shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Paris Proposal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I am pretty new to this website but I have read through all of the posts on Paris that I could find and I cannot make up my mind where to/when to propose in Paris. We are going in about a month now and I am doing my best to surprise my SO even though she is the worlds biggest snoop. I definitely want to do it the first night I am there, we will be stopping through London for 2 days prior so Jet Lag shouldn''t be a problem, but I don''t want to raise any red flags for her.

So basically I am thinking that because we like to walk and it is very likely that we will be walking to the Champs Elysees/Arc De Triomphe/Eiffel Tower all on the first night(outside the Lourve is also an option), that I will probably do it on this walk. However, I am having a hard time deciding which would be best. I am leaning towards the Arc De Triomphe because I know that the Eiffel Tower is not her favorite place/monument in Paris(she lived there for a while and has told me this on many occasions) and because it looks out on the Champs Elysees and so many converging points of Paris. My only problem is that I don''t want a huge crowd because I don''t think she would like that very much and I am not sure how private the observation level is or how romantic it really is up there at night.

Because of these factors I am thinking of just keeping the ring with me all day/night and proposing when I think the time is right but if the Arc De Triomphe is highly recommended I think I will wait until we get there at least. Does anyone out there have any other thoughts... I unfortunately don''t know all that much about Paris other than the pictures and things that I read about it, so some first hand perspective would be much appreciated.

One last thing, I know that there are some people who have been engaged abroad on this website, so I was wondering if anyone had any problems going through security with the ring or anything like that. I am hoping that that would be rare as, like I said before, I am trying to keep it a secret! Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
4.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m so excited for you! Paris is my favorite city and I still think that it is the absolute best place for a proposal (hey, I''m not biased or anything).

My husband had no issues getting through security with the ring. He kept it on his body the entire time...he didn''t even want to put it in his carry on bag. He never once had to take it out, so I had no clue he was carrying it with him, which made the proposal more surprising than I thought it would be (I knew he had the ring on the trip, I just didn''t know he had been carrying it ON him the whole time).

As for proposal ideas, the thing is that all of your ideas are good, so I don''t see anything wrong with just proposing when it feels right. If you''re going to be walking along the Seine and seeing the Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower, just enjoy the stroll and propose when you feel the timing is perfect. I don''t think it should be TOO orchestrated.

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help. I had definitely been thinking I would probably carry it on me and I think that pretty much decided that issue for me!
1.gif

I think for the proposing part I am almost definitely going to be carrying the ring with me until I actually do it, to take a page out of you SO''s book, and just make the final decision when the moment feels right. I am just trying to get some kind of idea what people have experienced especially as far as surroundings and crowds at the Lourve, Arc de Triomphe, and also any place on the Champs-Elysees that maybe a place to keep in mind. I 100% agree with not wanting the thing to be too orchestrated because I know something will go wrong and it will just make everything awkward. I have read your story in other posts and think that your SO did a great job of surprising you and making it special for you. Which is pretty much what I want to do!
2.gif

I am also thinking about having champagne in the room for when we get back, so how difficult would it be to get it on my own with out her noticing if I were to get it on my own?(I''ll have to look into the hotel to see what kind of services they provide.) Thanks again for your advice it is very much appreciated!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Just my opinions on Paris places -

I actually loathe the Champs Elysees, I think it''s one of the most overrated places in the city. Arc de Triomphe, it''s an interesting tourist attraction, but not romantic, it''s usually very crowded with jostling tourists and noisy traffic. Eiffel Tower proposal - the ultimate cliche.

Square du Vert Galant or Place Dauphine on the Ile de la Cite, one of the bridges on the Canal St Martin. Versailles? A day trip, but worth it. What is she into? Art - the oval room of the waterlillies in the Orangerie (not likely to be uncrowded). Food - over macaroons at Laduree. Is she a little eccentric - in front of the unicorn tapestries at the Cluny museum (a personal obsession of mine) or Pere Lachaise cemetary, it''s a beautiful place, very touching and romantic. A lot of places in Paris inspire very strong emotions in me, I am sure you will find a perfect place for you too.

Iniate a conversation about Paris, and really listen if she mentions particular places and ''experiences'' she really loved, most likely it won''t be the obvious tourist traps.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
The Champs Elysees is always busy--we saw a movie at midnight and it was still crowded when we came out at 2 a.m.--in fact I think we grabbed a crepe at a local cafe before heading back to our hotel.

The Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower are also both pretty crowded as well. At the base of the Eiffel Tower there are a ton of vendors trying to sell stuff. Dan and I went up right before they closed (around 11 p.m.--I remember the flashing lights going off right as he was proposing, which was at 11). Anyway, it was still very crowded and he somehow found a private spot (of course this was on top of the tower), but I was suprised at how busy it was so late. The Arc de Triomphe was similar--our hotel was sort of in between the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe and both were still very busy late at night.

I liked strolling along the Seine at night, especially around Notre Dame, but you definitely bump into homeless people under the bridges, haha. I think it would be easy to find a private spot along the river, but you''ll have to get away from too many crowds!

hazel_eyes

Shiny_Rock
Hey there,
I''m just back from a trip to Paris. It was my 3rd time there and I just loved it all over again.
My advice for the most romantic/best place to propose would be by the lake in the gardens of the Palais de Versaillles. What an amazing place, couldn''t think of a better backdrop for a proposal and there are plenty of good spots where you can make it so it''s just the two of you. Well, they''re my thoughts on the subject anyway. Best of luck with it and enjoy Paris.

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Agree with and appreciate all the ideas that you guys are throwing out there and Versailles seems to be a popular one. It is definitely one that I will be keeping in mind as I think that will be on our first day of the trip. Unfortunately I know that it is not her favorite palace, FontaineBleau is, and we will not be making it to FontaineBleau because of how far outside the city it is. I also really like the idea of doing it along the Seine at night, so that is definitely a possibility as well. Another place that I have thought of is Fauchon, her favorite restaraunt/cafe. If anyone has been there and can give me some insight as to what it is like there I would appreciate it. Also just to see if it sparks any insights, we met on a cruise ship, so anything on or near water would be a good option, but keep in mind the privacy thing.
1.gif

On a side note, I went and bought the ring last night and I have no idea how people can keep this a secret for very long. I realized when I got home that I had close to two months to keep it from her and immediatly felt like there was little chance I could make it so long!!!
23.gif
I am way too excited and can''t stop thinking about it. Hope she doesn''t get too suspicious!!!

tessari

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for a daytime proposal at the Parc de Bagatelle. It is seriously one of the most beautiful places in the world...you can definitely find private spots in gazebos, on bridges, by the chateau...it''s also a bit closer than versailles...

If you are set on an evening time proposal in Paris...hmm...I just think somewhere along the seine is a little awkward bc down below right by the river there''s people urinating on walls and drinking and above there''s foot traffic. There''s pont neuf, there''s also a pedestrian bridge right around the louvre that has good views (if it''s nice out it will be crowded with late night picnics)...place des vosges is lovely...

Sigh. I wish my boyfriend would propose in Paris...but we live on the west coast and already have a vacation day devouring trip planned to europe in the spring so it''s not going to happen
7.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 11:37:34 AM
Author: DCmarc11
Agree with and appreciate all the ideas that you guys are throwing out there and Versailles seems to be a popular one. It is definitely one that I will be keeping in mind as I think that will be on our first day of the trip. Unfortunately I know that it is not her favorite palace, FontaineBleau is, and we will not be making it to FontaineBleau because of how far outside the city it is. I also really like the idea of doing it along the Seine at night, so that is definitely a possibility as well. Another place that I have thought of is Fauchon, her favorite restaraunt/cafe. If anyone has been there and can give me some insight as to what it is like there I would appreciate it. Also just to see if it sparks any insights, we met on a cruise ship, so anything on or near water would be a good option, but keep in mind the privacy thing.
1.gif

On a side note, I went and bought the ring last night and I have no idea how people can keep this a secret for very long. I realized when I got home that I had close to two months to keep it from her and immediatly felt like there was little chance I could make it so long!!!
23.gif
I am way too excited and can''t stop thinking about it. Hope she doesn''t get too suspicious!!!
I just have to say that this is so very sweet. It always makes me smile when the man is so excited about the engagement :) Nothing says you have to wait until Paris
31.gif

Don''t forget, we LOVE pics around here so if you have some photos we''d love to see them!

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
I really, really appreciate all of the suggestions that people have been making! They are very helpful and open up other options to me that I would have had no other way of knowing about!
1.gif
Also we will be going in mid Nov. so if there is anything that is special going on at that time of year or if you have been there and know what things at that time are like, all comments/suggestions are much appreciated! I think I am starting to get a clearer idea of what I am wanting to do but, I still need to iron out the kinks so please keep the suggestions coming!

As far as pictures are concerned I will do my best. I don''t have the ring yet(its being sized) and I don''t want to have to many clues sitting around, but I promised I would take one for someone else already so I will certainly post one out here too. (BTW its pretty much the same as the one that is my Avitar, size and spec''s excluded) I went with Tiffany''s 1.39, H, VS1 in the Tiffany setting. It''s pretty much exactly what my SO wanted so hopefully she''ll like it! Thanks again to everyone out there for your help thus far, its nice to get some outside perspective!

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/25/2008 8:45:35 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Date: 9/25/2008 11:37:34 AM

I just have to say that this is so very sweet. It always makes me smile when the man is so excited about the engagement :) Nothing says you have to wait until Paris
31.gif

Don''t forget, we LOVE pics around here so if you have some photos we''d love to see them!

Since you asked here you go, Just picked it up today....More to follow!
4.gif

Ring0913010804.JPG

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Another...

Ring0913010801.JPG

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Another...

Ring0913010802.JPG

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
And finally... Of course I will post more after with her wearing it but I trust these should feed any need for photos till then!
2.gif

Ring0913010803.JPG

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
DCMarc, you done good!

The ring is stunning and I''m just so excited for you! She is going to be one very happy lady!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
COngrats DCmarc11
30.gif
beautiful ring you''ve got there, i think a yes i a given!! As for places to propose, i just got back from Paris last night, and Id agree with MishB (Hi Mish
35.gif
) on the Champs Elysee - the atmosphere isnt as great as you would think. If you''re wandering about and just going to do it when the moment feels right though im sure you''ll hit on a lovely spot.

The Seine is beautiful to walk along esp. near Ile de la cite, and the luxembourg gardens are also very beautiful at night. Or if she''s into the fashion (or the jewellery!!) Place Vendome, at night has a glam feel (i think Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes!!).

Sigh, so many lovely places in Paris - enjoy your proposal DCmarc11 and Im sure the lucky lady in your life will too
30.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I skipped through some posts so I apologize if I''m being repetitive. My BF and I just returned from a 3.5 week vacation in Europe and we stayed in Paris for 4 nights. It is such a gorgeous and charming city and you will be surrounded by couples holding hands with big hearts flashing in their eyes (think
30.gif
).

I too think the Champs Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe are overly crowded and you will never find a time when they are not. If you are thinking of a daytime proposal, my BF and I had lunch outside in the gardens behind the Louvre. They are south of the Pyramid and the gardens are beautiful. There are rows or hedges so there is tons of privacy and my BF actually said that eating a sandwich in those gardens was his favourite meal in Paris! If the sun is shining, bring some blankets and set up a little picnic. I know...not very discrete but uber-romantic!

Good luck with your proposal and have an amazing vacation!

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your suggestions, this site has really helped me with getting ideas for my trip and I really appreciate it!!
36.gif
Funnily enough my parents just got back from Paris and I had them look at a few places for me as well just to tell me what they thought, and they said the exactly the same thing that most of you are saying regarding the Arc de Triomphe. They also said that the resteraunt at the Lourve looked really nice which I thought was kind of ironic.

I think the Lourve is starting to come to the forefront of places to do it. Its getting harder and harder to pick a place though, I have so many thoughts and so many good options that it is making it extremely difficult to decide. If anyone can tell me what the outside of the Lourve is like at night, that would help. Thanks again!

mynewobsession

Rough_Rock
I''ve been to Fauchon and it''s a really neat place. The upstairs area has a bunch of cases with beautiful and delicious desserts, breads and pastries and if you go downstairs there is a huge selection of wine, spices, and other gourmet food products. I didn''t eat in or see the restaurant but it would definitely be a classy, quintessential Paris spot to propose. And the food would be delish!

I love Paris, it''s one of my favorite cities in the entire world... you can''t find a more romantic place to propose. She''s a very lucky girl!

Good luck!!

Carrots

Shiny_Rock
this is probably past due, but if you''re still in the country and looking...

my boyfriend takes me to paris for my birthday every year and i always thought that the back of the boat of a dinner cruise down the seine at sunset would be a romantic proposal spot.

in my case, my boyfriend called the boat people in advance to let them know of the special occasion and they obliged with one of the most memorable birthdays ever. they had fireworks coming out of my cake, there was a soloist and violinist, the entire boat was singing me happy birthday first in english, then french... awesome, i tell you!! anyhow, if they helped him with my random birthday, i think that they would help you make an uber special propsal.

DCmarc11

Rough_Rock
Nope still not to late and that is an option I am still keeping open because of the way we met. However my SO is a bit of a control freak when it comes to having an itinerary and sticking to it, so it makes it a little difficult to plan something like that and have her not know something is up. Also neither of us are bringing anything too dressy, nothing that would require a jacket or tie. Could you tell me what the dress code for a dinner cruise would be? Thanks to everyone again for your suggestions, the trip is quickly approaching, leaving this Saturday, and I am still not 100% on what I''m going to do so if anyone has more ideas, I would be more than happy to hear them!
4.gif

PS Thanks to mynewobsession for your insight on Fauchon, this is really one of my top choices at the moment just because I know it is one of her favorite places!
9.gif

mynewobsession

Rough_Rock
No problem! So how did it go? Did you pop the question or did you decide to wait?? Details, details!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results