shape
carat
color
clarity

Another car seat question- shoulder strap placement

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
So, as you know, with a rear facing car seat, the shoulder straps should be even with/at or below the shoulders. My son is in an awkward in-between phase where the lower slot seems way too low, but the next slot up is not quite right either. I believe the straps are even with his shoulders if he sits perfectly in his seat, but if he twists or slouches (which 2 year olds tend to do!), the straps move to above his shoulders.

I have a collage that I had taken for a different purpose, but it shows the straps. Would you feel comfortable leaving them where they are now, or would you lower them again? There's such a huge difference btwn slots that the in-between phase is annoying!

redactedcarseat.jpg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have the sliding straps which I really like for this reason. I remember with DD's carseat, there is a two or three inch difference between slots. I think what you show looks perfect actually. If you have them too low, it would seem that could slip off his shoulder so I would think your current position is best.

Have you guys noticed a lot of people buckle their children in the carseat so loosely? I've seen so many people bucket the harness very loosely and the chest buckle is down by the belly! :rolleyes:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Puppmom! Sliding straps sound like a dream! What car seat is that? Fortunately with DS' seat being RFing, I can adjust the straps pretty easily, but I'm already thinking about having to check my DD's Frontier in our other car. That thing's a beast and a pain to undo.

I have to admit, I've been guilty of doing the harness thing too loose and chest clip too low when DD was a baby. ;( I guess it never occurred to me it wasn't called a belly clip! Now I know much better!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have the Evenflo Symphony. I wonder when they'll make carseats where the straps automatically adjust like an everyday seatbelt? Sometimes, we buckle DS in and all seems well then I catch a peek in the rear view and not so much. :roll:

MIL REALLY struggles with the carseat and it makes me nervous. She tries to keep the straps in the perfect position so she never has to adjust them. The result is she struggles to get DS in because there's no wiggle room in the straps. Then, once buckled, it's not a good fit either. We even changed her carseat to this one: (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4133855&prodFindSrc=search). There are cranks on the side to make it really simple to adjust. Turn toward the back of the seat to tighten and turn the other way to loosen. She STILL needs a *refresher* (as she calls it) every now and then and she's with DS 2 days per week.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I would keep the shoulder strap at the lower slot for your DS. It's supposed to be at or below for RFing, and it looks to be above his shoulders on the higher slot.

I have to adjust my DD's frontier straps. It's supposed to be above or at shoulder, and it's below her shoulder now. This thread reminded me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1353339202|3310118 said:
I would keep the shoulder strap at the lower slot for your DS. It's supposed to be at or below for RFing, and it looks to be above his shoulders on the higher slot.

I have to adjust my DD's frontier straps. It's supposed to be above or at shoulder, and it's below her shoulder now. This thread reminded me.

This. It should be at or lower as QT said. That is too high.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results