shape
carat
color
clarity

Any thoughts on this light sapphire by Mastercutgems?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock

I like the light colour. Bear in mind the price - I know it's not an ideal gem but I think it looks nice!

I have noted the colour zoning. Is that such a bad thing??

Can anyone see any durability issues with it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks eye clean enough from the top. Nothing that will affect durability.

If you don't mind the zoning, I don't see why not. The unevenness of colouration might bug some but maybe it won't bother you (lack of colour or a bit grayish at the upper right quadrant). I'm sure it played into the price too.

Really well cut so it should flash and sparkle nicely.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! As long as you are ok with color zoning and a lighter color I think it's nice!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both for replies! Sorry I didn't see them when I posted the second time!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or this one:

I want a large light colour sapphire!

Depending on your eye sight, you might be able to see the inclusion as it is quite large and goes quite far across the top. I love to peer 6 inches to 12 inches away so I know it will bother me. Some people don't mind inclusions. Colour-wise, this one doesn't grab me as much. Maybe it is the protography, who knows. The video showed it more silvery grayish yet darker at the same time (can't find the right words). Is that what you are looking for?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
To answer your question - I do really love the lighter sapphires and a bit of grey, though I know this is generally considered to devalue them. I love sparkly gems so good cutting is actually more important to me than colour (is that sacrilege on a coloured gem subforum?) Royal blue sapphires do nothing for me. I also hanker after a stone that faces up nice and big, hence being quite drawn to the 2.53ct sapphire...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, third one I really like because:
1. Could pass off as eye clean. I can still see but it seems masked by the cut and sparkle. Will have to see in person to know for sure. Also depends on your tolerance and eagle eyed-ness.
2. Colouration is even. You like the colour, so check!
3. Cut is fantastic
4. Girdle is quite thick. Make sure the setting can accommodate it. Usually not a problem but just a heads up.
5. Should fit a standard calibrated setting.

I am SO biased in this case so I hope you'll forgive me here. I like this one the best out of all 3 for the reasons above.

I don't know about durability with regards to Sapphire #2. Maybe it'll be ok but if I were the one buying, I wouldn't. Maybe others don't worry about it as much as I do. It is 9 x 7 so it will be noticeably larger than Sapphire #3 which is 8 x 6. Colour preference is personal so cut over colour is a bit sacrilegious but understandable. :shhh: For me, the main issue is the large inclusion across the top, whether you are all right with the visibility and location.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much Chrono! Your input is really helpful, it's so nice of you to take the time :)

I will be getting a custom setting from my local jeweller in the UK who has done brilliant work for me before, so the girdle thickness isn't an issue, nor would non-standard sizes be.

One last option, bit out of left field but here goes:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting Sapphire #4. I love the colour. It is pale, it is light, but it is bright. It is a huge yet an odd 10 x 9 mm size but that's not going to be an issue for a custom setting. I'm pretty sure the inclusions will be eye visible but they are smaller and well spread out so it's not a "look at giant inclusion me". Tough call. I can safely say I would spring for #4 over #2.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the third one. Calibrated size saves you so much money with not having to pay for CAD in a custom setting.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
OOOh! I am so drawn to no 4. I was expecting to get a thumbs down for it because of the inclusions but... they actually don't bother me. (I don't have eagle eyes anyway...) I do really like the colour.

Thanks Voce - but it's very difficult to get calibrated size settings of decent quality in the UK, and with setting fees local jewellers charge, I wouldn't save on a custom CAD setting. I looked into it for previous projects. If I was in the US then I would!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all pretty much colorless to my eye. Are they sold as "blue"?

The 4th one is a mess and I would avoid.

I think a pretty one-carat would top any of these in a ring...

SweetSapphire

Rough_Rock
I probably shouldn’t comment because I am not as knowledgeable as the other members here. I like larger, imperfect stones and actually like inclusions that lend a ‘sleepy’ appearance to a gem. I just think if your eye is gravitating towards larger gems, that’s what you should lean toward.

Besides that, the owners at Mastercutgems are good and honest people (I’ve never seen more detail in the descriptions of a gem) and have a return policy of 10 days. I’ve been pleased with my purchases so I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Sweetnchic your comments are very welcome! I feel the same as you. It's good to hear that you've been happy with your purchases from Mastercutgems, they do seem like very nice and honest people.

Thanks LilAlex, I appreciate your thoughts. I think these stones are pretty. I already have a small (5mm) true cornflower blue sapphire, very saturated, and while I can recognise that the colour is beautiful, it does nothing for me. I want a big light sparkly one! The colours are described in detail on the descriptions e.g. lavender inside and grey blue outside, there is no sense of their being misrepresented.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sometimes helps if I compare just the hand shots when trying to make a decision. Looking at the stones this way, #1 and #3 look the brightest with the most potential for sparkle, but it is hard to judge a stone by just one photo. I like #3, the color shift they mention from lavender to mint green is intriguing.
729D5C85-1081-4E97-A403-180CA1FA9513.jpeg

DAA980D9-B514-4E32-9544-49C00452C7FF.jpeg

EBE536B9-C0C9-4A8C-97EC-BF8B08C74800.jpeg

D8702C1A-5CD5-4D27-9EE0-018470B0C3D6.jpeg

SweetSapphire

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Chrono! Your input is really helpful, it's so nice of you to take the time :)

I will be getting a custom setting from my local jeweller in the UK who has done brilliant work for me before, so the girdle thickness isn't an issue, nor would non-standard sizes be.

One last option, bit out of left field but here goes:

They just posted a video of this exact gem on the main page of the website.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I made enquiries about the gems and Rachelle very kindly made a video without my even asking! Such lovely people. It's all the ones mentioned here in one video.

SweetSapphire

Rough_Rock
Yes I made enquiries about the gems and Rachelle very kindly made a video without my even asking! Such lovely people. It's all the ones mentioned here in one video.

Oh wow, that’s awesome! Good luck with your selection.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a pretty gem, but since you mentioned you love sparkle, it most likely wouldn’t be the sparkliest option since it has silk. Silky stones or stones with a lot of inclusions throughout won’t be as sparkly as a less included stone.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that the photos on their website usually don't do the stones justice. I have several from Mastercut, and they are much prettier in person.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would see the inclusions bright and clear...lol it would not be the stone for me (#4?) but if it speaks to you, get it! If we all liked the same things, this place would be boring AF.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @MillieLou, do you have an update on whether you are going to choose one of these stones? I would be possibly interested in the first stone, but want to make sure you are not still considering it. I love light blue sapphires too =)2

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @MillieLou, do you have an update on whether you are going to choose one of these stones? I would be possibly interested in the first stone, but want to make sure you are not still considering it. I love light blue sapphires too =)2

Hi Odette, how kind of you to check :) I have decided to shelve things for now as the mail in the UK is just dreadful, I would not trust getting anything of value at this time, without the added complication of international shipping. So please go ahead - just one request - will you let me know if you get it and what you do with it? I would love to see!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Odette, how kind of you to check :) I have decided to shelve things for now as the mail in the UK is just dreadful, I would not trust getting anything of value at this time, without the added complication of international shipping. So please go ahead - just one request - will you let me know if you get it and what you do with it? I would love to see!

Thank you for your reply MillieLou! If I go ahead with this stone, or any other light blue sapphire, I will certainly let you know! It would be my first colored stone purchase!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results