shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Demantoid Garnet Ring

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
I bought this ring online yesterday and it arrived today. I posted my questions in the main Show Me The Ring forum, but people suggested to switch to the Antique and Vintage Jewelry. So here I am.

This is the ring description:

An Art Nouveau Demantoid Flower Ring

The ring was made in Moscow between 1899 and 1908. It is designed as a stylized flower in Art Nouveau taste, set with

three Uralian green demantoid garnets and two rose-cut diamonds.

All three demantoids have bold "horse tail" inclusions which are typical for Russian demantoids from the Ural Mountains.

The largest demantoid is 5,5 x 4,5 x 3,4 mm, approximately 0.70 ct.

Width of the demantoid flower - 21 mm (7/8 in.)

I really love this ring, but how can I verify that it is 100% authentic? The seller seems to be reputable, the stones look great and real, but the work, labor? Where is the guarantee that it was made at the beginning of the 20-th century, not later or even these days? How in general this kind of verification can be done? If someone could do it 100 years ago, then having good stones why it is not possible to make a good replica let's say 30-50-90 years later? How to distinguish old labor from new labor? I am not trying to put shadow on my seller (he is a very nice person and I trust him), my question is rather generic and educational :geek:

Later, when the ring arrived, I found that there are tiny chips on the main stone, visible with the loupe. I got very upset because I expected it to be perfect, so I called the seller. He said that it is very normal for the antique stones to have some chips and scratches, otherwise you would suspect that the stones were replaced. What do you think, antique experts?
Can someone evaluate its actual cost?

Any opinions are highly appreciated.

Posting the pictures of the ring from the site and on my hand.

garnet_rings_0.jpg

_7432.jpg

dsc_58.jpg

dsc_0410.jpg

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Posting a quoted reply from the previous forum (thank you, "bastecat"!):

bastetcat|1371918281|3470493 said:
You probably would get more info on the stones if you posted in CS but authenticating an antique piece you may get some info in here or in the Antique/Vintage subforum.

I don't know if there are other ways to authenticate a ring, but there are some thing I see about it that I know aren't generally done nowadays which could lean me towards thinking it may be older (exactly how old I couldn't say).

- The way the claws are holding the stones is something that was common back then and not done as often now. A jeweler I know who specializes in antique refurnishment told be that requires a complete retip of every prong when that type of claw setting is done. You can't just take out a stone and put a new one in because of the way the old claws are done.

- The rose cuts look like *real* antique rose cuts with the shimmer I like and possibly some blackening behind them I tend to see in actual antiques as opposed to the remakes that are sold now which I think look WAY too clean and perfect. The new ones just look like drops of water to me, whereas the actual antique have an earthy charm to them.

Someone who specializes in antique could probably give you some info.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
From what I can tell:
1. The cut of the stones is old.
2. The prongs are representative of the era.
3. The piece echoes the jewelry of the time period which was largely inspired by nature.

I think it's an authentic piece.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pretty much agree with Hera. I'm not an expert by any means, but this just doesn't look like a modern reproduction to me. The cut of the stones, the fact that they have some wear, the prongs/design of the ring and just it's overall appearance makes me think it's an antique . It is very pretty and looks lovely on you!

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thank you, guys! I appreciate all your responses.
I am already in love with this little precious thing and feeling like it has been mine forever :)

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I love the ring, especially the handshot! It is such a pretty design, and so unique. Would you mind sharing the seller?

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliments :)
The site is http://romanovrussia.com
In my opinion, the seller is very knowledgeable and intelligent. I talked to him over the phone and via emal and he patiently explained to me all the details I wanted to know. His items are absolutely gorgeous. I can watch them forever. Each piece is the state of the art. Yes, they are expensive, but how can you tell what their real price is? How much is the history of your country, your family? How mush is your past, your memories? How much do they mean to you? One of the reasons why I bought this ring is my memories. My grandmother used to have a beautiful ring from 1910-th, but it was stolen many years ago. All the time I desperately wanted it back. Then recently, I found this seller on ebay and RubyLane. I read all the positive feedback and started looking at his items closer and closer, falling more and more in love with his wonderful old world of the real art.When I saw this demantoid ring, I told myself: yes that must be it. No, it is not my grandma's ring, but it is so delicate and beautifully done, so I found piece in my heart. That is my story.

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
Wow. I clicked on your link and didn't even go beyond the home page yet. I think my wallet is in trouble.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
It's glorious. I have watched that sellers site for a long time and he has exquisite pieces. What an incredible heirloom for you to now pass down someday.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Ооoчень интересно, спасибо!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have long admired this site, but don't know anyone who had purchased from there and that gave me pause. And I know nothing of history of the items--how are some of the older pieces authenticated for providence? I always supposed highly identifiable pieces would be sold at a famous auction house with much fanfare....

I also noticed that very few of the pieces come with independent paperwork or appraisals.

Can anyone elucidate me?

cheers--Sharon

maga

Rough_Rock
Irina, what if all your messages are being premoderated? They could turn up in a day or two. Anyway Ill ask moderators to sort this. What nick do you use there?

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Not only could I not post any messages, I could not even open jpg images attached to other people posts. That is because they were supposed to send me a confirmation link via email, but I never received it (none in my junk folder either).

maga

Rough_Rock
Irina I will ask for clarification from AF moderators, to do this I will need the name and the time of your registration. Unless you are registered there you can't start threads or view the items.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much, maga. My name there is irinaalexa, Join date July 11, 2013.

maga

Rough_Rock
Irina, further to our dicuss.- AF moderators confirmed your status as regstrd+premoderation-you could try again to open the thread.Good luck:)

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Magic! I can see all the images and post messages now! Thanks a lot, Maga!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irina: I know I'm coming a little late to your thread, but I love demantoids, especially Russian. Tell me, can you see the horsetails close up, or do you need to loupe them? I adore horsetails, particularly those that look like exploding fireworks. :love:

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
The horsetail inclusions are minimal and seen only with the loupe. Thanks!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What an amazing ring! Seriously I think you got a gorgeous piece. I agree with those that stated that this ring is fully authentic and for the reasons they stated. To own something from that period is truly wonderful and the piece you got is very unique, I love the demantoids as well. Now about the quality, we have a Faberge exhibition now in Vienna and I was shocked about how amazing the quality of gemstones was that the house used; I rarely find emeralds of that quality today and their demantoids were amazing as well. They did appear a bit cleaner but that is somewhat expected from Faberge to use top stones and also I can only see them under a glass case and not with a loupe, I wish.:))) I did see Faberge at auction IRL and there was damage for sure, this is absolutely normal. Even my pieces from the period all show some damage, the diamonds are chipped, etc. (not all but I would say when there are 60, 2-3 will show some damage). Everything about this piece screams real to me. That is all I can say based on photos.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah I just noticed that I am very late to this thread as well but I opened the site and I think my wallet could be in a serious trouble if he does indeed sell Faberge. Now authenticity is a big worry when it comes to it I think I would probably only trust Sotheby's or Christie's on this. That said all Russian pieces from the era command premium prices how high well that depends on what someone is willing to pay but they are often valued at several times what other jewelry would be valued at from the same era.

palak123

Rough_Rock
i must say ring is really beautiful, and i think this ring is antique by its appearance and design.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results