shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Guinea Pig Owners Out There?

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I love these furry little guys, they're so adorable, cuddly, and easy to take care of compared to other pets, so do any of you PSers have guinea pigs? Please post pictures if you do! ::)

Here's our little guy, Snickers!

SAM_0080.JPG

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Yes, we have a guinea pig:) They are sweet little creatures:) Ours squeaks when we come down the stairs:)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
We now have one (a second one recently passed away), and she squeeks whenever wrappers are being moved, with her expecting food may be coming.

Ira Z.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but my SO claims he feels like one with my cooking.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1314493651|3002606 said:
No, but my SO claims he feels like one with my cooking.

:lol:

Snickers has a tendency to squeak and come out of his igloo whenever someone walks by his cage, or when he hears the fridge opening. I suspect this is due to my mother spoiling him rotten with carrots and other guinea pig goodies!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is so cute! Our friends have two and they like to be held. They seem so loveable but we have two cats and I
worry that they would want to make dinner out of it if we got one :errrr: .

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1314494946|3002849 said:
He is so cute! Our friends have two and they like to be held. They seem so loveable but we have two cats and I
worry that they would want to make dinner out of it if we got one :errrr: .

Thank you! Guinea pigs are such great company, they're similar to kitties, sans the claws! Speaking of making dinner out of one, here's a fun fact: In Peru, guinea pigs are often deep fried or made with sauce and eaten! :blackeye:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I thinnk they are the sweetest animals but everytime I look at one it reminds me of my days working as a waiter in a resteraunt owned by Ecuadorians.....they would cook them for lunch. They call it Cuy. They would get one at a pet store (I think) and then skin it in front of me. Scarred me for life! :errrr: :nono: ;( :(sad

ETA, they ate the Cuy themselves---it was not on the menu though--lol

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I had one during my elementary school years growing up. Squabbles. I loved him soooooooo much, and we would 'talk' to each other. I miss his cute little squeaks :halo:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh so cute! When I was younger (in my preteen to teen years) I had a total of 3 guinea pigs. Loved them! They were so cute. I loved the squeeking noise they made when they wanted attention.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are guinea pigs the ones that eat their offspring? Or is that hamsters - or gerbils?

My DH has a horror story about a pair of birthday critters that were impossible to pet or play with. Apparently he got a male and a female, and one day there were lots of babies in the cage.. and the next day there weren't :errrr:

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
lbbaber|1314496568|3003040 said:
I thinnk they are the sweetest animals but everytime I look at one it reminds me of my days working as a waiter in a resteraunt owned by Ecuadorians.....they would cook them for lunch. They call it Cuy. They would get one at a pet store (I think) and then skin it in front of me. Scarred me for life! :errrr: :nono: ;( :(sad

Oh man. My mom had a friend who went to pet stores like PetSmart, Petco, or even shelters sometimes and adopted them and then took them home just to eat them! :nono:

Yssie - I'm pretty sure that's not guinea pigs...Don't know what that is...but we've had several friends with baby guineas and nothing's happened to them whilst with mom and dad! Very curious though!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Uh-oh....I have a tiny herd at my place! All rescues. I also foster for the local rescues, so I end up with a house full of critters sometimes.

I have three female pigs, and am getting a fourth in a few weeks! This is Minnie:

Lucy:

Penelope:

and I currently have three foster boys who are waiting to be adopted:

Don't worry, the males and females are separated! We don't need more homeless critters.

100_1164.JPG

100_1604.JPG

286675_10150282627202383_256464942382_7450645_4619376_o.jpg

279986_10150265792052383_256464942382_7287519_3746328_o.jpg

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
blacksand|1314499933|3003183 said:
Uh-oh....I have a tiny herd at my place! All rescues. I also foster for the local rescues, so I end up with a house full of critters sometimes.

I have three female pigs, and am getting a fourth in a few weeks! This is Minnie:

Lucy:

Penelope:

Don't worry, the males and females are separated! We don't need more homeless critters.

:lol: You have quite the family to keep up with already! I've never seen one like Penelope before, only short haired piggies! I'd love to adopt that charmer in the middle however!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blacksand|1314499933|3003183 said:

Lucy:

Penelope:

Well - eating or not, blacksand your little guys (and gals) are adorable!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
too stinkin' cute! :love:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guinea pigs are cute.

Yssie|1314499059|3003166 said:
Are guinea pigs the ones that eat their offspring? Or is that hamsters - or gerbils?

My sister and I had a pair of gerbils while growing up. We came home one day to find that one of them ate the other. Yuck.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
mary poppins|1314534153|3003384 said:
Guinea pigs are cute.

Yssie|1314499059|3003166 said:

My sister and I had a pair of gerbils while growing up. We came home one day to find that one of them ate the other. Yuck.

:-o :errrr:

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love guinea pigs! We had them growing up as kids. They are such great pets. I'd love to get one now.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have 5 of them! For my daughter's birthday, I rescued 2 females but we didn't know that the older one was pregnant (it was a mother/daughter pair). I suspected it after a few weeks, and lo and behold one day I went to clean the cage and there were 3 little furballs running around like little gremlins!

As luck would have it, the babies were all girls, so by the time they were big enough to give away, we had grown so attached that we kept them all. So we have 5 cute girls :)

I built them a C&C cage and we keep them on fleece, but we need to make the cage bigger now. I'll post pics if I can find them.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
ericad, I love them and I love your cage! I also have a 2x5 C&C for my three girls, but I'm adding a fourth in a few weeks and will be expanding to at least a 2x6 to give them the space they need. Love the upper level on yours. I tried that once, but my girls weren't too keen on using the ramp, and cleaning was a pain in the behind, so I went back to a one-level lifestyle.

Oh, I want to snuggle those babies! How big are they now?

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
I had one that looked a lot like yours, except he didn't have the white spot. Sadly, he died about two years ago. His name was Chestnut, he was so cute!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG ericad, they are so cute!!! I love them! I miss my guinea pigs and wish I could get more but my cats might not like that idea. Thanks for sharing the photos of them!! Love their setup too :))

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are still smaller than mama and their big sister, but nearly grown. They're about 3 months old now, I think? They are really cute. The white one has a brown butt, lol, and the black one has a few brown spots and one white foot - she reminds me of a little Rottie.

Our cage needs to get bigger, but we have tons of squares and zip ties left over, just need to take the time to expand. I'm thinking of increasing the length by 1 square and maybe making the upstairs a bit bigger? I haven't quite worked out the floorplan yet, lol.

We're a bit nuts with the pets, lol. We have the 5 piggies, 2 dogs, 3 cats, a big 120 gallon fish tank (an oscar, a blood parrot, an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey) and next summer we're thinking of adding two dairy goats and some chickens :bigsmile:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
The babies are so cute! They almost look like toys they are so little!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lbbaber|1314496568|3003040 said:

Oh you guys...I could have lived without knowing that :knockout: . Poor little guys. They are just too cute to fry and eat!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results