shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Tips to a New Apple User?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
So my PC laptop is giving me more and more troubles so I finally pull the trigger and bought a Macbook Pro 13" today(thanks for all the inputs and suggestions on my apple laptop thread) which should arrive on Wed.
Any tips on useful things or tricks etc?
Thanks!

Honestly... Just throw yourself in. You'll learn as you go.
Also... Google is your best friend.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can take classes at the apple store.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched quite a few of the videos on the apple website when I started. If I can't remember a hot key or how to do something I google it. I always can find my answer. The first day or two I was ready to take my MacAir back but now I wouldn't want to give my laptop up.

In your Dashboard you can pick a "tip a day" for your Mac too.

Have fun!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I put shortcuts to all the programs on my dock, and a shortcut to my personal folder (in the hard drive) on the desktop. Then, I'm all set to go.

Silvia

Rough_Rock
Spotlight is your best friend!
(Top right the magnifying glass) I don't even bother going to the Apps folder, I just start typing the programme I'm after and it pops up right away.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys =)
Any good software I should get? a good thing about working for a school is they install them for free for my computer :Up_to_something:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be patient with yourself, it will become more clear really quickly!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1326806781|3105034 said:
Thank you guys =)
Any good software I should get? a good thing about working for a school is they install them for free for my computer :Up_to_something:

I got Pages and really like it. It is basically MS office. I went to CDNET and looked up Mac Software. They had recommendations for software with reviews.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
marcy|1326853401|3105553 said:
minmin001|1326806781|3105034 said:
Thank you guys =)

I got Pages and really like it. It is basically MS office. I went to CDNET and looked up Mac Software. They had recommendations for software with reviews.

great! thank you. I will look it up =)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you get the new one, make an appt at the Apple store with a Genius to have things transferred to your Mac (files etc) and have them show you how to do some basic stuff.

As far as Pages/etc., I have iWork (pages, etc) but I find myself not using it much bec a lot of the things I need for word and excel don't translate between the two programs. I ended up buying MS Office for Mac so I could use what I needed.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I have a 13 inch Macbook Pro, too. Because the screen is a little small, I played with the dock (in settings, I think) and you can have it where it only shows up when you hover over it. That gives about 1/2 inch more screen space.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results