shape
carat
color
clarity

Another type of Motivation question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
OK, so this is not related to weight loss but relating to my dissertation writing.
38.gif

I am anxious to finish writing my dissertation ASAP so I can move to CA for my postdoc job and be with my sweetheart. Strangely the more anxious and guilty I feel (for not writing enough) the less productive I am each day. I think it is some sort of anxiety/depressive cycle that I can not seem to get myself out of. Anyone here has had similiar stressful experience for a project deadline? Did you find yourself in serious lack of motivation (or drive) to complete BECAUSE of stress? Any tips and advice you could share to help me please??? THANKS!!!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Maybe set aside the same time to work every day, like a contract with yourself. When I did my thesis work, I always did better away from home, like a library. Somehow getting dressed and leaving the house put my brain in high(er) gear. Another trick I played with myself is to always start my work with a guilty pleasure, like a Glamour magazine--I wouldn''t allow myself to read it until I sat down to work. Somehow it worked. Good luck!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
I feel you!
I fall into the same darn cycle... I create a schedule for what I''ll complete by a certain time, then I don''t finish it, then I''m riddled with guilt about it! I''m not writing a dissertation, I''m just completing some online classes to get my teaching certfication. I thought I''d be done by September, but alas... the wedding threw me back.

Not that I''m a great person for strategies, because I''m still crawling through my last class, but one thing that I have done is deem certain days "hunker-down" days. Like justjulia said, sometimes it really helps to get our of the house. On those days I pack up all my things and go to a certain coffee house that''s dark and has couches, desks and work spaces. Just being out of the house helps me concentrate more. Somehow if I''m home I''ll suddenly find myself mopping the kitchen floor, or cleaning the bathroom, or some other household task that I''ve left hanging until that moment.

Speaking of which, I''ve probably got to get through a math lesson today. So thanks for being my motivation!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you need to take some time off before you can be motivated. When I was preparing for my qualifying exams (we have to write a 20-page proposal, so not quite like a dissertation, but a similar feel), I got to points where I really needed a complete break. Depending on how burned-out I was feeling, that could mean going out for lunch with my DH and a really good friend who it was relaxing to hang out with, or playing hooky for an entire day and hitting a movie, shopping, etc...

I think sometimes when you push too hard you get diminishing returns after a while, whereas if you just gave yourself a little (never needed to be more than a day in my case) real time off (no thinking about/talking about/doing anything related to) the task you''re trying to complete, you can return to it with a fresh perspective and more energy to complete it. I also found that working out (preferably while watching stupid TV or flipping through a fun magazine) could help clear my head as well.

Anyway, I don''t know if that will help in your situation, but its something to consider. Good luck getting finished!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the great advices! You were right because I have been working from my apartment (in front of my TV on the couch) and it has NOT been productive. My two cats will curl up against my arms and purr, whcih then put me to sleep... When I get up in the morning I feel sick that I have done so little and feel depressed and go back under the comforter... Oh I am such a bad person at work right now..... Thanks for your suggestions and I will get myself going with your tips!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results