shape
carat
color
clarity

Any suggestions for rainfall shower heads?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find myself needing new shower head in the master bathroom and would prefer getting something quickly from Amazon Prime. I would like a rainfall shower head that allows for good pressure and for the water to flow out not just down if that makes sense. If anybody here has suggestions I would be very appreciative. Thanks so much!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of shower setup do you currently have? Handheld or wall mount? Do you already have a high-flow set up with multiple heads and such? It might be helpful to know so we can make suggestions.

Of course, I do not have a rain head shower, so maybe my suggestions wouldn't be good anyway. ;-) I just know that when I was remodeling our very small bathroom, I found that it would be too much of a thrash to put one of those in - too much re-plumbing. I just know that they are typically part of high flow systems, not conventional ones, although they do have a retrofit for everything these days.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Karen, thanks. We have a wall mount and I am think it is a high flow set up only one head not multiple heads. Leaning towards a Grohe or Speakman.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, let us know what you find.

And look what you've done: You've made me go a-googling shower heads just now. :wacko: It still appears there is no rain can head for a slide bar. That isn't part OF the slide bar. I suspect they are just too heavy. We have a handshower on a slide and the slide piece that holds the head has been giving us fits - it was darn expensive and yet they put cheap plastic inside where all the compression is, where the holder is tightened onto the slide bar. My husband fixed it AGAIN, but I suspect I'm going to have to get a new holder in the near future, which is annoying because it's only a bit over 2 years old. Grrrr.

This is the exact setup we have...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://secure.img1.wfrcdn.com/lf/187/hash/818/12840290/1/Delta-Slide-Bar-Hand-Shower-Valve-with-Straight-Handle-57021.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wayfair.com/Shower-Faucets-C531437.html&h=1500&w=1500&tbnid=EiV8KI8sVlS2dM&tbnh=225&tbnw=225&usg=__WTBpBHKcuziGdJRaqalFZ0MLIBY=&docid=tULeAYMEMOvZrM

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karen. I was just talking with a friend who said rainfall will not have as much power as a regular shower head so if that is true I have to rethink what I want to purchase. Thanks for your link. I will let you know what I end up purchasing.

Q

Queenie60

Hi Missy: I have Hans Grohe on my master bath showers. One side is a wall mount and one side is the european type where you can take it down. One word of advise that I have learned the hard way - keep all paperwork for your new fixtures. In the event they fail, the more expensive fixtures such as Grohe are guaranteed and the manufacturer will replace parts. The parts can be quite expensive! Ours are the rainfall type ad we like them, you can purchase them where there's an adjustment on side of the shower head to release more or less pressure.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Hello missy =)
We have 4 different types of shower heads in our master bath. We have the standard, then we have a set of 3 body-length shower heads that are mounted below the standard head, then we have the handheld off to the side, and finally, the rainfall from above. To be honest, I think that I have used the rainfall only once or twice. The pressure is not great and it's sort of odd having the water fall straight down. I'm sure that some people like it, but I would probably not purchase one again in the future.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Queenie and momhappy.

Queenie we have a Grohe right now in the master and I just asked my dh to call them to see if we have a lifetime warranty. Thanks!

Momhappy, we have multiple heads in the master bathroom at the beach house and I only use one too LOL. Thank you for your input.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Missy, I too am going to say no on the rain fall shower head. I've never had one, but I was talked out of it by the ladies at the high end bath place when we remodeled our master bath in our last house. Apparently when they say rain fall, they do mean fall. There is literally no water pressure and it simply maximizes the effects of gravity. We have friends who have one and they said that this pretty much the case. And they never use it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ponder. No rainfall for me...we need an umbrella emoticon here. :sun:
I want and need pressure to get my hair shampooed and conditioned within a reasonable amount of time. Efficiency is critical for me especially in the morning!

OK just decided to buy this one for now until we figure it out with Grohe and if we have a warranty or not. This one is certainly inexpensive enough and seems like it might work out decently.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004XA284E/ezvidtrack633-20

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I had never actually been under a real rainfall shower, until I encountered one - that was installed that way, not retrofitted to be sorta rainshower-like - in a really nice hotel in Ireland. OMG. A revelation. I found there is NO problem getting soap and shampoo off fast - just stand there and WHOOSH. Gone. As far as I can tell though, the trick is having a large enough size - the head I was under was probably 11 -12 inches, anything less might not work as well. Bottom line, after that, I could really did see the appeal.

But again, once you have that rainfall, unless you have a high capacity system to run a hand shower and/or have a switcher installed (more dratted re-plumbing), then you're stuck with only a rainfall.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy if you dont have a filter, I liked our water chef hand held with filter that I got off amazon. It gave us some relief because the hard water was really aggravating my eczema and DHs psoriasis.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pressure was good, by the way. Just thinking about your skin lolol...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Karen. Good points. I like the rainfall in theory but as you point out it might fall short of my expectations. I really want power in my shower lol. I don't like to waste time. I want to get in, do the job and get out and get on with my day. As you might be able tell I am not much of a bath person haha.

Pinto, thanks for thinking of that for me! Going to check that out. I am sorry your eczema and your dh's psoriasis was flaring and I am glad this filter this is helping you! You are right- my skin is acting up a bit probably because of the weather change. So frustrating. Plus I am super stressed about some feral kitties at our beach house that are going to have a TNR attempt this week. I am a nervous wreck about it all and it is contributing to other issues. Bad stress is bad.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a ceiling mounted Hansgrohe Axor rain shower head, wall mounted diverter and wand.
You could use one or the other, or both at the same time.

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/articledetail-axor-downpour-240-air-1-jet-showerhead-28494821.html?fsid=fffffffdx000000330000751100006CD1000074C8&pageid=c21362ff-c5e1-4c53-a0f3-0400614c6a9a&q=

I think there is enough water pressure to get shampoo out of my shoulder length hair.

I saw the sleek looking wand at a hotel in French Polynesia and knew that I had to have one
when we remodeled our bathroom 2 years ago.

sm_shower-niche_img_9634.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh pretty Cflutist! Love it.

Pinto, do you have a link for your water filter? I googled it but for some reason am coming up short. Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a kohler setup as thats what was in the house. 506892

I went with the short hydrorail rod. A longer one would have been too high, but is more like a true rain shower. I also attached a secondary hand held with 2 types of pressure. I miss having body sprays though...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last house I owned I re-did the master shower area and put in a rainhead shower. I can't recall the exact brand but I too was a little leery about the water pressure. I had no issues with this one, but have used some in the past that weren't so great.

My gripe with this unit is that while it had 3 jets on the vertical bar that can shoot water, along with a hand held unit you have to time that stuff right. If you get the temp right for the rainhead and then decide to add the jets, ice cold water shoots out very near your junk. Not exactly a good feeling.

If I were re-doing another shower I would use dedicated wall units and plumb differently.

Overall though, the fixture was about $150 or so best I recall, so it was reasonable.

Edited to add:
Not that you asked but also if doing a total remodel, I'd recommend taking the glass walls to the ceiling and putting in a seal with a good door so you can have a "steam shower". This particular setup I did was a doorless design and I hated it. Everyone I've talked to hasn't liked them either because you catch drafts while showering.

IS6i1jfgsm4vv71000000000.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results