shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique stone and ring, what should I be looking at

Callmyname

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I will be going to Antwerp in next two weeks to look at some stones and rings.
One of the jewelers emailed me pics of an antique ring he will also show me.
Can anyone advise me what specifically I should be looking at.. The stone is set and they estimated 2,65-2.8ct J color VVS..
I will include the pics for you to see

_741.png

_742.png

_743.png

diamonddemon

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry that I really can't be of no help, but I have to chime in to say I'd buy the diamond in the photo if it was the right price. Love it but I'm a sucker for these cuts :lickout:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful in the pics (huge lover of old cuts here too). But please have the jeweller send it to a reliable lab for a proper certificate on specs like color, clarity, dimensions etc. You cannot fully go by the numbers with old cuts, but at least you will have some certainty,

Callmyname

Rough_Rock
Yes, If I will go ahead, I will ask to be sent for certification.. I know it doesn't have it.
The ring is on offer for 6k euro. I will be looking at couple other ones too.

Callmyname

Rough_Rock
I also would have it reset, I was looking at SB settings,
But if anyone can suggest other good antique style setting makers..

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
2.5+ Carats, J, Vvs for $6k euro direct to consumer seems undervalued. I would definitely want additional information and a return policy if the stone doesn't get certified before you buy it. At that price it's a potential steal, so I'd want to remove any doubt before I bought it.

Callmyname

Rough_Rock
Travelgal, yes, I would have it inspected. It is via one of the really reputable diamond places in Antwerp
- Rob van Beurden, I will be making the trip to have a look at it next week, plus to see other possibilities...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all honesty, I'm not loving the cut of that stone (a poor cut may be a reason it's priced low), but because the photos aren't great quality, it's possible that it will be more appealing in real life.

Here are a couple of threads that could help you get your bearings re old cuts & other PSers may know of additional ones;
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-diamond-guide.176033/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-diamond-guide.176033/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-need-a-serious-oec-education.179965/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-need-a-serious-oec-education.179965/[/URL]

Have you checked out Single Stone's web site? In addition to crafting settings that I think might appeal to you, they also have vintage rings:
https://www.singlestone.com

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI all!

I will say one thing that stands out to me:
If a stone is mounted during grading, the assessment is necessarily vague because so much of the diamond is hidden in a ring. For example that would account for a weight range of 2.6-2.8cts- based on measuring a diamond that's set int a ring, that's a reasonable range of estimation.
How then, would anyone be able to grade clarity to the finite extent of VVS while a diamond is set?
The answer; it's totally impossible.
Therefore such a grade calls the entire assessment into question.
As Travelgal mentioned, the price itself is a dead giveaway that the claimed grade is overestimated- and possibly by quite a bit.
Any professional seller would need to understand the pricing of diamonds of this size. If they had an almost 3ct J/VVS it would be off the wall crazy to sell it for $6k euro.....it kind of turns me off when sellers overestimate grades- JMO

Callmyname

Rough_Rock
Thank you MollyMalone, yes I do look at single stone a lot! The only thing is that I really want to look at some stones and rings in person,
hence my trip to Antwerp, I am in contact with two very reputable people there, I will avoid the tourist diamond district and just go see them.

Callmyname

Rough_Rock
Thank you rockdiamond! Yes, that is why mainly posted ... The price was low, they also offered on other stone to look at that was GIA and about 11k euro J Si2, and 2c that stone is loose. They don't specialize in antique diamonds, but do work with a woman who does.
While I am there I also will have an appointment with Joe Katz to look at new stones. I think not to get my self all crazy I will only try to look at three to four stones at the time.
If I won't feel comfortable I will wait until we are back in US...
By the way David, still enjoying my ring from you guys!!!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Callmyname,

Be advised that many diamonds in Antwerp will be graded by HRD. This is a very reputable lab, but rarely seen outside Europe.

Callmyname

Rough_Rock
Diamond hawk, would it be same standard as GIA?
I am also putting my trip on hold at the moment due to what has happened here...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results