shape
carat
color
clarity

Any opinions on the amazon kindle fire?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking of getting this for my dh for the holidays because he has been wanting a kindle but I know it's not out yet so not sure if there will be problems with it once it does come out. Like many newer models of electronic devices there are often bugs that need to be worked out. He does want the best version though so I am unsure as to what to do. Any advice/thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am definitely interested in it, too. My hesitation is the same as yours...I like to read reviews first! Kindle has been doing well thus far, though, and the Fire is the model that is certainly drawing my attention.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Fire is bigger and heavier than the regular kindle. My husband has ordered one, but it won't come until later in the month. He is getting it for the internet access and price. He doesn't want to pay the price for a ipad. I have the 2nd generation kindle and I love it,
but I would love the touch screen version. You get a little bit less in terms of storage, but how much the difference between 3500 books and 3000...I'm not sure.

If you hubby wants to use it as a reading device, I would probably go for the touch. I do like the color of the Fire but the weight and size would make a difference to me. I think you also don't have the battery life.

What does he want it for, reading or internet and movies, or all?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree with luv2sparkle that the regular Kindles are the best for someone who just wants to read. I have the Kindle 2 now and I am getting a Touch as soon as they come out. Of course the Fire has the advantage of allowing you to search the web, check email, and play games and things so it really does depend on how you plan to use it. It is much cheaper than an iPad, but it is WiFi only and not 3G and there is less memory. I wouldn't really worry too much about potential bugs with a new product because Amazon has such good customer service.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
For me, the appeal of a Kindle is the high contrast E-Ink display and the really long battery life. The free 3G is also great for buying books while you're on the go. I bought DH a 3rd generation Kindle for Christmas last year and its really great. He can download books in the airport before a flight and it doesn't need charging for more than a month. The Kindle Fire doesn't have these features.

I think the Touch is supposed to have a similar screen and battery life to the 3rd generation.

The Kindle Fire looks like its more of a tablet. The price looks great and I want one, but as a cheaper alternative to an ipad. I think if I were buying a Kindle as an e-reader I would go with one of the non-color versions.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess, I must have the 3rd generation. I have only had it since January. I get lost in all the generations of all the tech products.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
For an e-reader, I agree...go with the regular Kindle or the new touchscreen one.

For a tablet that's way cheaper than the ipad, I would choose the Nook tablet (formerly Nook Color) over the Kindle Fire because it has more memory and I think a faster processor. But if I were buying a tablet today, I wouldn't choose either of those. I'd go for the new Acer Iconia. Latest version of Android 3 (fully functional Android, not watered-down e-reader Android) and a USB port. I think it was on sale at Costco for under $300.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1320763961|3056841 said:
The Fire is bigger and heavier than the regular kindle. My husband has ordered one, but it won't come until later in the month. He is getting it for the internet access and price. He doesn't want to pay the price for a ipad. I have the 2nd generation kindle and I love it,
but I would love the touch screen version. You get a little bit less in terms of storage, but how much the difference between 3500 books and 3000...I'm not sure.

If you hubby wants to use it as a reading device, I would probably go for the touch. I do like the color of the Fire but the weight and size would make a difference to me. I think you also don't have the battery life.

What does he want it for, reading or internet and movies, or all?

Hi Luv, thanks for your response.
He wants it mainly for reading books and his newspapers but with the ability for limited internet access should the need arise. He really likes the idea of color though as one of his favorite newspapers is easier to read that way. I agree with you re battery life and weight though so I will be sharing this info with him. I know if it were for me the weight and battery life would be a deal breaker if I had any other options. Thanks so much!

sundial said:
I agree with luv2sparkle that the regular Kindles are the best for someone who just wants to read. I have the Kindle 2 now and I am getting a Touch as soon as they come out. Of course the Fire has the advantage of allowing you to search the web, check email, and play games and things so it really does depend on how you plan to use it. It is much cheaper than an iPad, but it is WiFi only and not 3G and there is less memory. I wouldn't really worry too much about potential bugs with a new product because Amazon has such good customer service.

Thanks Sundial. He wants it mainly to read but of course it can't be that simple as he told me he wants the option for internet if he needs it. LOL. First he tells me one thing and then he decides all these other things are necessary. When he was first thinking about it he said black and white would be fine but now it's not as it would be harder for him to read the WSJ for some reason. :rolleyes:
I would think 3G is a big advantage which if the Fire does not have might be something for him to consider. Interesting about not having to worry about bugs. I always think that is something to worry about in new generations especially what happened with the iphone but that's one less thing for me to be concerned about. Though I really would hate to have to use their customer service in any way. I am so lazy sometimes- I just want something with a proven track record because it is so much simpler all around.
Thanks!

chemgirl said:
For me, the appeal of a Kindle is the high contrast E-Ink display and the really long battery life. The free 3G is also great for buying books while you're on the go. I bought DH a 3rd generation Kindle for Christmas last year and its really great. He can download books in the airport before a flight and it doesn't need charging for more than a month. The Kindle Fire doesn't have these features.

I think the Touch is supposed to have a similar screen and battery life to the 3rd generation.

The Kindle Fire looks like its more of a tablet. The price looks great and I want one, but as a cheaper alternative to an ipad. I think if I were buying a Kindle as an e-reader I would go with one of the non-color versions.

Thanks chemgirl. I knew that PSer's would have the down low on this because you guys are awesome!! I have no knowledge on any of the kindles and thanks for your input. I really like the free 3G and being able to buy books whenever. And the charge lasting so long is a huge advantage IMO! Lot to think about as to which one would work best for Greg. I am sending you big (((hugs))) and keeping you and your kitty in my thoughts.

jstarfireb said:
For an e-reader, I agree...go with the regular Kindle or the new touchscreen one.

For a tablet that's way cheaper than the ipad, I would choose the Nook tablet (formerly Nook Color) over the Kindle Fire because it has more memory and I think a faster processor. But if I were buying a tablet today, I wouldn't choose either of those. I'd go for the new Acer Iconia. Latest version of Android 3 (fully functional Android, not watered-down e-reader Android) and a USB port. I think it was on sale at Costco for under $300.

oooh, thanks jstarfireb! We will definitely check this out at Costco this Friday! Great suggestion. I love Costco...they have almost everything! :appl:

diamondseeker 2006 said:
I am definitely interested in it, too. My hesitation is the same as yours...I like to read reviews first! Kindle has been doing well thus far, though, and the Fire is the model that is certainly drawing my attention.

Thanks DS...I will update the thread to let you know which way we go. Lots of info to process and I really want to make the best choice for Greg as he has been wanting one for a long time and I am not sure why he has been dragging his heels. I sometimes feel like I get all the good gifts and he deserves something that he will enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results