shape
carat
color
clarity

Any C#.net web application developers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
If so I have a question!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend is a web app developer, what''s the question?

I can relay it to him and see if he can help. I don''t know what language he uses, though.
1.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Ditto that..what''s the question? I''ll ask FI.
1.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a c# asp.net developer. Can''t say I''ll know the answer to your question, but I can try.
35.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock

OK - here''s a summary. I can get into specifics if someone thinks they can help.

We are redesigning a thick client to a thin client. My portion is an export. It''s a set of text files. Creating those is easy as we are creating DB views that actually put all the data together and do all the heavy lifting in terms of logic. So I will just roll through the views and spit out the data.

The problem lies in that this process currently takes between 2-3 hours! Now with putting the logic in views we will cut that significantly we hope. But the desire is to have this process run asynchronous to the web app. So the user will kick it off and can close the browser and retrieve it later. That''s where I''m stuck. Do I create a Web Service that creates the export and is called asynchronously from the web app? I''ve researched online, but my weakness is applying examples to my situation. Plus most of the examples call the web service via a thick client. The irony here is that at my old job we did this exact thing, but I didn''t design it and can''t remember how and I don''t have the code!

Advice?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
unless you have a 100tb size dataset 2-3 hours is wacked.
Something is wrong either in your sql or you db.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as how to do it you have a service that does it then sends an email that it is done and the user retrieves the files from a specific location.
But if this is taking 2-3 hours don''t expect any kind of performance out of the db during that time.
Like I said something is wrong with your db or sql that is wacked.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like problems with the Sql statement.

My FF said you can post your SQL statement and he can look at it.

OR, google "Explain Plan MSSQL" Read about it, and that can help you figure out whats going on.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh! No - the 2-3 hours is not my problem. That is the current implementation and I have nothing to do with that. Forget that I said that. Our DBA is writing the SQL for the thin client solution. I''m not worried about performance. However - this export is HUGE! And it will take a while to export no matter what. This is not a trivial export. But that''s a moot point. What I need help with is HOW to create the service or process. And how to call it from the web app. I''m talking instructions here. . .

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Storm that a web service or windows script could probably do that. I think the web service might be the best bet.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah. My goal is a web service. However, I''ve never written one. So don''t even know how to create one in .Net. Can it be in the same solution as the "web app". This is just a proof of concept. So I have a webpage with a button to create the file. I want that to kick off the service. Hmph. I know that at my old job our solution contained all projects. I would give an arm and a leg for that code right now. I''m really out of my element. Uncomfortably so. I panic and stress in situations like this.
7.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
try a programing specific forum.
I don''t know how much help you will get as your asking for $10k worth of work for free.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 12:11:46 PM
Author: strmrdr
try a programing specific forum.
I don''t know how much help you will get as your asking for $10k worth of work for free.
OUCH! I''m not asking for that much. I''m asking for instructions on creating a service. I''ve looked online and can''t see to find what I "think" I''m looking for. Ther has to be base instructions for creating a service. The heavy duty work inside I can write. I thought it was worth a shot on here to see what people might know. Thanks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you need it a certain time of day, week or month just write it as a program or script and use the windows scheduler to launch it.
It puts the final files in the right place and sends an email...

Don''t ever think it if you don''t have to.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Looks like I''m too late! Glad you got some answers though!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results