shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Snake Owners - advice needed...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have two Royal Pythons who share a vivarium that is 36" x 24" x 18". The viv is in our sitting room so it''s fairly warm and gets lots of light. They''re also happier when the viv is in a room with people rather than shut away in a spare bedroom.

After years of using lamps as heating, and having the whole system endlessly breakdown due to the corrosion from the humidity, I switched to a ceramic heater with a thermostat. Unfortunately the thermostat seems to not work well and lately I don''t think it works at all!

It was a fairly inexpensive system and in the interests of having happy snakes (and perhaps some little baby snakes) I''m prepared to spend some $$ on a really good heating system.

Any recommendations?

ETA: If you have other creatures that need heating systems then please feel free to give ideas/advice!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Would love to see pics!

I had a Columbian red tail boa for about 5 years then he died.
39.gif

What i did was use a heat mat for reptiles. You put it under the part of the tank you want to keep warmer. Was told by someone who''s a reptile fanatic that''s the best thing. Had a heating rock before that and found out it was very dangerous do to the cord.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 6:47:18 PM
Author: elle_chris
Would love to see pics!

I had a Columbian red tail boa for about 5 years then he died.
39.gif

What i did was use a heat mat for reptiles. You put it under the part of the tank you want to keep warmer. Was told by someone who''s a reptile fanatic that''s the best thing. Had a heating rock before that and found out it was very dangerous do to the cord.
Here''s a photo of my male royal...

For the big pythons the heatmats are a problem as they can get badly burnt even with a thermostat. Their heavy bodyweight can mean that it creates thermal-blocking where the air between them and the mat gets trapped and can rise to very high temperatures. I did use them when they were babies and they''re great for lighter bodied snakes.

portius22.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My python menacing the poker table and stealing all the chips!

Python Picture 055.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
One of my favourite bracelets!
9.gif

I have actually worn him as an accessory to a party!

Python Picture 060.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Love the pics.

As I''m out of ideas, here''s a link that may give you some.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Awwww!
Your slither baby is so cute!!
(I have a soft spot for pythons and their beady little eyes)

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
Awww... I miss my baby! (she passed away early this year)
39.gif
I did a big no no and used a heat pad with thermostat. To keep her from being burned I put down two layers of cage carpet and then her loose bedding. On the warm side of the tank I always had a red heat lamp going and on the cool side of the tank I used a day bulb/heat combo. I tried the ceramic and hated it! It would make the fixture very hot but not do much for the tank. The breeder that I bought her from used only a heat pad for the winter as her tanks were outside and would naturally warm up from the sun. I''m not too sure there are a lot of tank heating options out there
33.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know how people have snakes as pets. They scare me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your baby is lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results