste. Only useful for banana bread, banana cake, etc.

Some vegans eat honey, others do not.

Given that you also want no refined sugar or whiteflour, what kind of taste are you going for here? I think a wonderful carrot cake/muffin is consistant with your constraints, but most other things would require significant adaption. I''m not sure that I have had a successful chocolate cake with brown whole wheat flour and non-sugar sweetener. I know I have had some unsuccessful attempts.

Pie. You want to make pie with vegetable shorting. It will be fabulous. Use a sweet fruit or add some sweeter though.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm not vegan, but I have a dairy allergy, so I have a few vegan cookbooks. What are you thinking about making? Let me know, and I'll type up a few recipes for you later tonight/tomorrow (have to go to a dinner in ~1 hr).

ETA: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World is awesome. I've made a few different batches, and my dairy-eating husband LOVED them.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Since you're looking for healthy recipes, VCTOTW probably isn't going to have much for you.

Here are a couple recipes from a vegan cooking community I belong to. I can't personally give any of these my stamp of approval, but the people who posted them give them 2 thumbs up.

Pumpkin Spice Muffins (Vegan)

Makes 10 to 12 muffins.

2 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 15-ounce can solid-pack pumpkin
½ cup raisins (if you don't like raisins substitute in a half cup of chopped walnuts)

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.

Add pumpkin, ½ cup of water, and raisins. Stir until just mixed.

Spoon batter into oil-sprayed muffin cups, filling to just below tops.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until tops of muffins bounce back when pressed lightly. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool on a rack. Store cooled muffins in an airtight container.

E B

Ideal_Rock
This looks fast and easy:

Payday Bars

5-6 cups Rice/Corn Chex
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup Spanish peanuts

Butter a 9x13 pan. Place sugar and syrup in large bowl, then microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until boiling. Remove from microwave then stir in peanut butter and peanuts, mix well. Add Chex and gently mix together. Pour into buttered pan. Cool and cut into squares.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Simple yet Amazing Banana Muffins (from vegweb.com)

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

4 large bananas
1/3 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
1/4 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips or nuts (optional)

Directions:

Blend bananas. Add milk and vanilla.

Mix margarine and sugar and add to previous.

Combine wet ingredients with flour and baking soda.

Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips or nuts (optional).

Fill about half full 10-15 muffins or 24 mini muffins.

Bake at 350F (180C) for about 10-12 minutes, or for 45-60 minutes if making a loaf.

Serves: 10-15 muffins

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Hope one of these works!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebree - thanks! Those all sound so yummy. The pumpkin spice muffins will be perfect for my kids
1.gif
I''ll try all three recipes and report back. I''m desperate for some yummy afternoon carbs (seems like cravings kick in around 4 pm every day).

Monarch - thanks. I''m also hunting down gluten free recipes. I''ve done some experimenting with Quinoa flour but it''s very dry and crumbly and my kids don''t like it, so I''ve ended up making about six batches of experimental "cookies," adding apple sauce and coconut oil, and have ended up eating about 50 of them over the last week! lol The Quinoa flour tastes a bit odd. Even with sweeteners (like Stevia) and a touch of brown rice flour, it still has a vegetable like flavor that lingers.

Cara - oops, I messed up on the egg substitute. My dr gave me a "delayed reaction" food allergy test and all forms of milk/casein & egg yolks/whites are in the high group. She provided a list of what has to be avoided (tons of small little things that are hidden forms of eggs and dairy) and I got the dairy and egg mixed up! lol Egg substitute may save me! It''s impossible to get any of the experiments I''ve tried to hold up without eggs. Banana will be a fun option. Thanks for mentioning that
1.gif

As far as flavor, I''d like a muffin or food with a touch of fruit, but the actual grain part of it to be simply a flour with binding agents. . .basically so I don''t start craving sugar all the time AND so when my kids eat the treats they don''t react and start bouncing off the walls!

Cellososweet - thanks for the website. The breakfast recipes sound REALLY yummy!!! Apple waffles. . mmm. . .it''s 8:30, but that recipe is tempting me to whip out my waffle iron
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebree - have you tried unrefined coconut oil? I''ve been using it place of butter for all my cooking and I bet it would taste FABULOUS in place of the margarine these recipes use!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 8:08:11 PM
Author: cara

I grew up without dairy, and your best bet is chocolate things and things compatible with applesauce, as both help hold together the resulting baked good. But the non-dairy bakers in my family also made use of cornstarch, arrowroot powder and other ''egg substitutes'' because you need an egg substitute to hold anything together. And banana also works as glue, but has a pretty distinctive taste. Only useful for banana bread, banana cake, etc.
Cara - you''re so right about the bananas being distinctive! It''s the first ingredient I''ve found that maskes the quinoa flavor. I used: 2 bananas, and the rest of the ingredients I tossed in without measuring: quinoa flour, hemp seed milk (which mostly tastes like soy milk), baking powder, couple spoonful fulls of coconut oil and stuck the pan in the oven on 350 for around 35 min. and it turned out YUMMY!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 7:56:54 PM
Author: monarch64
There is a whole vegan cookbook called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. For crackers, sometimes the gluten-free items are also vegan, although I don''t know which specific brands are dairy free.

The cupcakes in that book are addictive. Seriously.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
This is an interesting topic as I am trying to switch to a mostly vegan diet (save fish). I have a question though (not to hijack!!!)? Why would honey be something vegans would not eat? Honey is completely natural, and is a part of the natural process of bees lives... if it is grown locally by local beekeepers then I don''t really see the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results