shape
carat
color
clarity

any gardeners here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if anyone knows how to deal with whiteflies infestation.I have them outside so far ( and prefer to keep them there if I must) there is so many that it looks like its snowing when I walk outside.They linger around compost bin, plants, trying to move inside the house...Need help.I'' am using sticky tape and it works but I have so many.Trying to stay organic the brids are helping out also , but so far we are loosing the battle.Thanks

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
I''m in San Jose and battled these for 2 years. Last year, ripped out the 2 hibiscus shrubs they loved. I''m hoping that will help. I too won''t spray for them, and I''ve heard that there are traps. I will get traps if they return and attack another shrub.

I know they have preferences, and I didn''t have them until I planted the second hibiscus!

Good luck.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I do use the sticky tape and it does work, but I have far too many to control.I have had white flies before but never that many.The tapes you can make yourself , need yellow paper like a file folder or so and just spray tangle food on it and they stick to it instantly.If the problem is not too big it would work fine.The plant I removed but they moved to another one and also hang out around my compost bin its warm there...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Scarleta. There are organic sprays and "insecticidal soaps" that you can use. Some names are "Garden Safe" and "Organica K+ Neem". For sure, the latter one is good for herbs, veggies, and other consumables.

You can also, in addition, get a solution that you pour around the base of your plants, such as "Bayer Advanced". The product gets absorbed into the plant and makes it resistant to insects.

A good lawn and garden store should have these products. Good luck!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks I will try it.Hmm where do I start ?? Just went out with the vacum and got some of them , some are crawling out of the vacum...Its an outdoor vacum and I have to wait before I open it because I can just transfer them to my garage...What a tough enemy it is..Its going to take quite some time I noticed they are everywhere even trying to get in the spots between the fence.Maybe a miracle wasp will arrive and eat them... Any more ideas ?? PLease , please..thanks

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Scarleta, it sounds like you are beside yourself! You poor thing! I would be flipping out too!

I suppose if you want to control them quickly, you could call Scotts Lawn Service and see if they have a pest control program. Maybe you can go the organic route, once the flies are under control.

I''m not sure if the flies respond to bug zappers....

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
scarleta, i am creeped out for you! i don't have those here to deal with and have no remedy but why don't you go to the hgtv site and check out gardening by the yard with paul james and see if he or any of the other gardening shows archieved have advise. i am with you on chemicals but if i was too upset with the problem i would check out what might be ok to use. good luck i hope you get relief.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys nice to have some support and understanding here.Belive me I did lots of research on this topic and what I do know is that they are very hard to get rid of and I may be looking long term here.If the wasps move to eat them(Encarsia fermosa or delphastus pusillus ) that would be great.Unfortunately the wasps and lady bugs need warmer weather.The whitflies are high on the cherry tree now and spraying would not be easy besides I have organic garden.I sprayed with water today( blasted them ) and it really was like heavy snowing.They are all over the yard now.I hope they won''t move into the house.I hope the birds will help out before others move in to discover them.Thanks you guys at least you are on "my side"
Will keep you posted and maybe just maye someone else had similar problem and was able to deal with it somehow?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Scarleta, I had those little whiteflies all over my sage and my mint. The Organica K+ Neem did a marvelous job, it''s totally organic, it''s easy to use, and it''s not toxic to humans. I think that if you used it, your garden would still qualify as organic. Other than that, I know you can buy ladybugs. Good luck.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for that.Will try it.My infestation is so huge really an old cherry tree quite tall is full of them.They are basically everywhere I go even between the fence.What I hope for is that someone else will move in to eat them .Its still a bit cool , so when it warms up my outdoor restaurant will be open 24/7. For smaller areas I can use the spray you recommended.I need an army of lady bugs or wasps to take care of this.I stopped feeding the birds for a day or so to see if they eat more of them.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
scarleta, did you use one of those plastic bottles that attach to your hose and use dawn dishwashing liquid when you blasted them. i have used soap as an insecticide and it can work. anyway, i hope that you have some good luck with the riddance of the pests.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I just used plain water and some of them got knocked out , some I vacummed inside the vacum.The cherry tree where they are is quite tall so I could not reach it.I could try lower areas with soap water.I do have a bottle and you can say how much soap to put ( for dilution of fertilizer ) I could put some dish soap I suppose.Do you know how much soap.I have a composting bin ( all totally organic inside) and they fly around it so I could spray it ...Thanks its good to know it should help a bit...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Scarleta...

Maisie posted an issue (In family and home under: "I am really annoyed with myself!") and Mara came up with a viable solution. The link Maisie found had this excerpt and I thought of your plight.

Trees: Sprinkle liberally on the ground and around tree trunks. Tree trunks can also be painted with a mixture of Diatomaceous Earth, water, flax soap or a wetting agent. This will inhibit migration of various fruit flies (maggot stage), worms and the Japanese Beetle (grub stage). When a spray is desired, refer to spray rates

here is the link:
http://www.hydromall.com/happy_grower16.html

Oh, any relief to your issue yet? If not, give this a try. It is cheap, you can find it at your local pool supply...there may be other places...this is all I know.

DKS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results