shape
carat
color
clarity

another newbie asking "is this a good diamond?"!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I (like all the other newbies) have been lurking for some time and have gone from knowing nothing about diamonds (other than the 3 C's) to feeling a little more comfortable about purchasing one for my e-ring remodel.

I have been looking at 0.70 to 0.80 range, but with good stats. My jeweller showed me some today and I chose this one:

GIA 2126441096
ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements: 5.77 - 5.81 x 3.57 mm
Carat Weight: 0.73 carat
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (3.5%)
Culet: None
FINISH:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS:
Feather, Cloud

All the diamonds he showed me were all E or F colour and excellent cut, but they all had a very silvery look to them. I always thought diamonds would look white or clear, but these looked darker. Is this normal for diamonds with the numbers on this GIA report?

Plus when I got back to the office, I checked on the HCA, and it didn't score that well - 3.6. So i went from feeling pretty confident, to feeling like a dunce again...

What do you guys think about this diamond? I am in Australia so not sure if posting the price will mean anything, plus he has quoted me on the ring(s) in total and shaved some off the setting to allow for the diamond. It's a bit complicated.

This is the diamond, not sure if it shows anything.

Thanks in advance.
x
diamond_4.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HCA dings stones with pavillion angles greater than 41. Could be a nice stone although I probably would look around some more before making a final decision.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks MGR! Should it look "silvery"?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Did you view the diamond under different lighting conditions? Diamonds look more white in some and more silvery in others. Since you are shopping in person see if you can compare it with a GIA EX with a 40.8 pavilion angle and a crown angle between 34 - 35. See if you can see the difference and which one you prefer.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Hi thbmok, no I was only indoors, so didn't look at it in the sunshine. But then again most of the time I will be indoors wearing it so I guess that is how I need it to look best.

I did have another person (other than my jeweller) offering some stones (this person is a wholesaler) but they were all SI1&2, whereas my jeweller said to stick to VS (also said has to be EX cut and prefers at least F colour). Maybe I should look at the SI stones and see if they look "whiter". For the same price as the one I posted about, I could get a lot bigger with not so good numbers.

I thought it better to get the stone from the same person making the ring, but I really don't know if I like the silvery look, good stone or not.

I have asked for the GIA numbers on a few of the stones from the other wholesaler, but he has not gotten back to me yet. If the numbers look good, I will ask to see them.

BTW I did google the silvery look issue and came across some older threads on PS about it, but none seemed to have a definitive answer on why. As all the stones the jeweller showed me looked like that (altho the stones in my ring at the moment didn't - they are prob not so great), does it mean E colours look silvery grey?

GM

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the 'silvery' color that you are seeing may be a result of the black background?

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
No, I looked at them on my fingers, and they still looked silvery. ???

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I know what effect you are talking about, and yes all of mine look "silvery" in indoor lighting. I have a H$A ideal RB D color w/ SB fluor, 2 G's, and an I/J - and they all look "silvery" indoors. I can see the color difference (I'm color sensitive), but it is much milder indoors - I can really appreciate it in sunlight. Due to the refraction of light, they don't appear "clear". Glass is clear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results