shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique earrings: Badly chipped diamonds?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
46DAE305-F1B7-4CAA-8FA4-BE780F01B11F.jpeg D6D155AD-148B-4360-B262-334FD7DFD63C.jpeg

Hi, wanted to ask what the cut is of the diamonds? Are they rose cut? They look a bit wonky to me ie the diamonds are not uniform. Badly chipped?

Also looks like the prongs are badly worn as well. Are the emeralds in danger of falling out? Should I retip the prongs?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Those look like some wonky rustic rose cuts to me. I have some earrings that have similar stones. Some of the emerald prongs look like they are not touching or very thin. I think it would be worth taking into a bench you trust for an estimate. I really like the earrings though!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I saw your other thread. I personally would not pay $1700 for these unless you absolutely love them. I have a pair of Old ruby diamond earrings similar and I suspect my rubies are synthetic, but I picked those up for under $400 from a seller at a show with tons of stuff they had not tested. For $1700, I would want badly chipped stones to be replaced, prongs in good shape or redone, etc.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@elizat Thanks very much for your advice and real life comparison, really helpful!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's the ones I think they are-
That etsy shop has a no return no refund policy.
I'd skip on that alone.
They may be authentic Georgian ( and who knows what proof they have), but as pointed out already they'd need much work done to wear safely. I also wouldn't trust just any ol bench to to the repair and keep the authentic look.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds have a few nibbles, not unexpected for antique diamonds. Rustic rose cut diamonds are interesting but they don’t “perform” anything like modern diamonds.
Having the prongs retipped will be expensive and you’ll have to find a suitably qualified bench to do the work and a $1,700 purchase price is expensive already.
I’d pass unless you absolutely love them.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 always the voice of reason! Yes, I like it but don’t love it so think I’ll pass, just because of the amount of TLC needed.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good call on passing. The setting doesn’t quite look Georgian to me, but I’m certainly no expert. The diamonds look like cheap polki cuts and I wonder if the earrings are reproductions?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Good call on passing. The setting doesn’t quite look Georgian to me, but I’m certainly no expert. The diamonds look like cheap polki cuts and I wonder if the earrings are reproductions?

@JPie Yes, I too feel like the whole setting is a bit wonky/off and the diamonds too poor quality . A quality piece even with age should still hold up somewhat and everything about this piece from the uneven prongs to the big gaps between the diamonds and the setting suggests perhaps inferior quality and not just average wear and tear. I was tempted but sometimes if a deal is too good to be true it’s probably not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results