shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Antique Cushion Search...

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Budget : 16-17k total (might be able to stretch it to 18k) this is including the setting.

Carat size: 2+ carats
Color: I-K
Clarity: Eyeclean :)
Culet: anything except massively huge culets
ring size: 3.5 normally but I can swell to a 3.75

I would prefer an actual antique cushion as opposed to a cushion cut to look like antique cushions. I have been in contact with JBEG but nothing on their radar lately for the size I'm looking for. I've recently contacted OWD and found possibly two cushions but I am unsure about how I feel based on the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s6oPF9dzcw
I adore the facets of this one, however I was told there is a feather in the crown on the diamond, I can see on a still picture, but cannot find in the video.

and the larger of the two and nearing almost at the max of the budget :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNS8N4QdAU

I was told the diamond is just dark in the video but is not so IRL.

Options:
a) go with the smaller one and halo it?
b) go with the honker and get a simple solitaire?
c) wait for more inventory to show up at JBEG or OWD?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
side by side photo.

two%20cushions.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me, it would depend on the price difference. What are the measurements of each stone?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Yenny: The smaller one is 7.76 * 7.52 and the larger one is 8.59 * 8.10 . The price difference between the two is $5779.

Smaller one is a K SI1 and the larger one is a J VS2.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, it's tough to compare the two with the lighting being so very different in the two videos- the first, smaller cushion appears to be brighter, but it's the one that's spotlit.

Have you asked Adam to compare the performance of the two side by side and give you a recommendation? If there's a clear winner in that category, that's the one I'd go with- but if they're close to the same in terms of performance, I'd go with the bigger one.

The facet patterning on both of them is attractive to my eye. And I like the size of the larger one- it's more the spread you'd want if you're paying for 2+ carats.

Also, if you're worried about the look of the culet, it should be a lot less noticeable IRL. My OEC has a culet that's considered large on the report, but it is hardly noticeable to the eye... most of the time it blends in with the other facets.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
LGK: I have not. But I did ask about the faceting pattern on both and he said they are very similar, almost like the larger one is a "older sibling." I'm pretty sure it's not the typical maltese cross I am seeing on both as the facets light up as the diamond is being twirled on the stand (Unless I'm wrong?).

Perhaps having a video with both of them in more natural lighting would be more suitable?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Is there a way you can have them shipped to you or an appraiser so that you can see them in person? I think I would hold out until I found one that I totally love.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it'd be great if he could maybe do a video with both of them, side by side in the same video. That'd tell you more.

A good maltese cross does light up, rather than appearing dark. They only look dark in camera pictures like arrows do in H&A stones- the camera reflects into them, whereas in real life, you see the cross (or arrows) as silvery or reflecting rainbow dispersion. The fact that they both showed light reflecting in the maltese cross area is a really good thing! (An AVC is a good example of what a cushion with the maltese cross effect should do- that is, flash big chunks of light from the cross's facets.) I see the cross shape more in the smaller one if I remember right.

And yeah, I'd ask Adam's opinion. I've found his help useful in the past- he's seemed pretty straight up if there's a stone he prefers over another, and in my case when I bought from him he recommended the cheaper stone.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As always, LGK makes great suggestions! A video where you can really compare apples to apples (i.e. side by side on the same video), will be incredibly helpful. Considering that you'd be getting the trifecta (larger size, better color/clarity), $5700 more doesn't seem too bad. I'll be interested to see the video....

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Mogster: I do not believe so. He did mention though, if I am not totally in love with it.. I can return it and get the other one.

LGK: Adam is very honest in my dealings with him as I've purchased a 2.73 antique cushion with him 2 years ago but had to sell it due to a medical family hardship. I Emailed him asking for a video with them both.. perhaps in natural lighting. Your ring is TDF! I remember seeing that honker on ebay! It looks much more at home in your current setting than that ginormous halo ! On another note, is it me or is there a chip on the girdle of the bigger stone in the video?

Yenny: I'll post the video as soon as I receive it! Did you set your antique oval yet?

For reference the smaller stone is 2.26 cts while the larger stone is 2.92 carats.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1311809918|2978391 said:
Mogster: I do not believe so. He did mention though, if I am not totally in love with it.. I can return it and get the other one.

LGK: Adam is very honest in my dealings with him as I've purchased a 2.73 antique cushion with him 2 years ago but had to sell it due to a medical family hardship. I Emailed him asking for a video with them both.. perhaps in natural lighting. Your ring is TDF! I remember seeing that honker on ebay! It looks much more at home in your current setting than that ginormous halo ! On another note, is it me or is there a chip on the girdle of the bigger stone in the video?Yenny: I'll post the video as soon as I receive it! Did you set your antique oval yet?

For reference the smaller stone is 2.26 cts while the larger stone is 2.92 carats.

I was wondering that too. It was hard to tell- could've just been a thicker area- but it did catch my eye as well.

Aw, thanks! I did think that original setting was a little :shock: bit much for it! (Ridiculous it took me until *this April* to settle on a permanent setting, huh? :rodent: )

Ugh, that's too bad you had to sell your original stone. Especially with having to replace it at soooo much higher prices! I was shopping for my mom this last week- she finally caved and decided she wanted a 1+ ct antique stone, so you better believe I was alllll over that project, haha! It seriously took my breath away, how much higher prices are. She's paying almost double what I did for a similar stone 3 years ago (I got a 1.22 ct, hers is 1.30, same stats). And the one we found her is a deal compared to other stuff out there! Yikes. I hope you find something perfect- I do actually think these two stones have potential to be lovely in person- it's so hard to tell, though, especially if you're on the pickier side like I am, and you too probably considering you've had a lovely antique stone already!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
LGK:

I think I saw that honker back in late 2008 if I remember correctly. Haha Tis the life of a PSer to be hemming and hawing over a setting :)

When I bought the 2.73 K SI 1 stone back in 2009 it was 12K! And measured up nicely to at 8.78 X 8.21 To get that kind of spread now.. omg, the agony. I would probably have to be closer to a 3.5 carat stone and that is way out of budget. ;(

Haven's OMC doesn't seem to have a maltese cross and it is so lovely ! I was :love: over it !

Also, were you able to get some negotiating wiggle room with Adam at all on stone?

Sorry, I know I am all over the place.. but I'm kind of frazzled as we're getting closer to my Bf's deadline on a decision.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1311810902|2978408 said:
LGK:

I think I saw that honker back in late 2008 if I remember correctly. Haha Tis the life of a PSer to be hemming and hawing over a setting :)

When I bought the 2.73 K SI 1 stone back in 2009 it was 12K! And measured up nicely to at 8.78 X 8.21 To get that kind of spread now.. omg, the agony. I would probably have to be closer to a 3.5 carat stone and that is way out of budget. ;(

Haven's OMC doesn't seem to have a maltese cross and it is so lovely ! I was :love: over it !

Also, were you able to get some negotiating wiggle room with Adam at all on stone?

Sorry, I know I am all over the place.. but I'm kind of frazzled as we're getting closer to my Bf's deadline on a decision.
Not a smidge of a discount from Adam! The one thing I realize I didn't ask then, and would now, is if he'd discount for wire transfer specifically- I recall I paid with a CC. But he did say no discount, no way, no how.

Oh god, yes, Haven's OMC is just to DIE for isn't it? It seems like the stones that are more likely to be called "OMC" rather than cushion are less maltese-crossy. Though that could just be coincidence... I didn't have much of a feeling one way or the other over the maltese cross until I ended up getting an AVC for a bracelet- and actually, it's quite a lovely effect in person IMO, I'm totally a convert now! It's a lot less... in your face than you'd expect from photos, I guess.

Oh yeah. That is a serious ouch between 2009 prices and now. Ugh. It's hard to find some sizes too, like the 2 ct + seem particularly slim pickings right now.

I think it was early '08ish that I got the ebay OEC, yeah. That was a painful few days waiting for it to arrive, let me tell you! I seriously almost had a heart attack waiting for FedEx!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't get a discount either and the money was wired for 2.73.

I do notice that a lot actually, when it has less of a maltese cross it ends up being classified as a OMC.. which kind of perplexes me since a lot of them have a more cushion-y outline than a rounded.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results