shape
carat
color
clarity

Any amateur race car drivers??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I have always loved cars and driving, and recently have spent some time at the race track with an instructor. I am hooked, and will likely buy a car in the spring for the next season.

Any racers out there???

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I raced Spec Miata in 2000/2001. Laguna, Willow Springs, Thunderhill, Sears Point...lots of good times.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve buzzed around a few tracks, but my hubby is the racecar driver in the household! He races a V8 in improved production, kinda like a supercar. Pretty pricey hobby admittedly (but hey, so''s jewellery
1.gif
), but man, it''s FUN!!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We don''t race, but SO is super into cars and we''re huge F1 fans. What kind of car are you thinking of buying? SO had an Audi S4 that he loved doing windy mountain roads on (unfortunately, at 6''7", it''s hard for him to find cars he fits into!)

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how exciting! I totally understand about being hooked... I went to Skip Barber racing school about 12 yrs ago and am completely addicted. I raced a MGA for a couple of years and have been racing a vintage Porsche 911 for the last 10 yrs. I LOVE IT!!! I mostly race at Road America in WI but have also raced at Sebring, Moroso and Daytona in FL and Mid-Ohio and VIR (Virginia International Raceway). I come from a racing family... my uncle raced Formula cars in Europe in the 70''s. My dad, brother and dad''s cousin also raced. I guess it''s in the blood! My dad joined a racing country club (think golf country club but replace the golf course with a race track). We have a family membership and it''s so much fun. My dad and I were just at the track on Sunday doing a little lead-follow driving/racing on the track. So much fun!!

Perrfectpear, I''d love to hear about your Spec Miata experience. They have a Spec Miata series at this ''country club'' we belong to and I thought about buying one and racing in the series next year or the following year. Looks like a ton of fun!!

Litigator, what kind of car are you looking at buying? What track were you at?

portia

Brilliant_Rock
ladypirate, anytime you want to talk F1 talk let me know! My DH and I have been watching some of the F1 races and also watched the entire Indycar series this past season. It''s so exciting to watch!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
The great thing about Miatas is they''re dirt cheap and you don''t feel like you just tanked a $50K car. You can pick one up for around $3-$4K and have fun racing or spend closer to $10K and be competitive.

Speaking of racing country clubs, I''ve raced HERE at this track in Texas a couple of times. It''s quite sporty. I have to say that Willow Springs is probably my favorite though. Turn 9 at 120mph is a nice technical challenge. If you miss the apex you''re in the wall. I''ve seen many a Porsche and Viper totaled
32.gif
. In addition to my Spec Miata (which was unmodified, though stripped for weight) I had a turbocharged Miata for a few months until I got tired of wrenching on it constantly. A normally aspirated miata with race tires, header, and a few tuning tricks will keep up with (and pass a less skilled driver) any Audi, Vette, etc. out there until you hit the long straight. On a tight track it''s more about technique and handling than it is about horsepower. It also helps that people driving mega expensive cars on track days tend to back off at a certain point of slippage, whereas I had a rollbar and a replaceable track car.
2.gif

If you plan to do many track days better learn how to change your own brake pads/fluid and tires (or have an understanding hubby). I could go through a set of tires in two weekends.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
Hey! When I was a senior in highschool, my boyfriend at the time built me a small 4-cyl stock race car. Not the kind you are talking about, but I raced on a 1/4 mile circle track for a season, and ended up getting Rookie of the Year! I absolutly loved it- it was so much fun and I enjoyed being the only girl in a field of 25 guys. My current SO is very much into any kind of racing he can get into, and I don''t mind one bit beacuse it''s something we can enojoy together. By the way- my car was hot pink and won best looking car!

portia

Brilliant_Rock

PerrfectPear,

Spec Miata sounds like a lot of fun! And to hear they're relatively inexpensive to race is all the better! Maybe something to check out for 2010 season (if I can still afford to race LOL!). How much was maintenance for a race season? (If you'd rather not share that's totally ok with me... just so excited to hear someone here has raced in the series).

My brother is actually in CA for a car event and I remember him saying that he's going to a track day at 'Willow' something. I wish I could remember if he said Willow Springs or Buttonwillow. Turn 9 at Willow Springs sounds a lot like that what they call 'The Kink' at Road America. I've seen many a car crash badly there. That's the turn where Katherine Legge crashed in the Champcar series in 2006... you can see it on YouTube. Horrible!! It's like what you say about Turn 9... better not miss the apex... or have something break or hit oil!
32.gif

ETA: Hubby is playing Forza Motorsports 2 and is driving Laguna Seca right now. LOL!!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 3:39:41 PM
Author: portia
ladypirate, anytime you want to talk F1 talk let me know! My DH and I have been watching some of the F1 races and also watched the entire Indycar series this past season. It''s so exciting to watch!

LOL--just don''t tell me what happened at Singapore...we haven''t had a chance to watch the race yet! Do you guys follow a specific team? We''re McLaren Mercedes fans (I was so upset about the stupid call the stewards made a few weeks ago, but what do you expect? They always favor Ferrari
20.gif
)

portia

Brilliant_Rock
ladypirate, we already watched the Singapore race so I won't mention anything. We don't really following any specific teams, but we really only started watching regularly this season so maybe next season we'll be more into the different teams. I'm just amazed at the talent these drivers have. Ahhhh... my dream job!
1.gif

Do you also watch the qualifying sessions? We've been recording those as well. Interesting rules and procedures regarding the tires they use and the fuel they end the session with - then having to start the race with that same load. The strategy blows my mind! Took watching a few races to understand how qualifying works. And we also finally figured out what the heck 'He's gone purple in sector 2!' means. LOL! One question I have that I couldn't figure out is... What is that orange-colored drink they always have during the interview/press conf. after the race? Kind of looks like Tang. DH and I are always saying 'What IS THAT?'
33.gif
LOL!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, LitigatorChick, that's a great hobby to take up! I used to be a precision driver (non-collision stunt driver) for movies and TV in my youth, and my brother currently races and rallies. He's always trying to get me to join him at an event... I fear that if you post your adrenaline-laced stories here on PS, I'll get the itch again! Heh heh, PLEASE share your stories as they arise-- I'm glad you started this thread!

Date: 9/30/2008 6:49:12 PM
Author: purrfectpear
The great thing about Miatas is they're dirt cheap and you don't feel like you just tanked a $50K car. You can pick one up for around $3-$4K and have fun racing or spend closer to $10K and be competitive.

Speaking of racing country clubs, I've raced HERE at this track in Texas a couple of times. It's quite sporty. I have to say that Willow Springs is probably my favorite though. Turn 9 at 120mph is a nice technical challenge. If you miss the apex you're in the wall. I've seen many a Porsche and Viper totaled
32.gif
. In addition to my Spec Miata (which was unmodified, though stripped for weight) I had a turbocharged Miata for a few months until I got tired of wrenching on it constantly. A normally aspirated miata with race tires, header, and a few tuning tricks will keep up with (and pass a less skilled driver) any Audi, Vette, etc. out there until you hit the long straight. On a tight track it's more about technique and handling than it is about horsepower. It also helps that people driving mega expensive cars on track days tend to back off at a certain point of slippage, whereas I had a rollbar and a replaceable track car.
2.gif

If you plan to do many track days better learn how to change your own brake pads/fluid and tires (or have an understanding hubby). I could go through a set of tires in two weekends.

The Miata is *such* a fun car... very tight, spry, and LOVE the gear box. Purrfectpear, did you run a 2001 Miata? I recall the official HP was 155 (up a handful from the 2000) but then there was a class-action because the HP turned out to be shy of that. Do you know what the final tally was on that model? Which ones did you drive, and do you have any photos of your old babies?

f-d-l

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
LitigatorChick, what type of car are you thinking of acquiring in the Spring?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 12:19:00 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Hey, LitigatorChick, that''s a great hobby to take up! I used to be a precision driver (non-collision stunt driver) for movies and TV in my youth, and my brother currently races and rallies. He''s always trying to get me to join him at an event... I fear that if you post your adrenaline-laced stories here on PS, I''ll get the itch again! Heh heh, PLEASE share your stories as they arise-- I''m glad you started this thread!

The Miata is *such* a fun car... very tight, spry, and LOVE the gear box. Purrfectpear, did you run a 2001 Miata? I recall the official HP was 155 (up a handful from the 2000) but then there was a class-action because the HP turned out to be shy of that. Do you know what the final tally was on that model? Which ones did you drive, and do you have any photos of your old babies?

f-d-l
I had several, a 1991 [I think my hp was around 120 (1.6 liter engine with a lot of mods) stock was closer to 112], and two 1995''s (1.8 liter engine). Unfortunately I lost all my pics on an old laptop that had a hard drive melt down
7.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
PurfectPear, you rock!!! That is so cool! I have been out to our local track a few times with an instructor/without, and I can attest to the excitement. I am doing a full day school tomorrow, and can''t wait. I''m thinking about a BMW M3 - not thrilled about the Porsches, although a lot of boys at my track have them.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
LitigatorChick,

What track were you at? An M3 is a great choice! Will this be a dedicated track car (non street legal) or will it be a street driver as well? You'll have to come back and tell us all about your school day tomorrow.
36.gif
Is this school day part of a particular car club or school (like Bondurant or Skip Barber)?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
The school was awesome!!! My infiniti performs so well on the corners, although it lacks the acceleration of the M3. However, I was able to fly out of the last corner before the straight so quickly, I could easily overtake the M3 (ah my nemesis of Saturday, a gal with an M3 who would not let me past, despite being in her pipes on all the corners....).

I definately want a street legal car - not going to strip the car to its bones or anything.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Portia, we finally got around to watching the Singapore race this weekend--WHOA! That was intense. I''m definitely feeling better about McLaren''s chances after this. I can''t believe Ferrari doesn''t change out their automatic system for Pit Stops--that''s the second time it''s failed and cost them dearly just this year.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
LitigatorChick, Sounds like you had a blast! You go, girl!! Keep us posted on your track outings! I will live vicariously through you since my racing season is over and the local track I drive at on weekends is closing for the season.

Ladypirate, Yes, that was an incredible race! That track had very little room for error. Did you see how close a few of those guys got to the wall out of some of the turns? It looked like mere inches! And the mistake Ferrari made during their fueling pit stop... I couldn''t believe it!

What did you think of the first ever night race? Did you like it? It kind of reminded me of a video game. LOL!

So are you getting geared up for the Japanese Grand Prix? The first practice starts in 4 hrs. 44 min. Woohoo!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, we''re getting excited! Sadly, though, we don''t have a TV so we have to wait for the race to be recorded and posted to the internet where we can download it. It means avoiding all news-outlets that would report the results until afterwards or SO gets really annoyed!

It''s funny, Alonso kind of annoys me sometimes, but I''m glad he won the Singapore race. He''s a good driver and he has to feel a bit shafted this year after what happened between him and Lewis at McLaren.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that would be hard to avoid the news. I'm always lurking on the motorsports forums. Good to know... I won't say anything until you've posted that you watched it.

Do tell... what happened between him and Lewis?

I don't know enough yet to comment on the teams and drivers, but I did see Alonso's qualifying session and it wasn't good. He got out of the car and was extremely frustrated so it was nice to see him win.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Not last year but the two years before that, Alonso was the world champion with Renault. Last year, he moved over to McLaren (it was Hamilton''s first year in F1 and they were teammates). There was quite a lot of drama between the two of them--allegations of favoritism by the team, etc. Needless to say, the two of them did not end the year on particularly good terms. Alonso was a bit bitter about being beaten by the newbie. Hamilton was set to take the championship, but choked in the last couple of races and Raikkonen came from behind and won, leaving Hamilton and Alonso tied for second. Afterwards, Alonso announced he was leaving McLaren and went back to Renault and Kovaleinen came in to replace him.

F1 has a tendency to have scandals & drama, but that''s half of the fun. I think the Max Mosely one earlier this year has been my favorite by far, though. It was just so off the wall!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Okay amateur racers. Thinking of a BMW M3 - thoughts?

EveryWakingMoment

Rough_Rock
Hey there, litigatorchick! I met FF through racing the same car that he does. He was actually the mechanic/tuner my other car friends referred me to when i first started road racing
31.gif
Hes a personal coach for some of the people I'm up against.

Those miata guys are nuts! They were there for nationals the same weekend we were, and I watched a race at mid ohio with about 60 of them starting at once. At least 4 went off track at the end of the straight and just kept going! I got some great pictures of them, have to dig them up.

Anyway, i race a c5 corvette. I highly recommend the car, even in stock form (z06) it can pull impressive lap times with an experienced/skilled driver and so-so tires. I daily drive my corvette, even in up to an inch of snow as its my only car
38.gif
I have a harness bar and R compounds, and some upgraded brakes. I'm not amateur, not professional but a club racer w/sponsors for tires and brake pads. The c5 generation vettes are realllly dropping in price since the c6 has been out. We're not talking miata prices, but reasonable for me (still in school)

Whats your favorite track been? I love mid ohio, and watkins glen is also fun. FF & I + some friends are going to road atlanta for some open track time for a Christmas present to ourselves.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results