shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique pin-is deconstructing it a bad idea?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on removing stones from an antique pin?

Is this a bad idea? There was so much craftmanship put into the pin, I feel like it is wrong to take it apart!

The pin has no senimental value. I would be reusing the stones in a much more wearable way. Or ways really, as it would be several projects.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
No! Don't do it! I have two antique pins/brooches and I just repurposed the entire piece into a bangle or a pendant.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
The pin in question!

I don't think it would survive bangling it, a long pendant maybe.

_468.jpeg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I recognize that pin! :) It is simply gorgeous! Please, do not take it apart.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1444273920|3936099 said:
Oh, I recognize that pin! :) It is simply gorgeous! Please, do not take it apart.
Haha-it had me at hello! Normally I wouldn't dream of taking it apart-but so many ideas swirling in my head looking at all the different stones!!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
The french cuts are just so swoon worthy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think while you could get more "wearable" pieces by repurposing it, you could never get such a stunning piece. I don't know how long it is, but even at 2 inches I think it could be on top of a bangle. I personally would make it into a horizontal pendant on a short-ish chain, that touches my collarbone on both ends. I think that's something you could wear with any shirt that exposes that bit of neck, and I wouldn't be shy about wearing it with a v-neck tshirt and jeans.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Its to beautiful to be taken apart sell it on to someone who can love it and buy something else with the proceeeds

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote to not take it apart!!

It's to beautiful to do that to, plus you'll never see another like it again. If it's not for you as is, I'd sell it and buy either loose stones for a project or an already made piece that makes your heart sing.

This is too pretty and no doubt too expensive to sit in a safe.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning pin! :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waaay too unique and beautiful to take it apart IMHO!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long is it??

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a bracetlet with chains on either end sort of like an id bracelet that is not curved. You would have to be careful about
not banging it up. I think if you keep it straight it would make a lovely bracelet.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, IMO deconstructing jewelry pieces is completely acceptable - you (generic you) will be making another piece of wearable art and that is what it is all about - of course, if your own inner voice is telling you not to do it, that's a bit of a quandary for you.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As someone who prefers to repurpose jewelry so that they become wearable versus languishing in jewelry boxes and vaults, I too would dissuade you from breaking this particular piece apart - she is just SOOO pretty and looks to be impeccably crafted! I have an Art Deco brooch which I bought with the intent of converting it but alas, she is STILL a brooch, and still in my jewelry box :cheeky:

I would suggest wearing her as a long chain necklace - lauriat style. The pin would not need to be dismantled, only a loop added on the top for the chain to loop through.

Congrats on the purchase though - she is GORGEOUS!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1444275621|3936113 said:
The french cuts are just so swoon worthy.
Thank you ROL! I love frenchies!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1444280252|3936140 said:
I think while you could get more "wearable" pieces by repurposing it, you could never get such a stunning piece. I don't know how long it is, but even at 2 inches I think it could be on top of a bangle. I personally would make it into a horizontal pendant on a short-ish chain, that touches my collarbone on both ends. I think that's something you could wear with any shirt that exposes that bit of neck, and I wouldn't be shy about wearing it with a v-neck tshirt and jeans.
Thanks for the ideas! It is around 2.75 inches-so too long for a bangle. I will see how it looks horizontal, but am leaning towards hanging it on a long chain for now.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
motownmama|1444306451|3936225 said:
How long is it??
Thank you-it is about 2.75 inches

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1444313003|3936258 said:
No, IMO deconstructing jewelry pieces is completely acceptable - you (generic you) will be making another piece of wearable art and that is what it is all about - of course, if your own inner voice is telling you not to do it, that's a bit of a quandary for you.
It is a quandary-my inner voice is saying don't do it, but my artistic mind it running wild with ideas!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
HeartingDiamonds|1444318904|3936288 said:
As someone who prefers to repurpose jewelry so that they become wearable versus languishing in jewelry boxes and vaults, I too would dissuade you from breaking this particular piece apart - she is just SOOO pretty and looks to be impeccably crafted! I have an Art Deco brooch which I bought with the intent of converting it but alas, she is STILL a brooch, and still in my jewelry box :cheeky:

I would suggest wearing her as a long chain necklace - lauriat style. The pin would not need to be dismantled, only a loop added on the top for the chain to loop through.

Congrats on the purchase though - she is GORGEOUS!!
Hi Grace-I am leaning towards a long necklace for now :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thank you to everyone else for their comments and ideas-so much to ponder!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What;'s the Marker's Mark on it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also food for thought - I've seen brooches popping up in fashion editorials and advertisements more and more recently.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stepcutnut|1444320680|3936302 said:
marymm|1444313003|3936258 said:

It is a quandary-my inner voice is saying don't do it, but my artistic mind it running wild with ideas!

I'm with Marymm - As lovely as the brooch is, it doesn't make much sense to hang on to it if it will never see the light of day. And I don't think it would translate into a necklace that I would wear regularly, if it were mine, that is. :lol:

I'd be tempted to see what it would cost to remake part of the back so it would curve and be useable as part of a bangle. I know that's a very costly proposition, but it would retain the stunning design and while giving it new life.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could also be a lengthwise bangle, like with a split... bangle deal. Like a split shank but the bracelet version. I still like the idea of a horizontal necklace - I know for me that would get a ton of wear - like 80% of my wardrobe is green or navy blue v-neck shirts, lol, so it'd match everything.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
stepcutnut|1444272588|3936095 said:
The pin in question!

I don't think it would survive bangling it, a long pendant maybe.

Beautiful pin, are the borders set with sapphires and emeralds or enamel?
Btw, pins are making a comeback IMO but reconstructing new wearable art is always exiting and allowable..., no?

Enjoy it, it's beatifull.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the beauty of an antique piece of jewellery is not only in the stones used, but by the design as well. Deconstructing it makes it just a bunch of tiny stones and devalues it greatly. To put them back together in a different design will cost more due to the labour of hand setting each tiny piece.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote to leave it as is. It is such a charming piece, with history - if you don't love it, perhaps consider selling it to someone who will love it as is and use the proceeds to make something that makes YOUR heart sing.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous piece SCN :love:

I'm usually all in favour of deconstruction and reconstruction in pursuit of enjoyment of a piece, but this one... everything works so well, exactly as-is, I can certainly see why you're reconsidering taking it apart!

Add me to the list of those who've recommended selling it as-is and using the proceeds to buy something you'll enjoy wearing ::)

Red_Velvette

Rough_Rock
It would make a beautiful hair clip. I wouldn't take that piece apart. I also think you could probably sell that for a good price and then just buy some nice loose stones to play with.

I am one who is a bit sad about brooches making a comeback, as I am making a brooch bouquet for my wedding, and could have bought them for a lot less just a short time back. :) *g*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results