shape
carat
color
clarity

Any pre-marriage book suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Ok, here''s a random topic for you ladies.

I don''t know why I thought of this, but I started to wonder if any of those pre-marital books are any good. You know, like "What To Expect When You''re Expecting" but for marriage. Haha. The ones where you''re supposed to ask your FI 1001 questions about his life. I know there are all these books out there, but really, are any of them decent? Or are they all boring things that you already knew? I''m not necessarily looking for one, but hey, if there''s a fantastic book out there I wouldn''t be against reading it.

Post any recommendations (or watch outs) of books you''ve read for the other BIW!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Edited post: oops, never mind. I posted in the wrong forum :)

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
I posted this book in another thread, but I Do but I Don’t: Walking Down the Aisle without Losing Your Mind by Kamy Wicoff is a really fun read. It follows the author through her experience of being engaged and then being married, with a nice dose of humor as well as self introspection.

I found it nice how she brought up lots of emotions/issues that many brides deal with, such as keeping ones sense self.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Fiction: A More Perfect Union

Self-help: The Conscious Bride (I think it''s a must-read for understanding weird, jumbled feelings)

Non-fiction short story narrative: Altared (really looks into a wide array of bridal experiences, highly recommend

I liked I Do But I Don''t - but be forewarned/mini spoiler alert!

as a PSer, it''s a really hard read when she downgrades her EC engagement ring.
29.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I have a suggestion that is a little different from what I think you are asking for. I just finished reading "Altared" a collection of non-fiction essays of women writing about the experience of planning a wedding/marriage. Some were just goofy, many have an "ah ha" moment.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Mayachel, I didn''t really have anything specific in mind. All suggestions welcome! Actually, after Elmorton suggested that same book I read some reviews on Amazon and it look like it''s worth reading!

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love Dr. Laura and listen to her radio show all the time. I bought The Proper Care and Feeding of Husband and The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage and am working on reading both of those before I get married. They''re good for the guy to read too. Basically they elaborate on Dr. Laura''s marriage motto: "Choose wisely, treat kindly" which I think is right on. They''ve got lots of stories from listeners about their experiences with their spouse too which I think are interesting.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I also really enjoyed "The Conscious Bride" - its a little cheesy at times, but helps to reassure you that feelings that aren''t completely blissfull/perfect are OK and perfectly normal.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
"the seven principles for making marriage work" by Gottman. Read it with your partner, there are activities to do to practice their suggestions. Very easy read.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Two suggestions:

There''s a Spouse in my House--- Just a funny book. Not so much practical (?) but it''s a good thing to read together and just laugh... Underneath the humor are some very real issues that it brings up. It doesn''t offer suggestions, so much, but you can make ''serious talk'' after reading a funny passage and try to hash out solutions.

The 10 Conversations you Must Have Before Getting Marrried--- (or something like that) It''s long. Its tedious. But Its great. It is not a faith-based book, just a book that gets to real issues that couples often don''t discuss. I''ve actually read some questions and thought, "Man. I don''t want to talk about this..." but that''s a GOOD thing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results