shape
carat
color
clarity

Any recommendations for two nights in Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Where to go? Any recommendations about jazz clubs, restaurants, museums..? thanks
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The Chicago Art Institute is a must-see.

Also, are you interested in local food (necessitating a trip to Pizzeria Unos or Malnati's and maybe tracking down Italian beef sandwiches) or something more high-end?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as restaurants--Petterinos (state and lake maybe?) is fantastic, not cheap. Potbellies is good for sammiches for lunch.

We walk all around Mich. Ave, State, Rush, Oak for shopping and visited China Town there, fantastic. I cannot remember our favorite Chinese. I can ask my cousin and her husband as they are downtown constantly.

We would love to move there....hopefully we will someday.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Ah.. a visitor to our fair city, who likes the blues. You are in for a great time. Agree with the crowd on the art museum. Must see. Checking out the view from the top of Sears or Hancock is also a neat way to take in the views. Other neat things I like to do include shop, but not on Michigan Ave (b/c if you live in a mid-large city you have nearly all the stores anyway) but in the neighboorhoods like Bucktown (North/Damen) or Lincoln Park (Amritage/Halsted area). Lots of great boutiques and a stroll through two of the cities neat little neighboorhoods.

As fars a blues clubs.. they are plentiful and each add their own charm. My suggestion is to start here - www.metromix.com and type in the day you will be in town and the type of music/food/event you want to hear/eat/see. It's a great resource for in and out of towners.

Any questions about specific sites, PM me and I'll see if I can get or offer more info for you!

1.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Don't know what price range you are considering for accommodations, but The Peninsula in Chicago is absolutely spectacular. And don't miss their afternoon tea, the best perhaps in the world.

Restaurants -- a trip to Chi-town wouldn't be complete without a visit to Capitol Grille. Also, Charlie Trotters is basically a landmark.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Giordanos has great pizza!

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Okay, if you do nothing else in Chicago and you like pizza, you absolutely must promise that you'll go to \Gino's East! It's the greatest pizza in the world, or at a bare minimum, it is the greatest Chicago pizza in the world... There's one right off Michigan Avenue and several other locations throughout the town and suburbs. There's a Ghiradelli ice cream shop nearby for dessert too! But really, Gino's is the greatest thing in the world and it's a shame to go to the city without trying.

The Museum of Science and Industry is awesome and the Field Museum has a beautiful gem collection!

For more expensive food, Les Nomades is my absolute favorite Chicago restaurant. Probably top three internationally. I heard Charlie Trotter is taking a break, so I'd stay away from there because there are so many other fabulous restaurants to go to if the "man himself" won't be cooking for you. Ambria is always a fabulous bet and Spring in Wicker Park has a stellar wine list (it's the chef's, Shawn McClain, thing).

In addition to jazz clubs, you should look into shows at the Lyric, Goodman Theater, etc. So much fun stuff--ah! I'm jealous!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Leonid,

I stayed in the Golden Coast Guesthouse last week, a very comfortable and nice B&B downtown. I can truly recommend it.

Anyway, enjoy Chicago, it is my favourite city in the world.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Hope you are looking forward to seeing the best city on the planet! Okay - I am a little biased living here!

Suggested Sites to see-

The new Millennium Park on Michigan Ave.
The Shed Aquarium Dolphin Exhibit
Navy Pier (okay – a bit touristy)
The Museum of Science and Industry
Take an Architectural Boat Cruise down the River
Michigan Ave near Water Tower
Ophra Show

Suggested Restaurants

Uno’s for Deep Dish Pizza
Phil Stefani's 437 Rush (Steaks and Chops)
Mccormick and Schmicks.. (Seafood)
Ralph Lauren’s Restaurant (American)
Portillo’s for Chicago Hot Dogs

Have Fun!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks sooooo much guys. We'll going there all family for a weekend to celebrate my daughter birthday. It's a surprise and I want to impress her
21.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I really liked the Ritz-Carlton when I stayed there. And when I am in Chicago, I always enjoy cocktails one night at the top of the Sears Tower. It's a bit tourist-y but the views at sunset are AMAZING and it's a great, relaxing atmosphere. There is also a restuarant if you want to have dinner.
1.gif

Edited: Wait a minute--this is a teenage girl???? Well, that's a no-brainer: Shopping with your Visa along the Magnificent Mile!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
can i second the Portillo's hot dogs???
9.gif

my boyfriend is from Chicago, and when we are visiting, that's my first stop...then White Castle is soon after
3.gif

Leonid, your daughter would probably enjoy one of the other restaurants mentioned, but if you guys are cravin' a hot dog, Portillo's really has the best
1.gif
hmmm, i'm hungry

headlight

Ideal_Rock
How old is your daughter? If she is young enough, you cannot miss taking her to shop and for tea (reservations required in advance) at American Girl Place!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results