shape
carat
color
clarity

Any pediatrician or new mom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kasmom

Rough_Rock
The CDC now reccommend rotavirus (Rota Teq) oral vaccine for newborn at 2,4 and 6 months. However my pediatrician did not gave my son his first dose at the 2 months appointment. After I found out about the new vaccine, I called up the doctor about the matter and he seems clueless. After doing some research on the internet I learned that is too late for my son to start on the vaccine. Now I''m worry if this would affect my son to get admission to school later on. I''m wondering if the vaccine is mandatory or optional and angry at my pediatrician for being so aloof.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I''m not a new mom but i did not do that vaccine for either of my kids who are now 5 and 3 and they made it though just fine. Have you read up about it? do you feel it''s really necessary? I ask b/c we give our kids so many vaccine''s already (they just added hepatitis C to the list). as far as I know that one is still optional, plus kids outgrow the condition the vaccine is trying to prevent b/f they are school age.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
not having the vaccine will not interfere with your son''s chances of being enrolled in school or anywhere else. the vaccine isn''t mandatory for school enrollment.

rotavirus is a virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. the diarrhea can be quite severe and children (babies especially) can easily get dehydrated. you can get it at any age, so you never "outgrow" the risk for rotavirus. the older you are, the less dangerous it is though. the younger you are, the higher your chances are of being hospitalized for dehydration/iv fluids/bowel rest.

i would be VERY concerned that your pediatrician didn''t know about this vaccine. the american academy of pediatrics has VERY clear immunization charts that are very readily available. this new vaccine has been out for well over a year now. (it''s an oral vaccine which is nice- no shots). if your physician didn''t know about this, then he just simply hasn''t bothered to read any vaccine literature in the last couple of years. he probably quite frankly hasn''t read much of anything. if he hasn''t updated his knowledge about vaccines (something i''m sure he does every day!), what else has he ignored? i would be frightened, very frightened. and i would shop for a new doctor... NOW!

kasmom

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mrssalvo and novia for your responses. You put my mind at ease about the school enrollment as it is my major concern. I do not want another vaccine for my son especially when it''s so "new". From what I read there is a similar vaccine released 8-9 years ago that was recalled. The Rotavirus should not be dangerous for children older than 5 and it can be cure with antibiotics. It still bothers me that my pediatrician did not offer or mention it. I think it''s time to shop for another pediatrician.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
hi kasmom,

i''m sorry to say rotavirus CANNOT be cured/treated with antibiotics. it''s a virus. antibiotics only treat bacterial infections. once you get it, the virus just needs to run its course. iv fluids and bowel rest are used if the infection is bad enough. young children often end up in the hospital for a few days.

there was a previous vaccine that was recalled because of a potential increased incidence of intussusception, an intestinal issue where one part of the intestine gets "telescoped" into another. in the end i''m not sure if the link was actually really proven, but it''s better to safe than sorry and so the vaccine was recalled.

the real issue in my mind is not whether or not you would like your child to be vaccinated, it''s that your pediatrician didn''t know about a vaccine that is recommended by the american academy of pediatrics. i agree with you. time for a new pediatrician! you should get recommendations from your friends and call different offices to ask for information (ask about hours, availability of sick visits, who answers phone calls at night). a lot of offices also schedule 10 minute appointments for you to meet/interview a potential new doctor. you should ask.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results