shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Terror Attack In Istanbul

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's not let the number of terror attacks in Turkey make us so jaded that we do not even bother to start threads on them. (I almost did not.)

There was yet another attack by ISIS (or ISIL) yesterday in Turkey, at the Ataturk airport in Istanbul. At the moment the death toll stands at 41, but the number keeps changing. For anyone who doesn't know, Turkey is a Muslim nation. Do not let Donald Trump play into your hands by making you think that all Muslims can tell what other Muslims are thinking. (In his brilliance, Trump actually said just that in one of his most recent speeches.)

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/world/europe/turkey-istanbul-airport-explosions.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

AGBF

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does staring hard at every evil act in the world change anything?

We throw up our hands and say we can't (and thus we won't) do anything to stem the tide of violence in our own country. I know this increases the sense of powerlessness, thus more throwing up of the hands, etc, etc.

We see something in Turkey (or wherever) and know we really have little or no influence on their problems. If we won't do anything at home, and we can't do anything in Turkey, what have we accomplished other than more hand-wringing, a larger sense of powerlessness in the world, and ultimately, personal depression? Maybe a feeling of empathy that we can stroke ourselves with, but as they say, faith without works is dead, and we are no longer into anything much more than talking about stuff.

It's not being jaded to NOT ingest and deeply FEEL, every.single.tragedy the world has to offer. It's sometimes self preservation.

I'm going to go all old, and say that I long for the days when the news was delayed, and there was some remove in time, sheer number, and reporting, of tragedy. There is zero breathing room anymore. Not because there are more tragedies so much, but because you can't escape being informed of every single one of them in real time, often with a live stream cell phone video.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, all this would stop if we all just joined their religion.
Easy Peasy!

People should NOT vary!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1467227350|4049774 said:
You know, all this would stop if we all just joined their religion.
Easy Peasy!

People should NOT vary!

You are quite right that ISIS/ISIL wants everyone to follow their extreme (and bizarre) form of Islam. However, when you post, "this would all stop if we all joined their religion" you may inadvertently mislead people. As I stated above, the people of Turkey who were attacked, practice Islam, too. It plays into the hands of Donald Trump, who wants to ban all Muslims from immigrating to the United States, if we allow ISIS/ISIL to define the Muslim religion. Remember that the victims of this attack were Muslim, too!

AGBF

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree lumping every Muslim in the same basket as each other is like lumping every Christian in the same basket with each other and as we know within religious, and ideologies, to quote you Kenny, people DO vary....

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1467203623|4049612 said:

Thanks Deb, sadly there have been more terrible acts of violence around the world since we posted these threads. I have days where I just don't want to turn on the news at all. It's quite depressing. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results