shape
carat
color
clarity

Another honest cabbie!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
NEW YORK (Feb. 7) -- Never mind diamonds -- a New York cabbie was a Texas girl''s best friend. The driver returned 31 diamond rings he found in his cab after dropping off the passenger, who had left him with a 30-cent tip on a $10.70 fare.
"All my life, I tried to be honest," said Osman Chowdhury, a native of Bangladesh. "Today is no different."

But the 41-year-old cabbie from Queens did have a message: "I''m proud of what I did so that people know New York taxi drivers are honest."

What he did started on Monday evening, when he picked up the woman at a hotel in midtown Manhattan and drove her to an apartment building several blocks away. She gave him $20 to pay the fare and asked for $9 back.

Hours later, at about 10 p.m., three other passengers with luggage discovered the woman''s suitcase when Chowdhury popped the trunk open for them.

Chowdhury first drove to the building where he had dropped off the woman. But he had no idea in which of the many apartments she might be and didn''t want to cause a disruption by knocking on doors.

He took the suitcase to the Manhattan headquarters of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, a drivers'' advocacy group to which he belongs. He and the alliance president looked inside and found two display cases with 31 diamond rings inside.

"I saw flashing, and I said, ''Oh my God! Diamonds!''" Chowdhury recalled. "I was shocked. I was trembling."

They also found a small luggage tag with a Texas telephone number they called -- the home of the woman''s mother in Dallas. Meanwhile, she called the number, too.

The woman, who said she was a jeweler, got back the gems on Monday when she arrived at the alliance office around midnight -- incredulous at her luck. She offered Chowdhury a reward -- a check for $100.

He said it never occurred to him to keep the diamonds.

"I''m not going to take someone else''s money or property to make me rich. I don''t want it that way," said the soft-spoken cabbie, who was a contractor in Bangladesh until he came to the United States 15 years ago.

He does not own a cab but rents one.

"I enjoy my life. I''m satisfied," said Chowdhury, who is single.

He didn''t even mind the meager tip.

"I think some people might be broke," he said. "Or they''re distracted."

The woman from Dallas asked that her name not be made public.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah, she should be embarassed! Getting all the diamonds back from someone she left a 30 cent tip?
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 3:12:58 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Yeah, she should be embarassed! Getting all the diamonds back from someone she left a 30 cent tip?
38.gif
Haha, yeah no joke!!!!
14.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$.30 tip? What is WRONG with people?
29.gif
Good for that cabbie, though...shows there are still people in this world who are decent human beings.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an awful woman. I love people with big hearts! My hero!
30.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
That''s ridiculous. A 30 cent tip for a cab ride and she shows her gratitude to the cabbie who returned 31 DIAMOND RINGS by offering a check for $100? What an ungrateful person.
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results