shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Nail Techs Out There??? Help for fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I am ashamed to admit that I believe I have a fungus under my nail. I do not have acrylic, nor have I for about 7 years now. I did mash my finger badly about a month ago, and I think this trauma caused the nail to lift a bit and moisture to get under it and start the growth.

I"m so embarassed by the look of this and want to get rid of it quickly!

I''ve tried Dr. G''s Clear Nail for 3 weeks now with no sign of improvement.

Has anyone had success with any other sort of treatment?

Thanks!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, Giada. I know that this is likely unpleasant for you.

I''m not a nail tech but have you considered going to the doctor for some type of antibacterial/antifungal ointment or treatment?

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Hey girlie--

I have done nails for the past 12 years. My advice would be to go see a doctor about your nail. *Usually* fungus on the finger nail is from wearing acrylics. Since you haven''t worn them for the past 7 years, coupled with a nail injury and an antifungal that isn''t working, I would speculate that its either not a typical fungus that can be killed with the topical polish, or its not a fungus at all and actually nail bed damage from mashing your finger. Sometimes it takes oral meds, like diflucan, to kill a nail fungus. Any general physician can diagnose this for you. If it is a gnarly nail injury and not a fungus, they may refer you to a dermatologist. Good luck!!
1.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for the advice.

I was afraid that a topical treatment wouldn''t do the trick, but I sure was hopeful.
emsad.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I had it on my toenail once and it was so annoying. The nail actually came off! I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed Lamisil--the oral one, not topical. I had to take it for a few months, I think, and when the nail grew back there was no fungus! Don''t be embarrassed, it happens! Good luck!

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Hello- sorry to hear this.. I think it would be best to see a doctor so you can get prescription anti-fungal meds. Go soon, you don''t want this infection to become systemic.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2008 9:39:34 AM
Author: Giada
Thank you both for the advice.

I was afraid that a topical treatment wouldn''t do the trick, but I sure was hopeful.
emsad.gif
HI:

Yes, as was my DH. He ended up taking the oral meds prescribed by his GP--but one must be careful as they can cause liver toxicity. Went away for about a year, but has subsequently returned.....
8.gif

cheers--Sharon

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again, ladies!

I was able to get in to the doctor''s office this morning and I now have a Rx for Lamisil. Gosh, I hope this works AND quickly! Of course, it is on my left hand, so it''s really messing up the aesthetics for my ring! Why couldn''t this have happend on my right hand.
emteeth.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
My doctor won''t let me take oral Lamisil. He said he''s seen too many 30somethings need liver replacements. He also won''t let me take Diflucan or any other oral anti-fungal either.

His feeling is you need your liver more.

I have a wicked toenail fungus. Its on 4 toes and is so disgusting. I went to a different doctor than mine to get the antifungals anyway and took sporanox for 3 months, then tried Diflucan, then tried Lamisil. NOTHING worked.

My dad has the same thing and his doctor won''t give him anti-fungals either.

I believe I got mine from getting pedicures at a salon.

I''ve tried tea tree oil, oil of oregano, listerine, vicks, caprilyic acid, etc. all the home remedies to no avail.

Finger funguses are supposed to be easier to treat, since your hands aren''t as moist as feet.

Good luck!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 6:09:10 PM
Author: divergrrl

I''ve tried tea tree oil, oil of oregano, listerine, vicks, caprilyic acid, etc. all the home remedies to no avail.

Finger funguses are supposed to be easier to treat, since your hands aren''t as moist as feet.

Good luck!
did you alter your diet at all? You''re suppose to cut out all sugar and reduce carbs when taking any antifungals. They won''t work unless your diet is drastically altered to avoid refined carbs.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had nail fungus on my pinky finger a few months ago. It didn''t spread to my other fingers.

Here is what my Dr. told me to do. As weird as it sounds It Worked, the fungus did not come back.

She told me to file the nail on top, until it was paper thin. The fungus can''t live that way. That way the air was hitting my nail and killed the virus. It worked for me.

Linda

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried 100% tea tree oil? I would also suggest soaking in vinegar. My mom''s nails got all infected from chemo and blood thinners and they told her to soak in vinegar. Best of luck.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Interesting about the refined carbs...my doctor didn''t say anything like that, but did tell me to go light on alcohol and caffeine while on Lamisil. I''m assuming this is because of the liver. I had just had all of my bloodwork done a month ago at my annual check-up and all my liver enzymes were fine, I guess that''s why he felt comfortable prescribing Lamisil tablets. I will be taking it for 6 weeks, which he said should be plenty of time to clear up a fingernail infection.

Linda, I will try filing down my nail today as well. It certainly couldn''t hurt. Thanks for the tip!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Giada, when I was on the Lamisil, I had to go in every month for a blood test to check my liver levels but like Diver said, toenail fungus takes longer to heal--I think I was on it for 3 months. I''m sure you''ll be ok but definitely go light on the booze!
2.gif
I also used tea tree oil topically so it can''t hurt to use that at the same time. It may help it heal faster...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The "filing", unfortunately, did not work for my DH--and doesn''t the fungus stay on the file? You would have to use disposable ones for every use.... Also my DH limited his ETOH intake during his 6 week course....just to be careful.......

cheers--Sharon

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again, ladies!

I''m not a big "drinker" anyhow, and my doctor seemed fine with my 1-2 glasses of wine per week.

I''m going to try the filing and tea tree oil in addition to help speed the process.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon,

Yes, I used the disposable files. My fungus wasn''t bad, just on my pinky finger on my right hand. I guess that is why it worked for me. It didn''t come back.

Linda

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Linda,

I hope that I have your good fortune with the filing helping as well! Mine is not that bad either (in my opinion). It starts about halfway up my nail bed and goes to the tip. It is not completely covering the nail. I cut the entire free edge off in hopes that that will help.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Giada,

That is the way my nail was too. My Dr. told me to file it "paper thin", so the air can get at it and kill the fungus. I hope it works for you too. She also told me, that is what they are telling their patients to do, that only have one fungus on a nail.

Linda

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 9:58:03 AM
Author: Giada
Interesting about the refined carbs...my doctor didn''t say anything like that, but did tell me to go light on alcohol and caffeine while on Lamisil. I''m assuming this is because of the liver. I had just had all of my bloodwork done a month ago at my annual check-up and all my liver enzymes were fine, I guess that''s why he felt comfortable prescribing Lamisil tablets. I will be taking it for 6 weeks, which he said should be plenty of time to clear up a fingernail infection.

Linda, I will try filing down my nail today as well. It certainly couldn''t hurt. Thanks for the tip!
Yep, no problem. The diet isn''t as big of an issue unless you have other yeasty issues (ugh - sorry that is so gross to type on the internet!).

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
I''m desperate so I''m kind of thread-jacking here. I''m sorry.

divergrrl,

I have the exact same problem.
39.gif
I''ve tried so many things. My dr. won''t prescribe anything (liver reasons) and I''ve tried all the home remedy stuff. Please let me know if you find anything that works!
I''ve had this fungus for over 2 years on my big toenail. It hasn''t spread and I try to cut it down as far as I can. I read about one guy who actually sand papered/sawed the nail off (but he took many, many precautions and didn''t recommend anyone such a high-risk solution).

It''s so frustrating. I can cover it with polish if I need to wear open-toed shoes but it still looks gross.
15.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, its is more likely for monkeys to fly out of my bootie than for me to be able to cut out sugar, refined carbs, etc. I tried that once & damn near killed someone. LOL. I eat everything in moderation & am healthy and at a healthy body weight, so I''m just not able to cut out my pastas, candy, ice cream treats. Granted, all my breads are all high fiber, sprouted grain, etc..my biggest sugar intake would be wine. I have a glass or two with dinner about 3 or 4 nights a week. yup...we''re drinkers.

I just can''t cut out sugar. I''m too evil. I don''t eat that much, but you''d be surprised HOW many things have sugar in them. (dairy, yogurt, etc...) crazy. And my beloved fruit! I eat 3 servings of fruit a day! I''d die without my fruits!

I''ll take my stupid toenail fungus instead. I am going to try spritzing white vinegar on it after every shower & then drying my toes with a hairdryer to make sure they are uber dry.

Otherwise, I''m going to my podiatrist (who has no qualms about prescribing Lamisil) and trying it one last time. And I will do my own toes from now on. No more salon pedicures. Dirty places. Yuk.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 3:18:16 PM
Author: divergrrl
I just can''t cut out sugar. I''m too evil. I don''t eat that much, but you''d be surprised HOW many things have sugar in them. (dairy, yogurt, etc...) crazy. And my beloved fruit! I eat 3 servings of fruit a day! I''d die without my fruits!
The wine will do it. Sugar is so difficult to cut out of a diet. I swear it''s an addiction worse than crack!!!

I decided to stop eating all refined products and have been cutting them out in groups. First was chocolate and it took a week and now I have no craving at all and can walk by the candy aisle w/out any temptation. lol! This last week, I''ve been working on crackers and chips and ended up binging one time. . . It''s a difficult process but hopefully I''ll see some healthy reward.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
You may also want to try soaking your hand in epson salt. This isn''t a quick fix..but it can help in the long run.

golden

Shiny_Rock
I would think you should see your doctor immediately.

They did a special recently on how FILTHY these nail salons are and how they don't sterelize properly, if at all. I have been doing my nails at home for the last few years now. I had a friend who got really sick with a bad infection from a nail salon.

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
I had the same thing on my big toe nail recently and I soaked it in hydrogen peroxide for about 15-30 minutes and then used tea tree oil. I was able to cut and lift a lot of the nail off b/c it was toward the tip so that helped too. Now, the nail that is growing in is fine and fungus free! Like you, I had never had a nail fungus before so I googled it and I found a lot of helpful tips.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 10:39:49 PM
Author: moremoremore
Have you tried 100% tea tree oil? I would also suggest soaking in vinegar. My mom''s nails got all infected from chemo and blood thinners and they told her to soak in vinegar. Best of luck.
Ditto what MMM said.
I developed it after I lifted a toenail up under a door! Ouch.
I soaked in vinegar off and on and also applied the tea tree oil.
I was finally able to cut most of the nail off, at that point I
became diligent about using the oil. It worked, but it took a long time.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
So, I saw a good girlfriend over the weekend (who happens to be a nurse in a dermatologist''s office) and she freaked out when she found out I was taking Lamisil without having my enzymes checked before being prescribed. I''m going in to see the doctor she works for today at lunch. She thinks the topical Rx will work on my nail because she said it is not that bad at all, so I may stop taking the Lamisil if the doctor agrees.

I did file the nail down thinly and completely trimmed off the free edge. I think this is helping more than anything because the yellowish color is almost completely gone!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Giada,

I am glad this is working for you. It sure helped me. Mine hasn''t come back. I hope it doesn''t either.
14.gif

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results