shape
carat
color
clarity

Any nurses living in DC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cairns

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m graduating from nursing school in May and moving to DC from Cleveland. I have looked at the hospitals on the internet, but I would really appreciate an insiders perspective.

Many Thanks
1.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Cairns - What is your specialty? I actually work for a nursing association in DC. Maybe I can get some info for you.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend who is looking at nursing jobs in DC as well, so any info. would be great! (I don''t have any info. for her because I''m in the legal field).

I can help with DC neighborhoods and that sort of thing though.

cairns

Rough_Rock
I want to eventually go into health policy, hence the move to DC. I don''t know if my plan is a good one, but I thought that I would do bedside care and apply to graduate programs in public administration or public health, during that time I would also work on health policy on a volunteer basis. Once I graduated I had hoped to find a paid policy position. It will be difficult to leave bedside care, but I feel that by doing policy work I can have a greater impact on patient outcomes. As far as bedside care, I worked in a Neuro ICU as a student and really felt it was a match. Any point in the right direction either area (bedside or policy)would be great sumbride, thank you!

winternight-
I was thinking of adams morgan for the initial search for an apartment, do you think that is a good choice?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Adams Morgan is a fun area, there are alot of bars/clubs on 16th street and its very popular during the weekend. There is more crime there IMO and guys will be more agressive there - at least I get cat called there sometimes. Its a Latino neighborhood but mixed in terms of who lives there, so its a diverse area. I would be careful getting something by the park (Meridian Hill Park) because I had a male friend who lived over there who was mugged at night. Its a really cute park but I think its a little unsafe for a woman to walk around at night. The Dupont Circle area is considered safer, but you''ll want to watch out as you get closer to Logan Circle and the U Street Area - I lived in the U Street area during law school and it can be somewhat rough - that was about 3 years ago though. I really don''t think its a great area to live although some people like it - its being gentrified, well at least it has been for several years now.

If you''re new to the city from Cleveland I would recommend considering Cleveland Park or Woodley Park - you can still walk to Adams Morgan from Woodley or even to Dupont but both areas have a more neighborhood feel, very safe, and relatively diverse. You''ll see more strollers in Cleveland Park but you also won''t get cat called walking down the street. The Dupont Circle area is also very nice but more expensive and more city-like, its a gay neighborhood that alot of 20-30something choose to live in. I don''t know if you''re coming to the area but I found my apartment by walking down Conn. Ave and just looking for signs. Kalorama is also nice, a bit of a walk to a Metro but its the neighborhood between Woodley and Dupont.

If you have any other questions I''ll be happy to try and answer them, its hard to move somewhere without having an idea of hte neighborhoods. I don''t know too much about VA or MD areas though.

cairns

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the info! it will help so much when looking for an apartment.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results