shape
carat
color
clarity

Any game of thrones fans here?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one who’s never watched GOT?

No there are plenty of people who have not watched this series. It took me time to get on the GOT bandwagon and was a few years late in watching. It's never too late @Austina. But there is some violence so if you don't care for that (I don't like it) make sure you have your DH help you remain vigilant to avoid watching those scenes. LOL I cover my eyes. Yup. It helps. :wink2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Winter is here :errrr:

We started watching season 1 episode 1 last night and Joffrey trotted up and we all let out an audible “Uugh” and we were like “o f-ing Joffrey” :roll2:

Although we love saying, “this pie is dry” any chance we can work it into a conversation :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone new to the series needs to know the backstory and how the books progressed.

The entire series is called A Song of Ice and Fire and that this is a world with some magical/mystical elements and has unpredictable seasons and sometimes very long dark winters (can last a decade or more).

There is a mystical “wall” at the northern border, and it protects against the free folk of people who are called “wildings”. The wall is manned by criminals and volunteers who cannot ever leave the wall. They are called the Night’s Watch and they take an oath when they decide to stay and join. There are also fairy type children, etc, that are believed to be extinct, etc. Mystical things are north of the wall.

The series mostly follows the books, but not always.

Book 1 is A Game of Thrones: after a ursurping of the crown, there has been numerous years (like a decade) of peace and prosperity. The long summer has just turned to fall, winter is coming, but they don’t know when. Everyone is happy, life is good, prostitution is “legal”... so there is a lot of drinking, making love, making babies etc. Relative calm and peace.

Book 2 is A Clash of Kings: The King has died and while he has two minor age sons, he also has two adult brothers and everyone wants the crown. Throw in that the North used to have its own king, the Northerners also want a king back. So this is where unrest begins and things start to get uncertain and weird for the people.

Book 3 is A Storm of Swords: this is a real mess and now there are all these self declared kings and wars. Everyone is poor now and unhappy and they don’t know who to trust or what is going to happen to them. The elites all have alliances and plans.

Book 4 is A Feast for Crows: the crows eat all the dead bodies (just a lot of imagery of the dead and crows picking at them). The War of the 5 Kings is coming to and end, the land is destroyed and desolate, many people have died (many brutal deaths). Strange things are happening beyond the wall and with the Night’s Guard.

Book 5 actually runs concurrent with book 4 (I wish I had known that when I started reading it because it was truly confusing lol). Book 5 is called A Dance with Dragons. Now we are on two continents and the original ruling family that was usurped before book 1 is trying to come back to power. There are definitely bad, spooky, supernatural and very threatening things happening north of the wall and is advancing to the wall.

Book 6: (not yet published) is The Winds of Winter. Winter is here, and along with the long night comes terrible monsters from north of the wall.

Book 7: (not yet published) is called A Dream of Spring and I guess with be the aftermath.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In rewatching the series I’m reminded of how good it was when the show was following the intricacies of the books. The scheming, the political intrigue. The smart, smart writing (like the books). I had forgotten how good it was. It also makes me realize what a mess seasons 6 & 7 became when they ran out of source material. I so hope season 8 can pull it back together!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't read or watch it because I heard that the level of violence was extreme, and I really dislike that. I have a real sense of humor failure about it. I find nothing remotely entertaining about violence. :snooty:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty violent. In the books it’s just a function of the time period it was based off of (GRR said he based it on the War of the Roses, which was a pretty grim point in western history). People are pretty primitive in their world view - especially as things get bad due to the civil war that is going on through most of the books. It also doesn’t gloss over what happens to the common people during times of war, or the risks associated with treason. It’s also pretty up front about what absolute power looks like in terms of monarchy in medieval periods.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also doesn’t gloss over what it really is like when people fight with swords. It’s also pretty grim at points because of this. It’s a lot more realistic than most fantasy books.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I'm assuming there are rapes. I cannot watch rape scenes. Just can't. That's always been a bugbear of mine when it comes to cinema. Why on earth would I want to watch a rape? I'd pay money not to watch it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least one rape (implied, not shown) . I can’t remember offhand if there were others.
—————————————

Meanwhile, I’ve been watching the marathon and if Breanne and Tormund don’t get together, I don’t know what I’d do.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that went by FAST.

Whew.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone else noticed how the music is somewhat “less” (end credits) fortelling the decline......
My money is on Jon Snow making the ultimate sacrifice, along with his dragon and Bran taking out himself after warging into Viserion.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you watch the opening sequence and notice the wall had a giant hole in the middle? They also focused on something... I have to go back and look... looked like a dead direwolf? And a lion? In the opening credits.... sometimes hints are in there.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I only noticed the wall but not the other parts. Will have to re-watch it!

I’m waiting for my son to wake up and then we will rewatch it too.

I’m wondering if the dead’s spirals have something to do with astronomy or something, but the only thing that has been mentioned before is the blood red comet.

I know the children of the forest made the dead with dragonglass, but the spirals and the signals intrigue me.

My son gave me a book years ago that delves into all the back stories, so I also want to re read more about the children of the forest and the first men.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked it! There were a TON of similarities to the very first episode. Almost like updating the first ep 10 years (or however long) later.
I watched a 5m recap of each season right before which was a good reminder. I'd forgotten a lot that had happened. Shame on them for keeping us waiting so long between seasons!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked it! There were a TON of similarities to the very first episode. Almost like updating the first ep 10 years (or however long) later.
I watched a 5m recap of each season right before which was a good reminder. I'd forgotten a lot that had happened. Shame on them for keeping us waiting so long between seasons!

And now we have to wait another week!!!:doh:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, love this show!!!!
I just vaguely remember something about the children of the forest being mentioned. How did they make the dead???
My hubby and I sat that last night, figuring out how Jon and Daynearus were related now, lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, love this show!!!!
I just vaguely remember something about the children of the forest being mentioned. How did they make the dead???
My hubby and I sat that last night, figuring out how Jon and Daynearus were related now, lol

They took a man, tied him up to a godswood tree and put a piece of dragon glass through his heart. IIRC they created the night’s king to save them from the first men? Like I said, some of this is in the books, the show does show this scene in one of Bran’s visions, and some of it is in external novellas GRRM wrote to accompany the series of books.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, love this show!!!!
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a27087116/game-of-thrones-children-of-the-forest/

eta - this one is interesting too, about the symbol
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a27147997/game-of-thrones-white-walkers-spiral-symbol/

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you watch the opening sequence and notice the wall had a giant hole in the middle? They also focused on something... I have to go back and look... looked like a dead direwolf? And a lion? In the opening credits.... sometimes hints are in there.

I’d have to rewatch the opening credits. The hole in the wall I caught! I did learn a few seasons ago that whatever locations are featured in the opening credits are the locations in that episode.

On another note I read about 250-300 pages into the first book & had to put it down. I could not stand his writing style! It felt like it was high school level & so repetitive in his descriptions! I felt the show featured better writing & the over all production value was better to me so the book collects dust now..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results