shape
carat
color
clarity

Any PS member have a second/side job?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just curious if any ps member here have a side job/2nd job. BF is thinking about getting a 2nd job to save for house down payment.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Screw that, we barely have enough time together as it is with one job each!

The only time I did anything like that was one holiday season when I thought it would be fun to work at Pottery Barn for the discount. It was fun but man do they treat you bad in retail. I worked in corporate and hadn't been treated like such a peon since I was in college! It was only 3-4 weeks and I was probably a huge pain in their butts (aka sorry can't work that weekend and nope not that one either and we are taking off from 23rd to 1st (but that is our busiest time!)) but I loved talking with other PB-philes like myself, helping the customers find things to buy, and knew their catalog and products inside and out. I also did it with a few friends though most of them bailed out after the first week or so. So overall had a blast. But every time I think about it again I am like...NAH!! Plus I spent my 'paychecks' (read not much money since I only did about 5 hours a week on average!) on all PB stuff. But the discount was FAB...40% off!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have a 2nd job. I worked for Express while I was in college (the first time) and continued to work there even after getting a full-time position w/ decent salary - mainly for the discount. I got used to having cute clothes at 30% - 45% off...
20.gif

I ended up working there for over 7 years & only finally gave it up a few years ago. I''m just too old & selfish with my time these days. When I was younger and single it was fun & since I''d been there so long, I didn''t get the peon treatment, even though I had zero authority and only worked 10-15 hours a week, I knew just about *everything* and got treated more like management (plus, by the time I finally quit, I was like, the oldest girl there - at 26 - aside from the store manager - we were like the old wise women!!!).

Um, if you are looking to have a second job in order to save money... I wouldn''t suggest working for any retail store where you like their merchandise... It''s hopeless unless you have AMAZING self-control... Mara mentioned spending all of her measly paycheck on PB merchandise - I joke that I used to pay Express to work there! If you can take the hours and the heavy lifting, then I know several of my friends have worked for UPS short-time for extra cash - they pay pretty good for PT positions, but it can be hard work!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
My bf has a side business with a friend and although they are just starting out, it certainly takes up a whole bunch of his free time. However, he''s done some consulting work in the past outside of his regular job and the extra money is nice.

I think second jobs are good as a short term solution, but I think they can really drain on you after awhile.

Tell him good luck!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I currently only have one job, but I have had my fair share of the two-job life.

In college I bartended in the evenings at a steak house in Abilene, Texas while attending school full time, working as a PA (Professor''s Assistant) in the Interior Design Department between classes, was an officer for my sorority and still found time to go to church on Sundays and do meals on wheels- it was nuts. My bedtime was about 4am.

In the summers, I worked as an intern at an interior design studio from 8-5 and waiting tables at an Italian restaurant in the evenings and on weekends.

Last year, I was saving up for my new car and didn''t want to give up my financial lifestyle, so I took a 2nd job at The Children''s Place for extra money. I only worked 2-3 times a week and It allowed me to save up a sweet downpayment and pay off all my credit cards in 6 months.

I have paid my dues and now I am a single job kind of girl. Whew!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I actually don''t have a full time job, but I work two jobs. I waitress, I''ve been at the same place for almost 6 years, and I make "decent" money doing that, and even though I only work about 25 hours a week, I can make like $400 in a good week there. Which isn''t much.. but it could be worse for the amount of hours I work.

I consider that my "real" job. My "second" job is in retail, at Victorias Secret, mainly for the discount! LOL. I like their products and doing set ups and stuff.. but I really find that I do NOT like the customer interaction in retail, esp. in such a big company. I get very easily irritated with questions that I find to be stupid questions. And I CERTAINLY don''t make enough money there. Depending on the season/what I tell my boss I want to work, I work between 8-30 hours.. (Yeah.. thats quite a range, and I never know from one week to another which end it will be). When I started there, the minimum wage was at $5.15.. and I made $5.55 an hour..YUCK. but it was 40 cents above minimum.. and stores like Abercrombie start their people at minmum so at least I could rationalize it that way.. but when minimum went up to $6.00.. my pay only went up to $6.00.. instead of $6.40.. I think thats pretty crappy of them to do to us.. We get a raise once a year (everyone gets it at the same time, so it was less than a year after I started working there) so now I make a whopping $6.24 an hour... I keep saying I''m going to leave.. but I never can. There is going to be some overhauling in management in our district soon, and one of my managers is transfering to another state, so I have a feeling I am not going to like what happens and it will be a good reason to leave!

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm....I guess part time job is not a solution.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
My home office is out of state and I am lucky and get to work out of my home. I''ve done this now for 5 years and 2 years ago was really missing the interaction with people so I decided to do something on the side for fun. I became a consultant for Tastefully Simple which sells gourmet food products through home parties. It was fun for a year and then I was done. They have great products and if you like doing this sort of thing you could really make some nice extra $$$.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband use to work two jobs in addition to going to school FT and he was totally stressed out. I don''t think it''s worth it unless you BF isn''t able to cut back expenses in other ways or he''s very good at time/stress management.

Taxes with a second job can be a pain too. I use to work two jobs (PT each) and had to rework my withheld taxes to be sure i didn''t end up owing at the end of the year.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bobo, I read on a different post you are a graphic designer. Why don''t you freelance a couple of jobs a month? Does your contract prevent you from doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results