shape
carat
color
clarity

Any tips to regrow hair?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid in September and since then have gotten a radioactive iodine treatment and are now taking meds to regulate my levels. During the course, my hair has been shedding and is extremely thin, not just in one area of my head, but all throughout.

Anyone know what I can do to attempt to regrow my hair? It''s frustrating just trying to style it every day. I used to have long hair but I''ve cut it really short so that when the new hair does grow back, it doesn''t have much to catch up to.

I''m currently using the Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy treatment, but it doesn''t seem to be working. It''s not shedding as much as it initially did, but it is still shedding and I haven''t noticed much regrowth.

Are there any supplements that might help? I''ve heard of primrose oil, or biotin supplements. Anyone try these?

Anyone else went through a similar situation? What did you do? I''ve learned from talking to some people that thyroid problems are actually quite common, but I''m too shy to go into more detail about hair care, supplements, etc.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
prenatal vitamins are supposed to be fantastic for your hair and nails. I''m not sure if they''d interfere with your other treatment (ask your doc) but it could be a good place to start. Also up your protein and calcium treatment as both are good for strong hair growth.

Please do not use Rogaine whatever you do. While it does help with regrowth, it''s not permanent. As soon as you stop using it your hair will start to fall out again.

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2010 4:19:11 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
prenatal vitamins are supposed to be fantastic for your hair and nails. I''m not sure if they''d interfere with your other treatment (ask your doc) but it could be a good place to start. Also up your protein and calcium treatment as both are good for strong hair growth.

Please do not use Rogaine whatever you do. While it does help with regrowth, it''s not permanent. As soon as you stop using it your hair will start to fall out again.
I will ask my doc about the prenatal vitamins. I took them when I was pregnant and I''m not sure if it was because of that or the pregnancy hormones, but my locks were full and shiny. That was also before my thyroid issues.

Thanks for the Rogaine advice. I''m glad you brought it up because I stood at the Walgreen''s aisle, reading the box for about 20 mins, and finally decided against it. It''s pretty expensive.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I started losing my hair roughly 4 months after having my son and it’s very unnerving and quite embarrassing when you find yourself constantly covered in hair. From my experience, prenatals haven’t helped to reduce the amount of hair loss. I’m sure everyone is different, though. I have recently started using Sebastian Volupt hair products, which has helped to give my hair a fuller appearance (short-term fix). According to my hairdresser, if you use this line correctly, you can achieve 75% more volume. Ugh, whatever works, I guess.
5.gif

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2010 4:54:15 PM
Author: sugarpie honeybun
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I started losing my hair roughly 4 months after having my son and it’s very unnerving and quite embarrassing when you find yourself constantly covered in hair. From my experience, prenatals haven’t helped to reduce the amount of hair loss. I’m sure everyone is different, though. I have recently started using Sebastian Volupt hair products, which has helped to give my hair a fuller appearance (short-term fix). According to my hairdresser, if you use this line correctly, you can achieve 75% more volume. Ugh, whatever works, I guess.
5.gif
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I''m really sorry you are going through this too. Did you talk to your doctor about it yet? My hair shed quite a few months after I had both kids. The way my OBGYN explained it to me is that during pregnancy, hair doesn''t shed so you are shedding to make up for those strands. It''s a horrible thing! Sometimes I wonder why hair has to be affected by hormonal changes. It''s hard enough trying to recover from the pregnancy and labor, but having to deal with hair loss too...

I''m curous abou tthe Sebastian Volupt hair products. Does the shampoo or conditioner make your scalp tingly? Does the fullness last throughout the day?

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
The Volupt products don''t make my scalp tingly. I use the Volupt conditioner, and then a little of the volumizing spray gel on my roots (with damp hair). I flip my head upside down and dry that way, and the fullness lasts mosts of the day. Actually, most of the people I talk to can''t even tell I''m losing my hair, but it''s really just because I''m hiding it well.
2.gif
I also use hot rollers and/or a curling iron to help give my hair a boost (when I have a free second sans baby).

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Lovely Hearts, my heart goes out to you. Several years ago my hair thinned during chemo and I was able to take a Chinese herbal supplement (that was OK''d by my docs) for hair loss and the bottle mentioned greyness as well. It had several different names in Eng and Chinese, but if you go to a natural products store they will be able to help you out; I would also however get the OK from your docs before purchasing. I found the supplement to be very helpful, it stopped my hair loss entirely. One doc belittled my request, but I was a teenager and didn''t want to be bald...there is nothing wrong with asking western medical professionals to look into non-traditional therapies. Some might be reluctant to look into it, but one might just do the research for you.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have hypOthyroidism, and my hair used to fall out all of the time. I''ve always had thin hair, but it was falling out like crazy. Are they giving you hormone replacement or some other treatment to even out your hormone levels? Once my hormone levels evened out, my hair stopped falling out so much.

Keep in mind that you''re supposed to lose about 100-150 strands a day normally...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Freke - ask about your hormone levels. Prenatals are always good for you, but they are not actually what makes your hair grow - a hormone secreted during pregnancy prevents you from losing as much hair as you normally would, so it just SEEMS like your hair gets thicker and prettier. Once the baby comes a lot of women loose a lot of hair as your body "catches up." The prenatals will make what hair you have shiny and healthy though!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 5:28:07 PM
Author: LovelyHearts
Date: 3/2/2010 4:54:15 PM

Author: sugarpie honeybun

5.gif

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I''m really sorry you are going through this too. Did you talk to your doctor about it yet? My hair shed quite a few months after I had both kids. The way my OBGYN explained it to me is that during pregnancy, hair doesn''t shed so you are shedding to make up for those strands. It''s a horrible thing! Sometimes I wonder why hair has to be affected by hormonal changes. It''s hard enough trying to recover from the pregnancy and labor, but having to deal with hair loss too...

I''m curous abou tthe Sebastian Volupt hair products. Does the shampoo or conditioner make your scalp tingly? Does the fullness last throughout the day?

While I''m normally the first to trust a doctor''s anecdotal information, this is totally false. I''m currently pregnant and I''m shedding hair like a dog. I pull a clump off the shower drain every morning and I don''t even have long hair!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
LH-I am sorry this is happening to you, it can be really frustrating!

I had low thyroid issues(sub-clinical) and My hair began falling out in large amounts in June last year and I also had an issue with extremely dry hair/skin issues-I had really had it by November, so I began bioSET enzyme therapy and it has helped tremendously!!!

My hair quit falling out slowly and the dryness improved greatly within about 6 wks. My hair is now growing back in(I hate all the fly aways---but it is worth it as it is coming in thicker than it has been in years) and it is soooo shiny and the dryness has improved so much(usually I have super static hair problems all winter, not this year).

So I guess my point is nutrition as well as hormones play a huge roll in hair and skin health-maybe you should look into some supplements to help balance your hormones as well as how your body in absorbing your food(maybe making some dietary changes are in order as well!).

Good Luck!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
By the way the bioSET enzymes are all Vegetarian :)

Bia

Ideal_Rock
My hair tends to fall out a lot more when I am stressed out. So just to calm my own fears, I have been taking Shen Min - a supplement that supposedly supports healthy hair and nails (as well as regrowth). I also take supplements for stress (could be bogus but it makes me feel better). I can''t say I am sure it works but my hair doesn''t seem to be falling out as much.

Worth looking into. I hope it gets better though - hair loss is very upsetting!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 3:56:12 PM
Author:LovelyHearts
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid in September and since then have gotten a radioactive iodine treatment and are now taking meds to regulate my levels. During the course, my hair has been shedding and is extremely thin, not just in one area of my head, but all throughout.

Anyone know what I can do to attempt to regrow my hair? It''s frustrating just trying to style it every day. I used to have long hair but I''ve cut it really short so that when the new hair does grow back, it doesn''t have much to catch up to.

I''m currently using the Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy treatment, but it doesn''t seem to be working. It''s not shedding as much as it initially did, but it is still shedding and I haven''t noticed much regrowth.

Are there any supplements that might help? I''ve heard of primrose oil, or biotin supplements. Anyone try these?

Anyone else went through a similar situation? What did you do? I''ve learned from talking to some people that thyroid problems are actually quite common, but I''m too shy to go into more detail about hair care, supplements, etc.
I had a hyperactive thyroid years ago but never experienced hair loss. It''s been normal for years now. However, I''m still paranoid about not stimulating my thyroid. I''ve been taking One-a-Day women''s multivitamins for a couple months now, b/c it doesn''t contain iodine and it contains 100% of the daily allowance of most vitamins. Iodine and over 100% of the daily allowance of some vitamins MAY stimulate your thryoid. As a general rule, I would stay away from those mega-vitamins with like 500-1000% of your daily allowance of vitamins.

Anyway, I always had a small thin area in my hairline (non-thyroid related thin hair), and it''s filled in a little (not dramatically) since I started taking the One-a-Day.

I suggest checking with your endocrinologist at your next appt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results