shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Aussie that can help?

Jodie

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

It's been a long, long time since I've been in here but wondering if any Australian PS'ers can help me out with how I can ship my ring back to Leon Mege in New York for a repair (two diamonds missing from the shank).

I just rang Fedex and they said that they only provide insurance up to A$1000 and anything else would need to be covered by my own insurance policy.

I've never had my ring covered by an insurance policy and my own home & contents insurance provider was a bit hopeless when I was asking about getting it covered. Its been on my to-do list for ages to switch our H&C insurance as I know we're paying too much but would love to know what company people use for their jewellery and has anyone had an issue regarding sending their jewellery overseas to be repaired and how they handle the insurance aspect?

I'd so appreciate any advice!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have heard a lot of people (not specifically australians) say they are shipping using Brinks.

I am actually very interested to hear the other answers though. I am also curious how the gst in australia works, as I know it default applies to all incoming goods and I am curious as to how it is calculated and applied (i.e. is it just on the insured amount of the package or is the system hopefully a little more clever. Who pays it too?)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can LM not help, maybe somehow ship it under his insurance?

Jodie

Rough_Rock
They were so unhelpful!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call me crazy but I have never insured my jewellery and I buy from the US all the time. Most expensive piece was about $15,000. That said, any parcel I send or receive is sent by registered, signed for mail. That means it is tracked all the way and a signature is required at the other end.
You can get up to $5,000 insurance coverage with Australia Post.
All that said, while I understand why you might want to send it back to Leon for repair under warranty you might consider avoiding the stress, cost and hassle and pay for a quality local jeweller to do the repair work for you here. The other hassle I once experienced was I got “re hit” with Customs when it came back to me. Customs likes to charge first and answer questions much later! And yes, I got the money back after filling in 6 forms and waiting an eon (like getting blood from a stone) but geez, talk about a hassle.
And you need a “specified item” insurance policy for jewellery, most home owner insurances have limits for jewellery. It’s expensive insurance btw. Check your policy wording to understand what is covered, where and when and what constitutes “loss”. Insurance companies love taking premiums but hate paying out a claim.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can get up to $5,000 insurance coverage with Australia Post.

Just wanted to add that this insurance is only available with express shipping that has had the optional 'extra cover' selected. While Auspost will cover lost packages that have not had extra cover selected in some circumstances, they have exceptions in place for gemstones and jewelry and will not cover them if they go missing and the sender hasn't picked extra cover. Just have to keep your receipt in case you need to claim!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results