shape
carat
color
clarity

Another excellent experience in Antwerp with Paul Slegers - Infinity Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Manuel1974

Rough_Rock
Hi,
This is the first message I write here, but I''ve lurked a lot of information until now (really have to thanks this forum !)
I''m from Rome, and I''ve looked everywhere here for a diamond but prices are 2x or even 3x more than on Internet reseller.
Buying from internet however is not an option, due to custom duty.
So I decided to go to Antwerp.
Some days before I''ve contacted Paul from Infinity Diamond, based on some very good feedback here, to set an appointment.

I arrived at Antwerp this friday (July, 20) and I decided to see some shops.
Prices are very good compared to Italy, but you cannot really trust people in shops. They never have some instruments like Idealscope or H&A, or even a good Loupe so you cannot really judge cut quality.
I really can''t recommend everybody to go on Antwerp if you don''t know a really trustworthy shop or are a diamond expert, and bring with you every diamond evaluating tools !

On late morning I finally met Paul Slegers with Rob Van Beurden at Diamond House, which is the shop that sell Infinity Diamond.
Paul and Rob are very kind person and let me see some good 1.5 - 1.6 diamond to choose from.

Two diamond are cutted by Paul and the other two are good HRD and GIA certified cutted diamond.

We analyzed all the diamond with Toupe, H&A, Idealscope, Asetscope, and compare them side to side.
Paul spent lots of time explaining me all the differences, what I''ve to look for, and how to decode all the information for those tools.
I have read a lot on the subject, but Paul really traslate what I''ve read on Pricescope guide into reality. So I really appreciate that for the first time I can fully evaluate my choice.

Paul''s Infinity diamonds are perfect, you can see that it''s two AGS 0 cutted diamonds shine really a lot, more than the other two.
Price are really fair, inline with those from Internet retailer, but here you can really see and evaluate what are you buying !
I''ve to tell that, when you look only at the surface (not putting the diamond on the back), differences with the other diamond I''ve seen (which are F, H - VS1 VS2) in both color and impurity are really invisible, at least to my eyes and seeing one near the other !!!
What does really count it''s the cut, which does deliver really great differences, as far as reflected light, non blurryness of scintillation and perceived purity of diamond.

So in the end I decided for an Infinity cut diamond 1.55 ct, I, SI1, with AGS certification which is really the stricter (infact I color from AGS is really identic to H color I''ve seen on the HRD one)

Those are my diamond specs :

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.44 - 7.49 x 4.57 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Light Performance: 0
Proportion Factors: 0
Finish: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Color Grade: AGS 2.5 (I)
Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)
Carat Weight: 1.553
Fluorescence: Negligible

Table: 56.2%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown Height: 15.1%
Girdle: Faceted, 0.9% to 3.7%
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion Depth: 43.2%
Total Depth: 61.2%
Culet: Pointed

He also forwarded me by email a 3D model of the diamonds, with H&A, Idealscope and Asetscope view.

I thanks Paul for the time he spent with me and all explanation he gives me.
I''m really happy with my perfectly cut diamond, now I''ve to arrange it in a wonderful platinum ring in Rome, and I''m looking forward to make the proposal to my girlfriend !

bye
Emanuele

35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very lucky you were to meet Paul personally! You are also fortunate to own one of his beautiful diamonds! Congratulations and PLEASE come back and post pictures in the Show Me the Ring forum after you propose!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t say I am surprised you had such an excellent experience with Paul, as he is not only an expert, but a gentleman too, but thank you so much for posting your experience!!

The diamond sounds superb, good luck with your proposal, then if you could, some pics of the ring would be wonderful please!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, it sounds like you picked a real beauty!!

Manuel1974

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 9:19:46 AM
Author: Lorelei
The diamond sounds superb, good luck with your proposal, then if you could, some pics of the ring would be wonderful please!!

Sure, I will post it as soon as I get the ring !

bye
Emanuele

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the review! Always nice to see another great account of Paul. Yes, pls post pictures of your stone if you have a chance!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! Your diamond sounds beautiful and I can''t wait to see pics!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For many many years I bought into the talk about the 4c's being the QUALITY grades of a diamond.

One of Paul's vendors who posts by the name Sibelius on this forum commented to Paul, and Paul relayed ti to me that this is totally not the case. His opinion was that size, color, and clarity were rarity. The only quality that man has any control over is cutting.

Having seen how beautiful a well cut diamond is compared to the average stone that is on the market I have come to endorse this manner of thinking. I would take an AGS 0 cut H-I-J eye clean grade for my personal use over any D-Flawless that was say an AGS 5 in cut or lower.

Frankly, between AGS 0 cut diamonds, especially the optically symmetrical ones, it is very hard to discern the difference between a D and a G from the face up viewing position.

I have many clients who prefer the warmer colors and their husbands revel in the fact that they are so much less expensive than the "rarer" colors.

Congratulations on having seen and chosen a stone that makes you happy!

Wink

P.S. There is a reason Baskin and Robbins make 31 flavors, even though the vast majority of what they sell is vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. It's all about personal preference.

Manuel1974

Rough_Rock
Here are the picture of my diamond

Emanuele

diamond 1.553.jpg

bri

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just wanted to chime in myself to the Paul Slegers / Rob van Beurden fan club.

I found Paul and his Infinity brand referenced extensively on this website when I was researching the retail purchase of diamonds in Antwerp for an engagement ring. I live in Amsterdam and Antwerp is an easy train ride away. Unfortunately, most everything I saw said, simply, "don''t do it." Antwerp''s for wholesalers, all the good stones get sent to North America, etc. But all the glowing reviews Paul has received on this site over the years convinced me to take a chance and contact him. I certainly was not disappointed.

Now, I was looking for a fairly modest (~.50 ct.) stone by the apparent standards of this site and he had no stones of that size in Antwerp but there were a couple princess cuts that fit my budget in the US that he promptly recalled for me, having them sent to Rob van Beurden at Diamond House.

Both Paul and Rob met with me and my fiancee at the Diamond House office on a Saturday morning that was also a national holiday and gave me as detailed an education in the 4 C''s as is possible in an hour with all the toys/tools at their disposal. They both seemed extremely enthusiastic to teach these novices about their craft and trade and made the experience fun and informative.

It turned out Paul remembered the two diamonds he was showing us well as they were two of the first Infinity Princess cuts -- and of the very small number of that size -- he ever produced.

After Paul finished with his presentation of the diamonds and we chose one, Rob took over, showing us different settings and giving us an idea of how my fiancee''s diamond would look in each one. He instilled us with so much confidence we chose some wedding rings as well.

Rob managed the construction of the rings during the following week and we made another trip down to see him that Saturday where he met with us in his office, ensured that all our rings fit and that we were completely satisfied. Of course in all the excitement we took all the papers about the diamond but forgot the valuation certificate for the set of rings. Rob emailed me promptly to say that he''d already put it in the mail for us.

Thanks, Rob and Paul, for making this most important purchase a completely positive experience for us both.

-- Brian

Manuel1974

Rough_Rock
Brian,
congratulation for you and your fiancee !!!

Could you post a photo of the ring ?

bye
Emanuele
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results