shape
carat
color
clarity

Any moms volunteer at your child(ren)''s school?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m wondering what kinds of activities you do at your kids'' school and how many days per week you''ve signed up for. I''ve already completed the background check
2.gif
lol and now signed up on two seperate forms (one for my younger son, one for the PTA) and still have one more to complete for my older son.

I have a tendency to go on binges where I go overboard on a certain activities and then burn out. Is three times per week at the school (once in each of my two boys'' classes, then one day selling treats at lunch) AND then doing party help AND then doing behind the scenes like copying, stapling, etc., per week too much? I *have* the time right now, but it seems with the amount of time dedication, it may make more sense to just get a job. We''re fine financially right now, but my husband keeps giving me weird looks about the whole thing.

I feel like the volunteering would be more full filling especially since I don''t know what to do job wise, but still, I guess I "should" be working now that both kids are in school.

Thoughts?

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
I volunteered a great deal when my daughter was in Kindergarten and in lower grades and have slowly tapered off.

Kindergarten -- volunteered to read with the children 1 on 1. It was nice to be in the classroom to see how things were going and it worked out fine because my DD didn''t get distracted seeing me there (that can be a problem for some children). Helped with parties and brought treats also -- nice job. Volunteered on Field Day -- nice to see the children but not my first choice.

1st to 2nd grade -- volunteered with parties and treats in classroom and mostly with teacher''s jobs in the workroom; volunteered in the Art classroom. I didn''t want to be in the classroom too much; after all, she needed to gain autonomy and was more than happy to be on her own. Helping with teacher''s work was needed and important for smooth running of classrooms and it gave me a sense of what was going on in classroom. Field Days, again. Helped judge History Fair, which I found very enjoyable. Chaperoned some field trips, when needed.

3rd to 4th grade -- Teacher''s workroom stuff again, for the same reason; stayed out of classroom mostly except for sending treats. Helped judge History Fair and Science Fairs -- enjoyable and interesting, though actually can be hard work; I really liked seeing the projects and interacting with the students I interviewed.

5th grade -- History and Science Fair judging; sent treats when needed but sent money instead for all other fund-raising activities. Helped with small projects as needed by teachers.

Now, sending treats for teacher''s appreciation and copy room duty.

If the teacher or school needs the help, by all means volunteer as much as you feel comfortable spending the time doing. Teachers appreciate help with the most tedious jobs, as does the librarian.

I do believe that some mothers (not directed at you, just an observation by me) hover around school too much so that they can be around their children and curry favor with the teachers. Mom cliques also form and I don''t have time for those. Volunteering is a great way to learn about the inner workings of the school, so that you can form your judgments about your child''s education but, ultimately, my goal was for my child to become independent. So, I go in, do the work and leave. I rarely bumped into my child after the 3rd grade although she always knows that I am interested and involved in her school.

That said, my husband also volunteered--with things like putting up decorations for the musicals and concerts, Science Fair and field trips. I felt that it''s equally important, if his time permitted, for him to be involved as well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I do agree about the hovering issue and that is definetly something I do not want to get into the habit of doing. My kids are young - kindergarten and second grade and this may be the only year I can stay home, SO that''s another reason I''ve signed up for a lot and they''re young enough to be "okay" with mom being arund. Seems like your schedual of tapering off to light help behind the scenes may work well for me if I start working PT.

Working in the teachers'' workroom concerns me a bit. Like you were saying about cliques. . .I''m mostly concerned about having to be a part of gossip as a result of being around teachers. Some of the work that was needed can be done at home so I can even involve my kids in it. They love to staple.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OK, first off, you ARE working while the kids are in school. You are taking care of them in a way that you probably couldn''t if you were gone. Even though they aren''t with you, you are probably doing things for them. And even if you are doing something for you, you are still taking time to give them a happier mommy.

I am totally like you and tend to be a volunteering freak. I''d be there every day if I didn''t think it was weird!
28.gif
I''m ALWAYS team mom, room mom, etc. This year I''m trying to take it a bit easier. With three kids in three schools and all their different activities I am trying not to spread myself too thin. Since DD started K I have been cooking some delicious things and doing more things that I know DH likes for me to do.

I volunteer in DD''s class once a week, during special events, and also with cutting and copying. There is a waiting list of parents who want to help out so I probably will not be doing too much else. In DS''s middle school I have listened to oral book reports and asked questions. They even have mom helpers at the high school level. I''m very excited about that as I really love helping and working with kids.

The one arena I won''t get involved with is PTA. Man, that is where the cats hang out at our school...You need claws to attend those meetings. My kids have been to another school and it was NOTHING like it is here.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My son entered HS this year and is the first time I did not sign up for every event/fundraiser/task at school! I am planning on reentering the workforce and did not know how much time I would have for other things, so we''ll see. My son actually liked me at school and was very surpirsed when I did not fill out the volunteer form this year. IN past, I did so many different tasks/jobs that many times I never saw him at school anyway--so I didn''t "embarrass" him
9.gif
. I met wonderful people at school and got to know the teachers a little better. Win win.

cheers--Sharon

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I was in the classroom helping for first and second grade, but they don''t really need parents in third or fourth.
I kind of miss it. Now my kids go to school, and have stuff after school. I miss them!
I say get it while you can!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 8:05:42 PM
Author: iluvcarats
Thanks, gals. I'm also thinking "get it while you can," especially if this is the only year I stay home.

We had the curriculum event for both kids last night and I am a bit confused now about the volunteering routine, though, as one teacher had me fill out an exact form stating which days I'd be in and the times. She allowed for details like that OR said we could pop in. I'm a huge fan of having scheduals laid out and said I'd be in on one day per week and am planning to sign up for another. . . I'm kind of confused with the other teacher as she had a sign up sheet w/out times or any details and I'd really love to have a specific day of the week to be there. My 2nd grader would love that.

I guess I'll talk to or email her today since she seemed so overwhelmed yesterday. One thing I never realized is that many of the teachers get VERY nervous while talking to the parents on curriculum night! Seems they're use to talking to little people all day long and suddenly, they have 30+ adults with extreme demands bearing their eyes down on the sweet teachers.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 7:55:22 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

My son entered HS this year and is the first time I did not sign up for every event/fundraiser/task at school! I am planning on reentering the workforce and did not know how much time I would have for other things, so we''ll see. My son actually liked me at school and was very surpirsed when I did not fill out the volunteer form this year. IN past, I did so many different tasks/jobs that many times I never saw him at school anyway--so I didn''t ''embarrass'' him
9.gif
. I met wonderful people at school and got to know the teachers a little better. Win win.

cheers--Sharon
Sharon,

How long have you been out of the workforce and what sorts of professions are you considering working in?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Did I read that right that you need a backround check to volunteer at your children''s school? Makes sense I guess, but wow I never heard of that.

I volunteer once a week for an hour in the library computer lab at the elementary school. Plus I love to go on fieldtrips as chaperone help. Fieildtrips are so much fun :) I love riding on the bus with my child and seeing how excited the kids get. I also voluteer in the classrooms of my kids on an as needed basis :)

For Jr. High, I tend to get involved a bit less than I would like and need to look into it more.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 5:26:40 PM
Author: asscherisme
Did I read that right that you need a backround check to volunteer at your children''s school? Makes sense I guess, but wow I never heard of that.
Yep, in my kids'' district, a parent must pass a background check before being able to participate in any school activities. That may seem a bit extreme, but I''m glad that procedure has been implemented so I know my kids are safe.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 9:40:14 AM
Author: MC

Date: 9/25/2008 8:05:42 PM
Author: iluvcarats
Thanks, gals. I''m also thinking ''get it while you can,'' especially if this is the only year I stay home.

We had the curriculum event for both kids last night and I am a bit confused now about the volunteering routine, though, as one teacher had me fill out an exact form stating which days I''d be in and the times. She allowed for details like that OR said we could pop in. I''m a huge fan of having scheduals laid out and said I''d be in on one day per week and am planning to sign up for another. . . I''m kind of confused with the other teacher as she had a sign up sheet w/out times or any details and I''d really love to have a specific day of the week to be there. My 2nd grader would love that.

I guess I''ll talk to or email her today since she seemed so overwhelmed yesterday. One thing I never realized is that many of the teachers get VERY nervous while talking to the parents on curriculum night! Seems they''re use to talking to little people all day long and suddenly, they have 30+ adults with extreme demands bearing their eyes down on the sweet teachers.
This made me giggle. Your''re right MC! I teach second grade at a very small school in a very small town. Parents at our school are wonderful, and they are very involved -- but sometimes too much, to be honest. We used to have the kind of open house that was meant for parents only. They''d come to our classrooms, sit at their child''s desk, fold their hands, and wait for the teacher to give a presentation. We''d go over curriculum, etc., and then parents would have the chance to ask questions. It made me nervous the first year or two I was at my school, because it felt like parents were grilling me. It bothered the other teachers that it wasn''t a night about the children, as I think open house should be. We finally changed it, and our new open house was a couple weeks ago. It was great to finally see the kids show their parents their rooms, their desks, and then take them on a tour of their school and visit other rooms. We still had to remind parents that it wasn''t appropriate to have a conference right then and there, as so many parents want, but overall, the night went really well.

Give me a class of 7 and 8 year olds and I can talk all day -- no problem. Give me a class of parents with extreme demands as you put it, and my head spins with nervousness.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results