shape
carat
color
clarity

Another shooting tragedy...

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Al, the problem is that there are a lot of weirdos. Innocent, will never harm a fly, shy, quiet, likes ultra violent movies, reads gun magazines, lives in their parents' basement weirdos. You can't dob people in for being weird. Every teenage boy would end up in juvenile detention for mouthing off about getting revenge or empty threats of killing a sports rival. What you CAN do is make it impossible for them to obtain 4 weapons and 6000 rounds of ammunition within a matter of months. Is that an unreasonable goal?

You are amazingly passionate about this subject, which I respect because I understand your point of view regarding the loss of personal freedoms. However...no society is a free for all. Well, no society that any rational person wants to be a part of. There are speed limits. Various types of drugs are illegal. Have you read the Patriot Act - that marked the end of most personal freedoms previously enjoyed by Americans. Censorship happens. Children are required to be vaccinated to attend school.

Rights are upheld and protected so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others, correct? I personally think that the right to purchase automatic weapons, for which I can think of no PRACTICAL use (beyond having one just to have one), does not fall in that category. The life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness of countless individuals have been snuffed out due to these weapons. Until you can present a reason that the average American would want with an automatic weapon, the 'loss of personal freedom' by outlawing them is akin to the loss of freedom by banning heroin. Though of course, at least illegal drugs kill the USERS, not the bystanders.

I would never suggest the outlawing of all guns. That's ludicrous (to me, anyway). The great majority of owners are responsible (though growing up in a small town in the Midwest, I can attest to how many of them were irresponsible in allowing their untrained children to access and use their guns, unsupervised). Want a pistol? Fine. Want a rifle? Fine. Do extensive background checks, require a decent waiting period, require a locked gun safe, have a police officer attend the home where it will be stored, and have periodic checks on them. Send a police officer around to see where the weapon is ACTUALLY stored. Is it under your bed? That's a $500 on the spot fine. In your garage? $500. In your closet? $500. In your vehicle? $500. If it's missing altogether? Find out where it is - if it's stolen and unreported, $500 fine. We need to stop allowing criminals to access weapons through LAZY, though law-abiding, citizens.

I just don't understand how a rational person could argue against the banning of automatic weapons, of which there appears to be no use except murder, and the tightening of restrictions on normal firearms. Surely any step at all, anything that would reduce the staggering number of gun deaths, is a positive step? I feel as if you're arguing a completely different point - no one wants to rid every American of their collectable, functional firearm. We simply want to lower the number that are accessible to criminals, and decrease the number of bullets spilling out of them in the case of mass murder.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
The title of this post really says it all. "Another shooting tragedy." Yep, another one in a long line of them, with more to come.

So Alj and Tuckins-what are your ideas for preventing future mass shooting incidents? More armed people so they can shoot the shooter? Or are we going to have to just hope we're not at the next one? Freedoms isn't free and all that?

I also completely agree with justginger that most of the Americans so concerned with "gun rights" didn't say a word when the Patriot Act passed. I wonder why that is?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1343388999|3241251 said:
The title of this post really says it all. "Another shooting tragedy." Yep, another one in a long line of them, with more to come.

So Alj and Tuckins-what are your ideas for preventing future mass shooting incidents? More armed people so they can shoot the shooter? Or are we going to have to just hope we're not at the next one? Freedoms isn't free and all that?

I also completely agree with justginger that most of the Americans so concerned with "gun rights" didn't say a word when the Patriot Act passed. I wonder why that is?

What's with the hostile attitude? I don't remember saying anything about arming more people so they can shoot the shooter. Terrible tragedies like this have been happening for ever, and they will continue to happen because we cannot just persecute someone on being "suspected" of having some sort of mental disorder, civil rights and all... I never said I had the answer, but I don't think changing gun laws will make a difference. People who are intent on harming others will do so, no matter what the law says. I'm pretty sure that none of the gang bangers here in Detroit have legal permits to carry weapons...

And please, don't try to classify me as a gun toting right winger, you really have no idea about my political view points. This thread was not meant to be about gun laws or politics.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1343391499|3241266 said:
thing2of2|1343388999|3241251 said:

What's with the hostile attitude? I don't remember saying anything about arming more people so they can shoot the shooter. Terrible tragedies like this have been happening for ever, and they will continue to happen because we cannot just persecute someone on being "suspected" of having some sort of mental disorder, civil rights and all... I never said I had the answer, but I don't think changing gun laws will make a difference. People who are intent on harming others will do so, no matter what the law says. I'm pretty sure that none of the gang bangers here in Detroit have legal permits to carry weapons...

And please, don't try to classify me as a gun toting right winger, you really have no idea about my political view points. This thread was not meant to be about gun laws or politics.

I don't have a hostile attitude, actually, but thanks for assuming I do!

I'm truly curious as to what solutions you or Alj think could prevent this sort of thing, since you both appear to believe that changing current gun laws won't help.

And when did I classify you or Alj as a right winger anywhere in my post? I am well aware that not all gun owners are right wing nuts, seeing as how I'm a liberal through and through and I own guns myself.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1343224507|3239658 said:
I read this article a couple of days ago and I completely agree. http://www.freep.com/article/20120722/COL10/207220572

An excerpt:

"It happened again.

Quit crying. Stop asking for prayer.

We don't really care.

I don't have to recount the times in our American past that some nut job with a gun has shot dozens of people.

But what I can't figure out is why we watch it, do nothing about it and then cry when it happens again?

<SNIP>

If we cared, we would do something about the weapons of mass destruction for which there is no excuse. Not the .22 that a young mother might keep by her bed or the .38 that a cop carries off-duty, but assault rifles whose sole reason for being is to kill people quickly.

If we cared, we would have done something about those three months ago after a guy killed seven people and injured three because he couldn't talk to a staff member at a small Korean Christian college in Oakland, Calif.

If we cared, we would have done something last August after a guy killed his girlfriend and six others following a family argument in Summit County, Ohio.

If we cared, we would have done something in 2009 after a guy shot 10 people, including members of his own family, in Geneva and Samson, Ala."

I agree with this article. No one is saying a ban on semi automatic weapons would eliminate all gun murders, but it would certainly reduce the likelihood of this kind of incident. I do not understand why there is not more support for this kind of ban. Many police organizations are for this type of restriction, because it means their guys are out-weaponed.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1343387952|3241247 said:
Al, the problem is that there are a lot of weirdos. Innocent, will never harm a fly, shy, quiet, likes ultra violent movies, reads gun magazines, lives in their parents' basement weirdos. You can't dob people in for being weird. Every teenage boy would end up in juvenile detention for mouthing off about getting revenge or empty threats of killing a sports rival. What you CAN do is make it impossible for them to obtain 4 weapons and 6000 rounds of ammunition within a matter of months. Is that an unreasonable goal?

You are amazingly passionate about this subject, which I respect because I understand your point of view regarding the loss of personal freedoms. However...no society is a free for all. Well, no society that any rational person wants to be a part of. There are speed limits. Various types of drugs are illegal. Have you read the Patriot Act - that marked the end of most personal freedoms previously enjoyed by Americans. Censorship happens. Children are required to be vaccinated to attend school.

Rights are upheld and protected so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others, correct? I personally think that the right to purchase automatic weapons, for which I can think of no PRACTICAL use (beyond having one just to have one), does not fall in that category. The life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness of countless individuals have been snuffed out due to these weapons. Until you can present a reason that the average American would want with an automatic weapon, the 'loss of personal freedom' by outlawing them is akin to the loss of freedom by banning heroin. Though of course, at least illegal drugs kill the USERS, not the bystanders.

I would never suggest the outlawing of all guns. That's ludicrous (to me, anyway). The great majority of owners are responsible (though growing up in a small town in the Midwest, I can attest to how many of them were irresponsible in allowing their untrained children to access and use their guns, unsupervised). Want a pistol? Fine. Want a rifle? Fine. Do extensive background checks, require a decent waiting period, require a locked gun safe, have a police officer attend the home where it will be stored, and have periodic checks on them. Send a police officer around to see where the weapon is ACTUALLY stored. Is it under your bed? That's a $500 on the spot fine. In your garage? $500. In your closet? $500. In your vehicle? $500. If it's missing altogether? Find out where it is - if it's stolen and unreported, $500 fine. We need to stop allowing criminals to access weapons through LAZY, though law-abiding, citizens.

I just don't understand how a rational person could argue against the banning of automatic weapons, of which there appears to be no use except murder, and the tightening of restrictions on normal firearms. Surely any step at all, anything that would reduce the staggering number of gun deaths, is a positive step? I feel as if you're arguing a completely different point - no one wants to rid every American of their collectable, functional firearm. We simply want to lower the number that are accessible to criminals, and decrease the number of bullets spilling out of them in the case of mass murder.

Ditto to this entire post! :appl: Great points!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we talk about semi-automatic weapons and why there isn't more support for a complete ban of these types of guns? Is it because gun enthusiasts worry that any incursion onto their right to bear arms would only lead to more restrictions in the future? If that is the case, is that a reasonable fear?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results