shape
carat
color
clarity

Any other vegetarians on PS?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I thought I should add a recipe I make at least once a week, Thai Coconut Curry in a Hurry.

The key is to use canned lentils, available in the canned vegetable or bean section of a grocery. I hated lentils all my life, but only because I had the dried kind that ended up chalky and mushy when cooked. The canned are a different story! So good, I throw them on everything...salads, rice, or just plain with herbs and a sprinkle of olive oil. Also, the quality varies quite a bit so if they do not taste good just try a different brand. For example, in Canada for some reason Shoppers drug mart (Life) brand is the best, then generic Superstore, and Walmart's are horrible and once had little rocks. They are all around $1 per can.

Also, this recipe is insanely cheap (student!). All measurements are approximate, I usually just throw stuff in until it tastes good. Makes about 6 servings.

1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp thai curry paste (I use red)
---fry on medium heat in large pot until fragrant
add:
1 tbsp dried basil (or add a handful of fresh at the end, would taste much better)
1 can coconut milk
----simmer 5 min
add:
1-2 cups veg stock (or water + 1 bullion cube)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans lentils (drained and rinsed)
1 500g pack frozen mixed veg (I use an 'asian' mix usually)
2-3 tbsp sugar
salt or extra bullion if needed
---simmer at least 15 min

My DH eats it with brown rice, I save the calories and have seconds instead! Also, you can add 2 packets of veg, use 2 bullion cubes and 2 cans coconut milk for more of a soupy curry.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
shimmer|1305906015|2926579 said:
In my experience, vegetarians are somewhat like religious people. There are those that feel they must spread the word (evangelist), those that look at meat eaters/meat in disgust and must let them know that at any opportunity (extremist), and those that don't give a crap what other people eat and mind their own (pacifist?). So I think that's why meat eaters sometimes have a negative perception of veg's.

I agree, this is why some meat-eaters may dislike vegetarians. However, I think people need to realize that NOT every vegetarian is an extremist or an evangelist, just like not every religious person is one either! I have a friend who was a vegetarian (she recently started eating chicken, so she is no longer a vegetarian!). I barely thought twice about her being a vegetarian because she did not try to force her opinions on me and I did not try to force my opinions on her. No problem. However, I had an acquaintance at school who would give lectures every day when she noticed anyone eating meat. It was ridiculous and made everyone dislike her. I think some people who are around multiple extremist vegetarians may come to assume that every vegetarian is like that...

ETA: Why does my post look bold!? I didn't add the anywhere ...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
iugurl|1305916517|2926719 said:
shimmer|1305906015|2926579 said:
In my experience, vegetarians are somewhat like religious people. There are those that feel they must spread the word (evangelist), those that look at meat eaters/meat in disgust and must let them know that at any opportunity (extremist), and those that don't give a crap what other people eat and mind their own (pacifist?). So I think that's why meat eaters sometimes have a negative perception of veg's.

I agree, this is why some meat-eaters may dislike vegetarians. However, I think people need to realize that NOT every vegetarian is an extremist or an evangelist, just like not every religious person is one either! I have a friend who was a vegetarian (she recently started eating chicken, so she is no longer a vegetarian!). I had no problem with her because she did not try to force her opinions on me and I did not try to force my opinions on her. No problem. However, I had an acquaintance at school who would give lectures every day when she noticed anyone eating meat. It was ridiculous and made everyone dislike her. I think some people who are around multiple extremist vegetarians may come to assume that every vegetarian is like that...

My grandmother is like that. She pushes and pushes vegetarianism on everyone. She's also very religious watching evangelists on tv so it's a double dose of lecture city. Because of the burden I feel she places on me (the weight of all what she attempts to twist into guilt), I don't return her calls. Now she's started texting me. Yes, my grandma has a SMART PHONE! Ugh.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
iugurl and MC, I am glad you have experienced that too... I have to admit I was a little nervous posting that! Thank you iugurl for clarifying what I didn't say, that not all religious people are extremes.

I brought this up because my sister loudly expresses her disgust every time she sees people eating or smells meat (she's been veg for about 2 years). It is so embarrassing! And gives veggies a bad rep.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a pescatarian and I JUST. DON'T. CARE. I eat FISH every now and then (probably once a month.) SO eats absolutely no fish. He is a hardcore veggie. But he loves cheese, as do I.

I love sushi. SO does NOT. We've been to sushi before and it has been a bad experience for him every time. I have given it up.

I still love it. I go with my girlfriends to sushi and it's wondrous!

I've been veggie (for the most part) for 6 years, for health reasons. SO has been veggie his entire life for allergy reasons. We pair well together!

ETA: I absolutely have NEVER told any meat eater that they were wrong. I hate it when someone tells me that I'm wrong for not eating meat! I would never, EVER say the opposite to anyone! I respect everyone's choices!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
April20|1305902098|2926528 said:
Trekkie|1305874554|2926372 said:
Sparkly Blonde|1305854738|2926170 said:
I've always felt that the way that American's eat meat (I'm an American) is quite skewed. I can't think of another country where a giant slab of steak with a little dollop of veggies is normal.

Try South Africa. Even Americans are shocked by the quantity of meat we consume at a single sitting.

Here we have something similar to your barbeque but with WAY more meat. Even visiting Americans are shocked by how much meat we eat.

Where I live (quite rural) a meal is not considered to be a meal unless there's meat and lots of it.

A few weeks ago I was invited to a cultural ceremony. A little girl was being presented / introduced to her ancestors. As part of the ceremony the mother had bought a sheep to be slaughtered. There was also beef available for the elders in the family.

All that meat. Not a vegetable in sight. 30 people... And it's considered extremely rude and disrespectful to leave before it has all been eaten.

So no, I am not a vegetarian. I have many vegetarian friends. Some don't eat meat for ethical reasons, others for religious reasons. I respect their choices and always accommodate their needs when inviting them over or going out.

But me? Never. I know I would never be able to give up my biltong!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't like to eat a lot of meat. It just feels too heavy. My DH, on the other hand, would eat meat for every.single.meal without a veggie in sight if I would let him. He's been concerned, to put it MILDLY, that he won't be able to get a steak or enough meat when we're in SA for these next few months. I'm gonna tell him he has nothing to worry about!! I'm probably screwed. He may never eat a vegetable again.

Oh, this is awesome! You should start a thread on this. If you feel comfortable telling me where in SA you'll be staying I could give you tips on where to go and what to avoid.

We have some really great steak places and you might even be tempted to try some meats you don't readily have in the States, such as shark or crocodile.

Can't wait to see your thread!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My husband is a vegetarian (well it has recently been debated) and I love meat! He did decide to compromise in the interest of making dinner easier and now he eats fish. He's the one who suggested eating fish, but I am thrilled about it. Normally, if I want to eat something particularly meaty, I invite his sister over for dinner. He'll eat the side dishes and a spinach salad and SIL and I will share ribs. It works out well.

Regarding your comment about how some meat eaters treat vegetarians: I find its the other way around. I can't stand most of DH's vegetarian friends (he used to be part of a vegan cooking group) because they are so judgmental about my eating meat. I'm so tired of getting hounded about eating something like pesto linguine in front of them. I realize the parmesan has meat byproduct in it, but I'm comfortable with that. Its not like I'm suggesting that they eat it.

I'm sorry that you've had to deal with flack from meat eaters.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
chemgirl|1305999294|2927311 said:
My husband is a vegetarian (well it has recently been debated) and I love meat! He did decide to compromise in the interest of making dinner easier and now he eats fish. He's the one who suggested eating fish, but I am thrilled about it. Normally, if I want to eat something particularly meaty, I invite his sister over for dinner. He'll eat the side dishes and a spinach salad and SIL and I will share ribs. It works out well.

Regarding your comment about how some meat eaters treat vegetarians: I find its the other way around. I can't stand most of DH's vegetarian friends (he used to be part of a vegan cooking group) because they are so judgmental about my eating meat. I'm so tired of getting hounded about eating something like pesto linguine in front of them. I realize the parmesan has meat byproduct in it, but I'm comfortable with that. Its not like I'm suggesting that they eat it.

Our veggie daughter used to be vegan, and one of the things that made her revert to an ovo-lacto veg. diet was that she felt as though for quite a few vegans she knew, food choices were a contest to see who was more "pure," more dedicated, as if it were all a big competition. I know this isn't universally true, but it was certainly her experience, and as I already mentioned, our other daughter's PETA friend, a young woman we've known since she was a kid, and truly love, makes me want to whack her when she gets going.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1306002883|2927341 said:
chemgirl|1305999294|2927311 said:

Our veggie daughter used to be vegan, and one of the things that made her revert to an ovo-lacto veg. diet was that she felt as though for quite a few vegans she knew, food choices were a contest to see who was more "pure," more dedicated, as if it were all a big competition. I know this isn't universally true, but it was certainly her experience, and as I already mentioned, our other daughter's PETA friend, a young woman we've known since she was a kid, and truly love, makes me want to whack her when she gets going.

I know its not all vegans, but I've noticed this trend as well.

DH and I went fishing back in march and he ended up with 36 facebook comments condemning him for it. I think its unnecessary to judge somebody for their eating habits.

DH's new rule is that he won't eat anything that he won't hunt/kill/clean himself. If he can't face it, he won't eat it. He will buy fish at the grocery store, but we also go fishing when we get a chance. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense and he's not really a vegetarian anymore, but its really nobody's business.

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread OP. I have tried meat, nearly all kinds but I reallly don't like it.

I was brought up lacto-ova vego and my whole family and a lot of our family friends are vego also, that makes it easier (religious group). Haven my experience was much like yours, I burst out laughing when I read your post cos you could have been describing me about going to kids parties etc, I basically just didn't almost anything full stop. I was the only kid in school with 100% fruit juice, no chocolate cake, several pieces of fruit, home made bread and my sister and I did get picked on as it was glaringly obvious that things were different.

I'm also have an anaphalatic reation to all seafood, fish and by-products so fish is not even an option.

I cop a lot of flak from meat eaters, basically constantly because people just cannot comprehend how someone would choose not to eat meat, even as an adult. Also some people just assume that it is fine to serve a vego something with meat and ask them to just pick the meat out, however if you are vego, most of the time you can still taste it and it's not very appealing. I don't judge anyone's food choices and are disapointed that other pople can't offer me the same courteousy :confused:

Normally if I am eating somewhere I will bring a protein substute or something vego so that I at least have one things I can eat.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It started with DD's friends.. Then DD became one. I was fine with it, as for her it was a lot of allergies, so made sense. I was worried about the protein, but she's got it all figured out...

Cut to me??? I was l like I can't live like that... But she's done a great job and has taught me a lot... I still crave a nice Rib eye....But down the road will have one... But have to say eating vegetarian does my body good... We eat fish, not sure if that is cheating, but who cares...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I posted the other night (see above) and I really didn't explain my reason for becoming veggie/pescatarian. Thought I should go into more detail:

My father was diagnosed with colorectal cancer several years ago. (6 years ago, to be precise.) His father died from the same cancer. When I was told about my father's cancer immediately following my first wedding (I was in a taxi on my honeymoon in Las Vegas) I was stunned! I made the decision to become vegetarian very shortly after that phone call, when I had returned to Chicago and was researching online one night. The general belief/finding was that animal proteins stay in your system much longer, and if you have a family history of colon/rectal cancer you MIGHT be better off choosing to maintain a diet which does not include animal proteins.

ALSO: I grew up HATING eating meat. I mean, to the extent that I would HIDE meat under the family room couch. We lived on a 7 acre lot in the midst of 60 acres of land and had "outside" dogs so I got away with it until the cleaning ladies came and I was discovered bi-weekly. I hated chicken, I hated fish, I hated beef. I gagged on a bite of a kielbasa, I gagged on hot dogs, I could NOT eat a McDonald's hamburger. Something in my system has always been repulsed by meat, period. Just. Can't. Do It.

I grew up on a farm. With cattle. With poultry. With horses. I've seen it all, from the age of 2, from birth to death. Still...can't eat the stuff.

That said, I COMPLETELY tolerate and respect those who choose to eat meat. Hey, it's your prerogative. Do whatever you want, eat whatever you like. I still like you. :appl: :wavey:

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Lil Misfit|1305851373|2926133 said:
I am a new vegetarian (3 months) and was just wondering how many other PS girls (and guys) are vegetarians also. I would love to get some recipes and just hear others' experiences, as I am noticing a lot of meat-eaters seem to have an issue with us...not sure why?

I'm not veggie but I do have a lot of favorite veggie recipes that I use when my veggie friends come round for dinner and I cook veggie for myself and hubs at least once a week. Plus my MIL is 95% veggie (in that she will eat chicken or prawns about once a week but generally prefers to be meat free)

One of the points that my meat eater friends and I discuss sometimes is that when our veggie friends come to one of our houses they expect to be served veggie food but when we go to their houses they dont serve meat for the meat eaters, so it seems all take and no give.

One of my acquaintances (I should say friend but I cant cos of what she's like) used to be rabidly vegetarian. Always lecturing the meat eaters about how they stank of rotten meat etc and how we were killing the planet. Then three months after arriving in Australia she became a meat eater because she couldn't find ready made veggie meals in the supermarket. I gave her loads of my favourite veggie recipes and even offered to teach her how to cook (she didnt know how - had always just heated up ready meals) but she said it was too difficult. I lost a lot of respect for her after that.

LOL - funny story. Many many years ago when I was a student, my boyfriend at the time had a friend coming to visit and he asked if I would mind cooking dinner for him & his friend one night. Oh and by the way - friend is vegetarian, is that a problem? "No worries" said I. I do a mean chicken and mushroom risotto (even if I say so myself) and thought "I'll just leave the chicken out and serve it as a mushroom risotto". Well at the end of the night Andy was raving about how good my mushroom risotto was and how he had never tasted better and could he get the recipe. It wasnt till I was writing the recipe out that I realised I had added chicken stock powder - oops!!! So rather than confessing my 'sin', I wrote vegetable stock powder on the recipe I was giving him and crossed my fingers. <cringe> Dont hate me - I was 19. About a month later I get a phonecall from Andy asking me to talk him through the recipe,cos he had tried and tried and tried but couldnt get his mushroom risotto to taste as good as mine. So what did I do? I lied through my back teeth and gave him all sorts of reasons and 'helpful hints'. I never did confess to him that it had chicken powder in it.

Sorry for the long ramble - will look through my recipe box and post some of my favs for you later.

mac

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Some good vegetarian recipes that DH and I both love (they involve cheese or dairy though...don't remember if you eat cheese).

Sweet potato curry (sauce like butter chicken sauce)

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons grated ginger root
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (28 oz/798 mL) diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium veggie stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup light sour cream (not fat-free)
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
1 large can of chickpeas
a handful of spinach

Steam sweet potatoes in a steamer (or bake) until they are tender, but not mushy.
Melt butter in a large pot and then add the onions and garlic. When onions are tender (5 minutes) add the spices and cook for one minute (stir so they don't burn). Then add the diced tomatoes (drained first), stock, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Then blend the mixture until smooth. Finally add the sour cream.
Saute the sweet potato, chickpeas, and spinach in the sauce for 5 minutes.

For a quick lunch I will make spinach salad

Pear and blue cheese spinach salad

Dressing: 2 parts olive oil to 1 part fresh lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
Spinach
Blue cheese (crumbled)
Walnuts tossed in some olive oil and cayenne pepper and then cooked in a skillet for 2-3 minutes
2 pears (cubed)
cuccumber
broccoli

Combine all ingredients immediately before serving

Artichoke, mixed bean, and tomato spinach salad

Dressing: 2 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinager, freshly ground black pepper, a pinch of brown sugar, and a tbsp of tomato paste.
Spinach
Chopped fresh basil (5 or 6 big leaves)
Medium jar of diced artichoke hearts (drained)
Can of mixed beans (drained and rinsed)
Cherry tomatoes (halved)
Mushrooms
Provolone cheese (cubed)
Can combine ingredients immediately before serving, or can add dressing to all ingredients except spinach and cheese and allow to marinate. Add the spinach immediately before serving.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Chemgirl, those sound wonderful, I've already printed them out to try. Thanks!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1306071235|2927705 said:
Some good vegetarian recipes that DH and I both love (they involve cheese or dairy though...don't remember if you eat cheese).

Sweet potato curry (sauce like butter chicken sauce)

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons grated ginger root
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (28 oz/798 mL) diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium veggie stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup light sour cream (not fat-free)
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
1 large can of chickpeas
a handful of spinach

Steam sweet potatoes in a steamer (or bake) until they are tender, but not mushy.
Melt butter in a large pot and then add the onions and garlic. When onions are tender (5 minutes) add the spices and cook for one minute (stir so they don't burn). Then add the diced tomatoes (drained first), stock, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Then blend the mixture until smooth. Finally add the sour cream.
Saute the sweet potato, chickpeas, and spinach in the sauce for 5 minutes.

For a quick lunch I will make spinach salad

Pear and blue cheese spinach salad

Dressing: 2 parts olive oil to 1 part fresh lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
Spinach
Blue cheese (crumbled)
Walnuts tossed in some olive oil and cayenne pepper and then cooked in a skillet for 2-3 minutes
2 pears (cubed)
cuccumber
broccoli

Combine all ingredients immediately before serving

Artichoke, mixed bean, and tomato spinach salad

Dressing: 2 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinager, freshly ground black pepper, a pinch of brown sugar, and a tbsp of tomato paste.
Spinach
Chopped fresh basil (5 or 6 big leaves)
Medium jar of diced artichoke hearts (drained)
Can of mixed beans (drained and rinsed)
Cherry tomatoes (halved)
Mushrooms
Provolone cheese (cubed)
Can combine ingredients immediately before serving, or can add dressing to all ingredients except spinach and cheese and allow to marinate. Add the spinach immediately before serving.

These look great! Thanks! I do eat cheese, but try to limit it. I don't drink cow's milk. I use soy milk in recipes and vanilla almond milk for cereal.

I tried my 2nd batch of seitan last night and it turned out much better this time. I made a loaf and then sliced it and put it in some pasta with marinara sauce. I can cook the hell out of some pasta! :lol:

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a new vegetarian too. I was a pescatarian until about three months ago. I cook way more than I used to, and I do miss the convenience of eating meat. I felt the best when I was a pescatarian. I think I've been eating too many carbs.

Here's a really easy eggplant parmesan recipe:

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1.Combine oil and garlic; brush over both sides of eggplant slices. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
2.Place half of the eggplant in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the basil and Parmesan cheese. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with remaining basil and Parmesan. layer with half of the mozzarella cheese and the remaining eggplant; top with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggplant-Parmesan/Detail.aspx

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I are not vegetarians (there is pretty much no type of food I won't eat), but I was one for about 8 years and he was raised vegetarian by his parents, so when we cook at home it is often meatless. We also are very conscious about where we get our meat (we primarily get grassfed and/or freerange beef/pork/lamb/poultry etc. from local farms through our food buying club or local farmer's markets, so it makes it too pricy to eat regularly.) I'd say we maybe eat meat 1-2 times a week, if that. We do eat a fair amount of dairy and we raise our own chickens so we go through a TON of eggs.

Some of our favorite easy veggie dishes are pastas (pesto, caccio e pepe, mac & cheese, homemade tomato sauces, cheese filled ravioli), roast veggies (asparagus, spring onions & garlic whips this time of year, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes), steamed veggies with brown rice (broccoli, artichokes), soups (I have a fabulous cream of celery soup that I'd be happy to share with you--it is freakin' incredible), quinoa (I like it with onions, tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, feta, olives, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and lemon), entree-sized salads (sometimes we'll make our own caesar dressing or do greek salads or pickled beet & goat cheese), frittatas (egg based, but super easy and a great way to use up produce left in your fridge...we did one the other night with german butterball potatoes, garlic whips, onion, kale and fresh chopped herbs...tarragon, parsley and chives I think), beans & rice, risotto (another great way to use up leftover produce and you can do it with vegetable broth to make it vegetarian). There are a ton of great side dishes, too--potato salad is great if you eat eggs (especially with homemade mayo--yum!), spinach dip, etc.

There are some great meat substitutes out there, but veggies are so fabulous on their own that I don't see the point. For example, rather than doing ravioli with fake ground beef, do it with eggplant & peppers or try an eggplant parmesan instead! I second whoever recommended Vegetarian Times--they have awesome recipes, but I think that most recipes can be adapted to eat without meat. Another suggestion is to join a CSA or food club where you can get farm fresh local seasonal produce. It will expose you to new veggies and really expand your horizons in terms of what you have to experiment with. Plus the veggies are unreal. We got some mesclun mix last week that was so fabulous, we literally ate an entire pound in one night.

ETA: Ditto on the curry! I totally forgot about that.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BurberryGirl - Thanks for the eggplant parm recipe. Seems much easier to make than the standard breaded eggplant. I think I'll pick up some eggplant and will try it this week.

Tonight, I plan to make an avocado, tempeh and feta salad. http://www.rotinrice.com/2010/05/avocado-tempeh-and-feta-salad/ Yum!

Another favorite and easy thing to make is Trader Joe's veggie chili. It is so so good! We use it on baked potatoes, in a taco salad, with pasta,sprinkled with cheese, or just plain chili for a work lunch. It is so great to have in the pantry for a busy night's meal. Last time I went to TJ's, I picked up 10 cans. Lol. Hate to run out of it. :wacko:

LS - In response to your comment above re: other people caring what our kids eat, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people just love to pick us mothers apart for whatever decisions we make!! We are easy targets! So, any choice that we make that is outside of the perceived norm gets raised eyebrows. Personally, I applaud your decision, and I'm starting to have second thoughts about my own.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say thanks to those of you posting recipes! We're definitely meat-eaters, but I try to do at least one or two nights a week with no meat. It's very hard for DH to feel full without meat so I'm hoping something like eggplant parma will give him the fullness he craves.

I don't actually know anyone (besides PSers) who are veggies of any variety. I didn't even know there were levels of vegetarianism until this thread.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was vegetarian (eggs & cheese okay, no fish, veg rennet only) for 7 or 8 years. Gotta say it was pretty tough since I was still in high school and my family is NOT vegetarian. I had to purchase and prepare my own meals -- usually eating after everyone else so that I wasn't "in the way" while they were getting their meals.

Middle Eastern food is GREAT! I have some Persian cookbooks at home that are not "vegetarian", but pretty much all of the recipes can be easily converted to (and often have the conversions printed) vegetarian. Lots of flavor and mostly pretty easy to cook.

I'll dig up some recipes later.

It was a good and interesting experience for me. Thanks to lots of "gee.... can't you just pick it out?" and "here -- this is vegetarian.... just has beef stock in it!", I've learned to ALWAYS ask people I invite to our home if they have any special food requirements and (even when I don't have a vegetarian coming) make sure that I ALWAYS offer plenty of vegetarian (vegan actually) options just in case.

ETA: Earth Balance buttery sticks are AWESOME -- certified vegan, taste good, and stands up to frying! Gotten a little pricey, but well worth the money. They really are the best I've found.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I seriously cannot wait to try that sweet potato curry no. :lickout:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I've been some form of vegetarianish for 16 years (mostly lacto-ovo, but 1 year was vegan for allergy issues, and the past couple years I've been eating fish sometimes. I grew up in farm country, ate meat in a very meat eating family, but when I saw the cross-section of a human thigh looked just like a ham :knockout: , I was done with beef and pork and a year later chicken started freaking me out.

I am not super picky since it's really more the meat texture and concept that bothers me so I will now eat things cooked with meat and just pick the meat out as well as things with broth/stock. DH loves meat, but in the 10+ years we've been together (including the year I was vegan) we just work things out. I'll cook meat even though I think its gross. We try to buy ethically raised, local meat and we'll make a pork chop or chicken for him along with our veggie dinner, or we'll make a pot pie that is half tempeh for me and chicken for him, sausage on half of a lasagne...

it's strange I guess, but works for us. When our son arrives later this year from Ethiopia we'll have to see how his eating fits into all this:)

I can't stand vegetarians/vegans who make it a fervent evangelical/more vegan than you kind of contest. :rolleyes: :knockout:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me again! :wavey: I love reading this thread, because some of the true opinions of meat-eaters and non-meat-eaters are being explored! I've always been so quiet about my choices IRL that I haven't really paid attention to the if's/ands/whys/buts, etc. from the other camp. And honestly, it just didn't make a difference to me, I made my choices not based on political or ethical reasons (although I understand them and sometimes support them).

I have another scenario to present in this thread: my SO is vegetarian but not by choice. He seriously cannot digest meat, poultry, or pork without becoming very, very ill. Some might call it a "meat allergy." He's been this way since the age of 6. He can eat some fish, but not shellfish, but doesn't bother with anything pescatarian just in case. We've actually left a restaurant before and he's made himself sick at home (several blocks away) because of the seriousness of his health being compromised due to trying to digest meat. I had never heard of it before I met him. I googled "meat allergy" and came up with a lot of benign information that really didn't tell me anything. But I have seen him accidentally ingest red meat (I mean, it was an accidental TASTE, mixed with pasta at a friend's house) and he was ill for the next 24 hours. He never tells anyone about this, he just tells people he can't eat meat, and he brings a dish of his own to every single get-together between friends. I've never seen anything like it.

Again, neither of us talk about the reasons why we don't eat meat when we are company, or really anytime, unless pressed. When we do answer questions, we're very to the point and we try to be non-judgmental. We both hate the vegetarians or vegans who are so gung-ho on preaching about the virtues of their dietary guidelines. Gack. Someone else likened it to religious fanaticism, and I wholeheartedly agree. What a turn-off. People make lots of different choices in life, who am I to judge which ones are right or wrong???

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, that is awful! Your poor FI!

As I mentioned before, we are definitely not vegetarians at this point, but if we have vegetarians coming over for dinner we make dishes that accommodate their needs just as we would with any dietary restriction. We have one friend who can't have any corn, so if we have her over we make things that contain no corn or corn additives in them. I have a friend coming over for dinner tomorrow who has dietary restrictions (absolutely no dairy, no onions, no roughage) and so I came up with a meal that is appropriate. I think the unwillingness to compromise if you're inviting people into your home is ridiculous. Why bother inviting people to dinner if you aren't willing to cook things that they can eat???

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ladypirate|1306391003|2930618 said:
Monnie, that is awful! Your poor FI!

As I mentioned before, we are definitely not vegetarians at this point, but if we have vegetarians coming over for dinner we make dishes that accommodate their needs just as we would with any dietary restriction. We have one friend who can't have any corn, so if we have her over we make things that contain no corn or corn additives in them. I have a friend coming over for dinner tomorrow who has dietary restrictions (absolutely no dairy, no onions, no roughage) and so I came up with a meal that is appropriate. I think the unwillingness to compromise if you're inviting people into your home is ridiculous. Why bother inviting people to dinner if you aren't willing to cook things that they can eat???

I agree with you, LP (btw, good to see you posting again!) regarding the cooking-for-guests thing. We have a friend who has an allergy to gluten, and another in the same circle who is allergic to wheat. It is challenging sometimes to come up with a menu pleasing to everyone but we can usually make it happen.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Monnie,
my husband is like that but for shellfish rather than meat. If he injests prawn, shrimp etc he literally has a red line rise rapidly up his body and when it gets to head level he projectile vomits. If you havent seen it it sounds absolutely crazy. One time when living in HongKong he was was at a friends house who made a curry for 12 people but added 1/2 teaspoon of shrimp paste to the pot. Within 5 mins of taking his first mouthful the redline was rising :-o

Anyway.....
here are some of my favourite veggie recipes.

first-up a recipe we picked up when living in Germany

Rosmarinkartoffeln
Serves 2-3

Cooking 35 minutes

1 kg small potatoes
1 bunch rosemary
olive oil
salt
35 minutes time!

1. Wash potatoes thoroughly and place in a large pot.
2. Cover with boiling water and cook for approx 15 mins – Do not allow the potatoes to become overcooked.
3. Wash the rosemary and pull off the leaves, drying thoroughly.
4. Drain the potatoes.
5. Heat olive oil in pan, add potatoes and rosemary leaves and cook for 8 mins. Beware – if rosemary leaves are not thoroughly dry, splattering will occur.
6. Remove from heat and season to taste.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
next up an all kebab meal (main course and dessert)

Vegetable Kebabs
In a pestle and mortar or electric grinder, grind some lemon grass, coriander roots and a chopped red chilli into a fine paste.

Place some small button mushrooms, diced red pepper, shallots and par-boiled new potatoes in a large bowl. Add in the lemon grass paste and mix well.

Mix in some soy sauce, oyster sauce, turmeric and cumin (about a 4:2:1:1 ratio). Season with freshly ground pepper.

Set aside to marinate for at least 1 hour.

Thread the vegetables alternately onto bamboo skewers (remember to soak) and brush the vegetables with oil. Normally I just use vegetable oil but you could use olive oil as well.

Cook the vegetable kebabs on a hot barbecue until tender, browning on all sides.

Mango Kebabs
Chop a couple of mangoes into chunks and thread about 5 or 6 chunks onto each skewer.

Mix some maple syrup (about 2 or 3 tablespoons depending how sweet the mangoes are), Juice of 1 lime and about 1/3 of a block of soft butter together and brush generously over the mango kebabs.

Cook until the mango is brown on all sides, Brush more butter mix on if necessary.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
These are yummy

Sesame Grilled Snow Peas

¼ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1-2 tsp Sesame Oil
2tsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated ginger root

1lb snow peas
2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted

1. Whisk together the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl until blended
2. Place snow peas in a foil pocket
3. Pour sauce mix over peas and seal pocket
4. Grill (BBQ) over medium heat for 7 mins.
5. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds before serving

Alternatively at Step 5. Allow to cool slightly and mix with baby salad leaves, then sprinkle sesame seeds over top.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Spicy Potato Cakes
1 kg mashed (sweet) potato
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp honey
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp black pepper

1. Combine all the ingredients and shape into patties.
2. Grill / BBQ on medium heat until golden brown

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results