shape
carat
color
clarity

Any fountain pen affectionados here?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a mild fountain pen addiction and just ordered my 5th Kaweco. They are fantastic, as good as any high-end pen and so inexpensive that I can get one for each color of ink.
What is your favorite brand?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, I am running late right now (see NIRDI post exciting plans for today) but just wanted to say when Greg and I were dating he was a big fountain pen collector and user and I used to get him antique fountain pens and the such for gifts. That was in the 90s so I don't remember the name brands now but will ask him later and see if he can provide details. Looking forward to seeing what others have to share.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a collector. I have a collection. ;)) Rheumatoid arthritis pretty much ended it all. I found that cleaning the pens became very painful. :blackeye: My focus was Pelikan, Namiki, and others, mostly piston fillers. I do have a custom made Nakaya as well. I have tons of ink stored away. Some is collector like Penman Emerald. I feel like if I sold my collection I could probably buy some bling.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved my Pelican but don't have it anymore since I migrated to the US.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not consider myself an affectionado, however, I had Sheaffer Targa, brush SS with gold nip when I started secondary school, and it stayed with me for years until it was lost/stolen in 1992.

I replaced it with another Sheaffer Targa, this time, black lacquer with gold finish and solid gold nib. I still have this pen, as I gave it to my late partner, and managed to retrieve it after he died.

When I was in my "power dressing" phase in the late 90's, I purchased a special edition Sheaffer Legacy pen from Classic Pens, with engraved Sterling Silver casing, gold finish and solid gold nib. It is a chunky PFM (pen for men). It still comes out with my Parker Duofold Platinum ball point pen at important meetings.

Before I bought the Sheaffer Targa, I had a Pelican briefly. Dropped it and smashed the case, and that was the end of it.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1459616692|4014629 said:
I loved my Pelican but don't have it anymore since I migrated to the US.

Sorry Chrono. :(sad
Here in America we just don't allow people to have pet pelicans.

screen_shot_2016-04-02_at_0.png

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Brilliant Kenny! Love it.

I've always liked fountain pens, even at school! A few years ago I inherited a Pelikan, lovely lacquered green patterned one, I've only used it a few times and never out of the house. If we still wrote letters to friends and family I'd use it more often, that's maybe another topic for discussion!

I have a lovely Cross Townsend with solid gold 'appointments' that was a big birthday gift and that's my favourite, later I bought a matching ballpoint to go with it.
Also have a couple of other nice to hold pens, mostly Cross, I love them even though they're not in the 'big league'.

On a flight years ago I filled out the immigration form onboard with my Cross Townsend, a lady across the aisle asked if we had a pen so I passed it to her and she took hold of it, stopped and weighed it in her hand while looking at it intently, after she'd used it she said it was 'gorgeous' and that as she'd only ever used 'biro's' before she hadnt realised how nice a good pen was and now she was going to buy herself one!

Thinking about it, I'm not surprised jewellery appreciators love pens also :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't use cheap ballpoint pens, sorry, except for one in red ink, and it is not that cheap cheap as I like some weight in a pen.

Current regular BP pen is a Parker Jotter in SS. It replaced a much-loved Parker, SS with gold finishing that I had for over 20 years when the click mechanism finally fell apart.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I love Montblanc pens. This one is my dream: the Emperor Joseph

img_11312.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Please post pictures folks!! :wavey:

cheers--Sgaron

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, writing with fountain pens looks so elegant. Marty has a Mount Blanc and Waterman. He really enjoys them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still top and tail important letters with a fountain pen.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1459659855|4014818 said:
Jimmianne, writing with fountain pens looks so elegant. Marty has a Mount Blanc and Waterman. He really enjoys them.

Marcy, Greg had one of each of these too. He doesn't know where all his fountain pens are now though he suspects they are packed away on the third floor of the beach house. He used to write with them all the time. He also had a Namiki. And lots of ink but he prefers cartridges for ease of use.

Lyra, I am sorry about your RA and that you don't get to enjoy your fountain pen collection anymore...maybe selling them and getting bling you can wear and enjoy is a good idea to consider.

Sharon, I'm sorry we have no photos right now since it is all packed away somewhere but if we ever decide to look for them I will take lots of photos I promise.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a glamour pic of my CP4 Richmond on the right:

cp4_02.jpg

Close up of the engraving:

cp4_10.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1459687034|4014858 said: