shape
carat
color
clarity

Another paraiba thread...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have received the little 1 carat cab and the jury is still out for me. It is a dreary, rainy day here so lighting for photos is not the best. It is a bit lighter in color, but "rather pretty". I do see why Yvonne used those words to describe it. It is included which doesn't really bother me, except- there is a dark one that looks to me to break the surface in the center of the cab. I would be worried about durability if that's the case. As it also was not inexpensive for a small cab- it might be a deal breaker. Thoughts from the experts (or non experts, too!!)

l1060077.jpg

l1060083.jpg

l1060084.jpg

l1060086.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
and a photo of my paraibas and pink diamond melee- maybe to use together. ;))

l1060091.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty, but I just worry about durability and fillers in highly included stones, which of course is your concern as well.

If you do set it, do not put it in an ultrasonic cleaner ever, even your jeweler, as they tend to love to use those machines after they set stones.

S

SparkliesLuver

Excuse all the questions. :)

-May I ask why the jury is still out? What specifically are you on the fence about?
-Do you have a loupe to see what's going on inside? If not, can you take it to someone you trust?
-What do you want that this one might be missing?

Knowing these things might help us help you evaluate it. Are you able to take any hand shots? Cabs can look different on your skin versus a stark white surface.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty but am always cautious about inclusions that break the surface, especially when it is on the crown/dome.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thank you TL and Chrono- those are my exact concerns.

Sparkliesluver- the things bothering me are the inclusion on the dome which I need to check better to see if it breaks the surface and that it is not strongly saturated- which will probably show better when I can take hand photos. I do have a loupe and I will try to take a photo of the dome inclusion thru it later today. And, I guess, the price- as it is much more expensive per carat than the earlier cabs sold. If it was more saturated without the dome inclusion the price would not bother me at all.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, however, I too believe the cab is pretty.

DK :love:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thanks dk168.

Ok- so Yvonne confirmed that it is a surface reaching inclusion. :((

Also, as far as saturation, do people put a plate behind a cab? I would think that could trap moisture or dirt. I've never set a cab before. Is it usually left open?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks beautiful in your pics, though your pics are not super clear. I would love to see more zoomed in photo's on your hand.
Have you viewed it already in a lot of lighting conditions?
If you feel 'the love', keep it. If not, you know what to do...

Oww, I just read your comment on the inclusion. That's a bummer...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1459537816|4014258 said:
The stone looks beautiful in your pics, though your pics are not super clear. I would love to see more zoomed in photo's on your hand.
Have you viewed it already in a lot of lighting conditions?
If you feel 'the love', keep it. If not, you know what to do...

Oww, I just read your comment on the inclusion. That's a bummer...

Haven't looked at it out and about- I'm more worried about the inclusion. Yeah, big bummer...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1459535732|4014245 said:
thanks dk168.
Also, as far as saturation, do people put a plate behind a cab? I would think that could trap moisture or dirt. I've never set a cab before. Is it usually left open?

Bummer. What did she advice as to its durability as a ring stone? I don't like plates behind my stones, including cabochons. There are many that are open at the bottom.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine has no plate:

_2728.jpeg

_2729.jpeg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1459539171|4014269 said:
pinkjewel|1459535732|4014245 said:
thanks dk168.

Bummer. What did she advice as to its durability as a ring stone? I don't like plates behind my stones, including cabochons. There are many that are open at the bottom.

Her opinion is it is OK for a ring.
I don't really want a plate, either. Recommendations for how to increase saturation in a setting without affecting glow other than a plate?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1459539729|4014274 said:
Mine has no plate:
Yours is such a beautiful paraiba and setting, Acinom. I practically drool on my keyboard overtime I see it!! Thanks for the back view.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
PinkJewel it is pretty, do you think it glows enough for you? How does it look when placed on your hand? Yvonne just sold a marquise cab with similar description to you stone, I think these paraibas sell like hotcakes :o .

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1459548384|4014321 said:
PinkJewel it is pretty, do you think it glows enough for you? How does it look when placed on your hand? Yvonne just sold a marquise cab with similar description to you stone, I think these paraibas sell like hotcakes :o .

yes, I talked with her about the marquise, but didn't really want that shape. And it still has a surface reaching inclusion. But, it was pretty and faced up to a nice size. I am trying to decide if it glows enough. I've really been too busy to play with it today.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1459549196|4014332 said:
Lovinggems|1459548384|4014321 said:

yes, I talked with her about the marquise, but didn't really want that shape. And it still has a surface reaching inclusion. But, it was pretty and faced up to a nice size. I am trying to decide if it glows enough. I've really been too busy to play with it today.

Yes take your time before deciding.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PinkJewel,
Have to come to a decision yet?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1459771869|4015176 said:
PinkJewel,
Have to come to a decision yet?

I am leaning towards keeping it. :think: They are getting so hard to find I may have to live with the inclusion. You can only see it with a loupe and I'd have to be ultra careful with a paraiba ring anyway. It does have a lovely color and glow.

I really like Yvonne's Camellia ring (photo below) with the hauynite and paraiba melee as pictured and am thinking of one basically like it. Since I always lean towards pinks it would be a nice departure for me. =) Now, what i am trying to decide is whether to put 1mm paraibas in the outer row, or diamonds, or leave it engraved. Opinions please!!!!!!!

eta- forgot to add photos :wall:

il_292.jpg

il_293.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it comes to this material you have to really decide if its worth it or not. I'm too poor for the type of material I would personally want versus whats out there in my price range these days, which is the reason why I don't have a paraiba. Let me win the lottery though and all bets are OFF! :lol:

Seriously, if you're continually questioning a stone, it may not be the stone for you. You're the only one that can decide if you want it because you seriously love it or, because its a paraiba and you just want one.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well put Arcadian...

As to your question about the outer row Pink Jewel: You might want to check out my pariaba marquis necklace that has tiny 1mm diamond melee. They are very hard to see, 1mm is small. Costwise, the diamonds probably wouldn't be too much, but then there is the setting of an additional row...I just wonder if it would really matter in the long run in terms of the impression of the ring. Engraved petals might have just as much sparkle effectively.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1459865410|4015656 said:
When it comes to this material you have to really decide if its worth it or not. I'm too poor for the type of material I would personally want versus whats out there in my price range these days, which is the reason why I don't have a paraiba. Let me win the lottery though and all bets are OFF! :lol:

Seriously, if you're continually questioning a stone, it may not be the stone for you. You're the only one that can decide if you want it because you seriously love it or, because its a paraiba and you just want one.

very good points!! I haven't even had the time to look at it these last few days- my disastrous bathroom remodeling saga continues...
I plan on looking at it in different lighting today to be sure I want to keep it.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Desertrose|1459867466|4015670 said:
Well put Arcadian...

As to your question about the outer row Pink Jewel: You might want to check out my pariaba marquis necklace that has tiny 1mm diamond melee. They are very hard to see, 1mm is small. Costwise, the diamonds probably wouldn't be too much, but then there is the setting of an additional row...I just wonder if it would really matter in the long run in terms of the impression of the ring. Engraved petals might have just as much sparkle effectively.

thank you, Desertrose- I'm not sure 1mm diamonds would add much to the ring, either. I like the ring as pictured, so what's the saying? "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous inspiration ring! I love the engraving in the outer tow

S

SparkliesLuver

I worry that you're leaning toward keeping it due to scarcity. If you're not in a time crunch, know that you can always have vendors keep an eye out for you (if you give them your parameters). I don't want you to feel pressured in your decision. That said, I totally get the desire to own one and wanting it now! ;-) :lol: Also, I wanted to note that the diamonds in my ring are 1.2mm, if that helps at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The melees in my ring are 0.9 mm to 1 mm. They are teeny tiny.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Acinom and Chrono for your input.

If I wanted melee in the outer row I believe I am limited to 1mm at most.

Sparklesluver- I think there is something to that and the thought that they are just going to keep getting higher and higher in price when found! Makes it a tough decision.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
PinkJewel I love Yvonne's setting. Is your ring going to be in rose gold? How about an extra row of pink spinels?

S

SparkliesLuver

I can understand and respect that. Some vendors offer better "deals" than others, too. ;-) It's always a tough decision; I don't envy your current one!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1459894185|4015879 said:
PinkJewel I love Yvonne's setting. Is your ring going to be in rose gold? How about an extra row of pink spinels?

Yes, I am planning rose gold- but I don't think I've ever seen pink spinels come in 1mm size.However, I did consider pink diamonds :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results