shape
carat
color
clarity

Any lawyers here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry -- no litigation planned.
emotion-15.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not a lawyer but it sounds kind fun! What type are you? I have a few friends who are attorney''s. My friend helps with employee grievances and another friend who is a patent attorney. You must be pretty persuasive and love research!!!!

Good for you
35.gif

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
I''m an attorney. Mostly tax law though so not very exciting - but it pays the bills

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy!
I''m a tax attorney and love it (but loathed law school). I don''t know about being persuasive, but I do enjoy research. What do you do, if I may ask?

Emeraldfan,
Are we doing 2 different kinds of tax law?
1.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m not, but, I grew up in a law office. My mom is a paralegal and took me to work with her frequently. Growing up I really really really wanted to be a judge. My third grade class even got to use a court room for a trial. I was desperate to be the judge and convinced my teacher that I was the one who could do the job the best. Ah well, I guess I''ll practice law in another life. Right now I have 3 kids to take care of and I''d rather be doing that than anything else in the world. I think I''d be a trial lawyer. My mom is working in estate planning right now and it is so depressing to me...Families fighting over money, old people dying...She did family law when I was a child. Talk about depressing.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I am an auditor!!! I did individual taxes for 2 years. Wow, so you know a lot about tax! Tax is fun; then for sure you do do a lot of research.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do commercial litigation and real estate. Sux. LOL

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I am lawyer too. Harriet...I am with you, I hated law school also! The hate set in about the 2nd year when I realized that I wouldn''t be able to change the world being a lawyer. I don''t know everyone else''s motivations for going to law school, but I always dreamed of arguing cases like Brown vs. Board of Education. However, somewhere along the way I realized those are once in a lifetime deals. Even when I did Public Interest work, I found myself turning people away rather than being able to help them. I work for the fed''l gov''t now. It''s fulfilling in the sense that you can help the little man as well as giant corporations. But I am still exploring my future career choices....

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Harriet - I mostly do SALT with emphasis in state tax on M&A transactions and also some tax litigation for large tech companies as well. I do so much research and writing I sometimes think I should have been a structured finance attorney (I did this as a paralegal before law school) so I could avoid all the writing :)

What about you?

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Not me, but DH is. He''s an eighth year and does M&A at one of the big firms in Midtown.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I do estate planning and general business law.

Used to do workers comp. Yuck!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 9:17:47 AM
Author: moremoremore
Yes, I do commercial litigation and real estate. Sux. LOL
Why does it suck?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 12:23:41 PM
Author: Emeraldfan
Harriet - I mostly do SALT with emphasis in state tax on M&A transactions and also some tax litigation for large tech companies as well. I do so much research and writing I sometimes think I should have been a structured finance attorney (I did this as a paralegal before law school) so I could avoid all the writing :)

What about you?
No SALT, no litiation. Just corporate, partnership, etc.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 12:57:37 PM
Author: ursulawrite
Not me, but DH is. He''s an eighth year and does M&A at one of the big firms in Midtown.
Maybe we''re colleagues!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 1:11:20 PM
Author: codex57

Workers comp does sound yucky.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 1:10:04 PM
Author: Harriet
Date: 3/16/2007 1:11:20 PM

Author: codex57

Workers comp does sound yucky.

In CA (and I imagine in every other state), the whole system is screwed up. Abuse is rife everywhere. So many workers cheat, so many employers cheat, so many insurance companies cheat. I''ve had an insurance company say, in writing, that they didn''t want to pay for something they freely admit they are liable before because they didn''t feel like it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
At least lawyers don''t cheat.
17.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Criminal defense for me but also not feeling satisfied and looking into other career options. It sure is hard to go elsewhere once you become so specialized. And all that debt!!! Wow, I feel guilty just thinking about leaving law.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
litigation for me.... insurance coverage litigation, commercial litigation, construction injury defense litigation... its fun, and I enjoyed law school. I couldn''t imagine doing anything else for a career. My fiancee is also an attorney. She does M&A and securities work.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 9:04:13 PM
Author: dixie94
Criminal defense for me but also not feeling satisfied and looking into other career options. It sure is hard to go elsewhere once you become so specialized. And all that debt!!! Wow, I feel guilty just thinking about leaving law.
Dixie I think we are in the same place. The other thing for me is that I can work from home.

For those that are in litigation: do you love/like it??? For me it just seemed like so much preparation for the big case, and once the case is finished you are on the treadmill again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results