shape
carat
color
clarity

Any netbook users?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been looking at possibly getting a netbook for travel (mainly business) and wondered if anyone here had recommedations. Primary uses would be spreadsheets and internet.

Mainly, I''ve been looking at the Acer AspireOne 9in with Windows XP and the 6 cell battery. Any comments good or bad on this one? I''ve wondered if I would be better off with a 10in screen like the EeePC 10in, but don''t want to go larger than that (otherwise I''d take my 14in laptop)

Any comments and recommendations appreciated.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Great question!! I''ve also been shopping for a netbook.

I''m really unsure about the quality of the Acer but it does come with the trial version of Office and I''m not sure if other brands offer that (anyone know?). I''d really like to have Office on the netbook but I''m not sure how I''d get it on there if it doesn''t come already loaded (without buying a seperate CD/DVD drive).

I''m looking forward to seeing what others suggest.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Samsung NC10. DH got it for me for Christmas. I wanted it mainly for internet use. Long battery life was an important factor for me, so I think that''s why he picked this one. I don''t know much more about the specs, but I found this review:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/samsung-nc10.aspx

And, here''s a Pricescope appropriate pic of my laptop cover.
9.gif

laptop cover pic resized.JPG

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Acer AspireOne.

It is lovely! I''d recommend getting to a store and trying out the keyboard - it is smaller than standard, and I know some people find it difficult to get used to. I find the mousepad sort of weird (clicky buttons are on either side of the touchpad instead of below), but that was easily solved with a USB mouse.

It is light, portable, beautiful screen display...I really really dig it. I use it for some internet access, mostly for writing. It also has a built-in microphone and webcam, so I use it to talk with my sister who is halfway across the world. The screen is a little small, but I don''t even notice it anymore. Don''t know how I did without it. My laptop was so much clunkier.

Plus...it comes in a bunch of pretty colors!
25.gif

If I were to get nitpicky, the only thing I don''t like about it is that the shiny, pretty outside surface of the netbook picks up fingerprints really easily.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I have the HP Mini 1033CL, which is the newer version with the 10" screen. It came with Windows XP and I purchased a separate CD drive in order to load Quicken. I really like the fact that the keyboard has been made larger (92% of a regular keyboard). I wanted something small and easily portable for travel and the occasional coffee shop surfing, but I find that I also use it at home when I am watching tv and surfing. I got it at Costco for $399.

shelleydog

Shiny_Rock
We use a couple Dell Mini 9''s in our business that I really like (I''m the one that purchases computers for our business). This is different than the other netbooks mention here in that it has a solid state hard drive, meaning no moving parts. Pros are NO noise, no fans, you don''t have to be as careful with it because of the lack of moving parts, and it weighs only 2 lbs. with a 4-cell battery. There''s only one con and that is the drive is small. I had ours built with 16 gig hard drives. I have installed Office and whatever else we need though with no problem. I also upgraded these to 2 gig of ram. I see these sold by BestBuy with 8 gig hard drives - I would not buy that. You could check out the feel though. The mini has gotten great reviews and is very well made. Dell will custom make it however you want.

YayBananas

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have the Dell Inspiron Mini 9, and as Shelleydog said, the hard drive as cheaply priced is small, but since I only use the netbook for internet/e-mail, I don''t need the storage space. I have this one networked to our desktop PC on the wireless router, so I can save/access things without needing to use the netbook''s storage. The keyboard takes a ltitle getting used to, but overall it''s small, quick, and quiet. I love it!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I just gave DH a Dell mini 9 for his birthday and he LOVES it. He''s a tech junkie and I can hardly pull him away from it. I went with that one because its fully customizable on their website and we got a good discount. It also seems a little more substantial than some of the cheapy looking ones I''ve seen. DH''s has linux (its cheaper) but he can load Windows XP on it if he wants since he has the disc. He likes it the way it is though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results